Basie Tenormen

Alon Marcus

Over the years there were many great tenor players in Basie's band. I know that you'll have a lot of interesting things to tell me about 'em and maybe some recommendations for recordings. I won't mention Prez. He already has his own thread.

Herschel Evans is the first one, the antithesis of Prez.

Ray%20Bauduc.jpg

Some other exceptional players of the old testament are:

Buddy Tate

buddytate.jpg

Don Byas

kansas18.jpg

Illinois Jacquet

Big_Band_Jazz_Biography_Illinois_Jacquet.jpg

The wonderful Wardell Gray

grayfatseager.jpg

and recently deseased Lucky Thompson

_40446477_luckythompson.jpg

The new testament also had wonderful tenor players

Frank Wess and Frank Foster

frank_foster_lg.jpg

Paul Quinichette (this is the best Quinichette picture I googled)

LPre%20171.jpg

and Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis

davis_eddie_afrojaws~_101b.jpg

Now this is a list of tremendous players and they all have been with Basie. What do you have to say about these guys and what's there to listen from their solo recordings?

Edited by Alon Marcus

A record I used to listen to a lot featured Frank Foster. Hope Meets Foster -- Elmo Hope Quartet and Quintet (Prestige/OJC). All Hope and Foster tunes, too, except "Georgia on my Mind." As I recall, Gary Giddins picked it as Foster's best outside of Basie.

I saw the Count Basie Orchestra live in Gothenburg yesterday. The current tenorists are Doug Miller (who replaced Eric Dixon in 1989) and Doug Lawrence (who replaced Kenny Hing in 2003). Both were fine; Lawrence soloed more frequently than Miller.

I must say however that the one who stole the show was guest soloist Gunhild Carling. She joined the band for two numbers at the end, one being the ultrafast Jumpin’ at the Woodside, and she showed incredible technique, great jazz feeling, and had that fat type of tone that you mostly associate with pre-bop trombonists. I had heard her name before from trad/swing contexts, but I had no idea she was this good. The band members were clearly impressed. Check her out if you get the chance. Oh, and Butch Miles at the drums was great to see too. But I’m derailing the thread. Back to talk about tenors! :g

Isn't Budd Johnson on one of those lenghty Roulette live dates?

For me, Prez, once and forever...

I love some of those later recordings with Lockjaw and Dixon, and of course the NT band with the Franks (and Billy Mitchell!!!), but Prez was the best.

Evans, ok... Tate same, Byas, cool... Gray, a great player, but he didn't fit in really (but I love that foto of Fats with the pants up... and Eager, too!)

Something true about the pairings, though (Evans/Prez and the Franks).

But really, the vibe that Prez brought to the OT band, freely floating on top and in and out of the band, that's something we never heard again, and those moments are some of the most beautiful in all recorded jazz I've heard!

A record I used to listen to a lot featured Frank Foster. Hope Meets Foster -- Elmo Hope Quartet and Quintet (Prestige/OJC). all< Hope and Foster tunes, too, except "Georgia on my Mind." As I recall, Gary Giddins picked it as Foster's best outside of Basie.

Nothing special on Hope meets Foster, nice session (could you expect less?) but no more than this.

My favorite Foster so far is Coalition from Elvin Jones, where he is teamed with another tenor genious; George Coleman.

blue%20note4%20049.jpg.

This session is also on Jones' Mosaic.

Interesting cover of Rouse and Qunichette--does anyone happen to know where that photo was taken?

For me, the combination of Jaws and the Vice Pres in the early 50s was superb--the contrast really highlights what's great in both of them. And I enjoy the tracks where Jaws is on tenor and Basie is on organ. Has anybody's SOUND on tenor ever meshed better with organ than Jaws?!