God I hope this story is overblown right now!!!

There are also numerous New Orleans artists who are unaccounted for, including Irma Thomas and Fats Domino. Allen Toussaint ("Lady Marmalade,: etc.) is reported as being in the Super Dome crowd, the Neville's are safe in Memphis, but their houses are gone.

Anyone know of other victims whose names we are familiar with?

Yea, I saw Aaron Neville being interviewed on MSNBC.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't see the point in stealing a TV when there is no electricity.

I can comprehend taking diapers, and food & water, and charcoal, and things like that, although I still don't see whether the US is doing food & supply drops like we've done elsewhere.

The only deepwater port in the United States served by six class one railroads. This gives port users direct and economical rail service to or from anywhere in the country. Also, is one of America’s leading general cargo ports, including the USA’s top market share for import steel, natural rubber, plywood and coffee.

This is a reason to potentially reconstruct the commercial areas of New Orleans, but not to put 500,000 residents there.

Guy

Not sure how to respond to that. Couldn't you make the same case about parts of (your beloved) California? Or, it's a good thing you weren't running things in San Fransisco in 1906. Are you proposing a city of longshoremen only?

I dunno. Assuming that the city's infrastructure is largely totaled, doesn't it make sense to resettle the people who lived there in a less vulnerable area nearby? I believe that's what happened after the Galveston hurricane in the early 20th century. New Orleans has certain extreme vulnerabilities that aren't shared by neighboring Gulf Coast communities also exposed to powerful hurricanes. Or alternatively, require property owners in NO to purchase hurricane insurance.

By the way, I want to apologize for my posts, since they were probably very callous given the calamity that struck the city and you directly.

Guy

Edited by Guy

The report I saw on CNN that was most disturbing is that there are thousands at the Convention Center with no food, water or sanitation. People are dying as we speak there and dozens of bodies litter the inside of the Convention Center. There is no food or water or help being given there and people are in a state of dire straights. Yet the only government contact they have is soldiers driving through with guns pointed, and they won't stop. Unbelievable.

CNN just reported that snipers are shooting at hospital vehicles in N.O>, and Jack Cafferty went off on the administration's neglect. The very conservative Union Leader carries a strong editorial that is highly critical of Bush.

The tragedy of what these people are going through is compounded by the neglect.

mainLogo.gif

Editorials Raise Questions About President's Response to Katrina--and Lack of Preparations

By E&P Staff

Published: August 31, 2005 10:30 PM ET

NEW YORKAs the truth sinks in--this is the worst natural disaster in the nation's history--editorials in a wide range of newspapers have now raised critical issues about the lack of preparation, the effects of so many National Guard sent to Iraq, and the response of President Bush to the tragedy this week.

One of the most stalwart conservative newspapers in the nation, the Union Leader of New Hampshire, today blasted Bush's response to the great Gulf Coast hurricane.

"A better leader would have flown straight to the disaster zone and announced the immediate mobilization of every available resource to rescue the stranded, find and bury the dead, and keep the survivors fed, clothed, sheltered and free of disease," the editorial declared. "The cool, confident, intuitive leadership Bush exhibited in his first term, particularly in the months immediately following Sept. 11, 2001, has vanished. In its place is a diffident detachment unsuitable for the leader of a nation facing war, natural disaster and economic uncertainty.

"Wherever the old George W. Bush went, we sure wish we had him back."

On Thursday, after the president returned to Washington, The New York Times mocked his speech: "George W. Bush gave one of the worst speeches of his life yesterday, especially given the level of national distress and the need for words of consolation and wisdom. In what seems to be a ritual in this administration, the president appeared a day later than he was needed. He then read an address of a quality more appropriate for an Arbor Day celebration: a long laundry list of pounds of ice, generators and blankets delivered to the stricken Gulf Coast. He advised the public that anybody who wanted to help should send cash, grinned, and promised that everything would work out in the end."

The Washington Post, meanwhile, called for a close look at what should have been done differently, saying "it will be extremely important to better understand the causes of this long-predicted disaster and to determine what, if anything, could have prevented it. This administration has consistently played down the possibility of environmental disaster, in Louisiana and everywhere else. The president's most recent budgets have actually proposed reducing funding for flood prevention in the New Orleans area, and the administration has long ignored Louisiana politicians' requests for more help in protecting their fragile coast, the destruction of which meant there was little to slow down the hurricane before it hit the city.

"It is inappropriate to 'blame' anyone for a natural disaster. But given how frequently the impact of this one was predicted, and given the scale of the economic and human catastrophe that has resulted, it is certainly fair to ask questions about disaster preparations. Congress, when it returns, should rise above the blame game and instead probe the state of the nation's preparation for handling major natural catastrophes, particularly those that threaten crucial regions of the country."

The Albuquerque (N.M.) Tribune asked: "Like the National Guard, is FEMA itself being stretched too thin by the number and increasing intensity of natural disasters such as hurricanes and wildfires? That's not to mention the potential for earthquakes, including the so-called 'Big One' in California."

I guess I don't understand why it doesn't seem that they can even get basic supplies like food and water to these people this many days after the event.

Where is the help? I think our government needs to focus much more attention on sending help RIGHT AWAY!!!! I understand that this is an unprecedented situation, but come on guys, let's GET A PLAN ALREADY!!!

The Astrodome is not going to hold even close to everyone. Many more major cities need to volunteer stadiums, convention centers, etc.

Jack Cafferty on CNN has been making some excellent comments, IMHO.

Where is the help?

God help these poor people.

Edited for spelling

Edited by Free For All

The Astrodome is not going to hold even close to everyone. Many more major cities need to volunteer stadiums, convention centers, etc.

I've read reports that Texas has offered the Alamodome up as well. But I've also read reports that the Alamodome is under consideration for the Saints as their "home" stadium this season. So that wouldn't work if there are evacuees living there.

I did not listen to the whole press conference with Bush today but everything must be done to help these people and quickly. I must say that I am surprised that your president did not ask for international help. The damage seems so huge that surrounding countries like Canada and Southern American countries and even European states should be asked to intervene. Did he ask for international help or do the US intend to rescue all these people themselves?

Edited by ASNL77

I'm simply stunned at the incompetence displayed here. I know this is a disaster of a magnitude which makes it very difficult to help fast and efficiently, but what I'm seeing on CNN and reading on the Net makes me think that the US seems to have a lot of efficient (well, sort of) plans when it comes around to helping others, but when their own people are dying, nobody seems to be able to get his/her head out of his/her rear end.

I remember how efficiently the US airlifted supplies into Berlin way back when, etc., and now they can't get supplies to dying citizens in NO. WTF?

Simply unbelievable.

And very, very sad to see.

I do believe the Bush administration has been slow to act with this disaster, no doubt. But that is government is in many ways... Congress has been on vacation as well, they are supposed to reconvene later today.FEMA is supposedly spending more than $500 million a day , and they are trying to help Mississippi, and Alabama as well. 1500 National guard troops are coming in a day. There are ships like that huge hospital ship are on the way, as are other navel ships, but they are a week away, coming from the northeast. This is probably too late for those in N.O., unfortunately. It has to take some time to get enough food and water for everyone. Hell, water is the MOST important issue. There is no infrastructure now. There is flooding everywhere. Are the airports still under water? People still have to be rescued from rooftops. The flooding started Tuesday, and it is Thursday afternoon, you can't expect miracles, when was the last time a large city was completely ruined in the U.S. anyway?

The looting issue...stealing food or water is not really an issue, except some folks might horde the stuff, or try to re-sell. but There has to be something done to stop the lawlessness. The police can't communicate,(And they can't lock anyone up, can they?) and I am guessing no one else can communicate when they are trying to coordinate operations either. The mayor said it had the looting had to stop, it was making N.O. look bad. Hospitals are having to deal with looters. Someone took a shot at a helicopter. The media has to be protected as well. It has to be safe for people trying to help others. Just a horrible, horrible situation.

The damage seems so huge that surrounding countries like Canada and Southern American countries and even European states should be asked to intervene. Did he ask for international help or do the US intend to rescue all these people themselves?

Canadian Forces on standby to help U.S. aid efforts

Chief of Defence Staff General Rick Hillier said Thursday the Canadian Forces have been put on standby to help the United States deal with the aftermath of hurricane Katrina.

Gen. Hillier said he notified his American counterparts that Canada was prepared to offer whatever assistance was needed. He also noted that the Disaster Assistance Response Team (DART), which was deployed in the Asian tsunami earlier this year, was put on a one-hour notice in Kingston, Ont.

“They have but to ask and we in the Canadian Forces would have it rolling or sailing or flying southward as quickly as possible,” he told reporters Thursday.

Canada offered to transport goods in and out of the devastated region using Hercules aircrafts and helicopters. Gen. Hillier also offered electrical generators and drawing from experience in other disasters, like last year's tsunami, he said Canada was also prepared to establish water purification centres in the region.

Canada offered small boats and diving teams to help recover bodies as well, he said

“Their message back to me was very clear. Firstly it was a heartfelt thanks from their part.”

Gen. Hillier said he was confident that if his U.S. counterparts needed help, they would ask.

“In short, we want to be ready to go as soon as any need is identified that we may be able to fill,” he said.

He said he also made the offer to the U.S. Ambassador David Wilkins.

Earlier Thursday, Prime Minister Paul Martin called U.S. President George W. Bush, offering his condolences for the hundreds and perhaps thousands of those who died in hurricane Katrina.

Edited by Robert J

My take on the looting:

Food, Water, Diapers, even clothes: this is needed stuff, and anyone that complains about it, considering that nobody's in a position to sell it, can fuck off. Plain and simple. There are times for capitalism and there are times for understanding. This falls into the understanding category.

TV's, Jewlry, Toasters: fucking idiots.

Guns: those fuckers should be shot on sight. Nobody's stealing those to collect them. When people start firing on those there to help, it's time to get medieval on their asses.