Brad Mehldau

scottb

If I were gonna pick just one Mehldau title to suggest, I'd go with "Art of the Trio Vol 3. - The Songs".

Although, one could probably argue that nearly all of his releases are uniformly good – and, well -- they're also all uniformly uniform. Or at least that’s probably the case for all of his trio records (the category which the majority of his releases fall under). In that sense, practically any of his “Art of the Trio” records (vols. 1-5) are equally worthy of a spin.

I guess I could add that the “live” ones (Art of the Trio - vols 2, 4 & 5), are probably more adventuresome than the “studio” ones (vols 1 & 3 -- plus his “Introducing Brad Mehldau” debut release, and his most recent trio record: “Anything Goes”).

The oddball Mehldau releases are as follows…

“Largo” was produced by a Rock producer, and is by far the most adventuresome record Brad’s ever turned out (at least IMHO). It has an extended line-up, including a brass quintet on some tracks, a woodwind quintet on others, and Brad plays vibes on some tracks. Some love it, some dislike it (including some who probably really dislike it). It ain’t a perfect record, but at least Brad was trying new things – and that ALWAYS gets points in my book. That said, I think it’s a VERY interesting release, and one I’m very glad I own.

More oddballs...

“Elegiac Cycle” is a solo disc, and is really outstanding (IMHO). “Places” is half solo, and half trio tunes, and is also quite good (and the solo tunes alternate with the trio tunes - and the effect works quite well). “Live in Tokyo” is another solo outing (which I haven’t heard yet).

Still, all that said, if I were picking just one -- I'd still probably go with "Art of the Trio Vol 3. - The Songs".

Anybody think otherwise?? Happy to hear what others think about Brad's output.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Well how about your next choice RT?  Yourmusic only has Art of the Trio 1 and 4, Places, Largo, Live in Tokyo and Anything Goes

I've only heard AotT4 and it pushed getting more Mehldau stuff way down the priority list for me. A great version of "Exit Music for a Film", though.

If the solo disc is anywhere near the quality of his set at the Newport Jazz Festival this year, it's worth getting.

Guy

Well how about your next choice RT?  Yourmusic only has Art of the Trio 1 and 4, Places, Largo, Live in Tokyo and Anything Goes

I would buy in this order:

Art of the Trio Vol.1

Art of the Trio Vol.4

Anything goes

Largo

Live in Tokyo is a solo concert with very good moments. His Radiohead song interpretation is great.

Edited by Alfred

I would get, in order of preference, Art of the Trio 4, Art of the Trio 1, Largo, and Anything Goes. Though I'm only certain about putting Art of the Trio 4 first.

If you can find the other volumes, I would go for Art of the Trio 3 and 2 before anything else (and, actually, I would think those two would suffice unless yuo become a big fan).

In my opinion, almost every one of them is great, but my personal list would look like this:

1. Art of the Trio 3: Songs (a great, concice introduction...plus it features one of my favorite solos, on the 1st tune)

2. Art of the Trio 2 (live Vanguard date...as epic as Songs is concise)

3. Anything Goes

4. Art of the Trio 4 (another great Vanguard date)

5. Elegiac Cycle (some people aren't into solo Mehldau, and while I am not so much into the recent Live in Tokyo, I love this one)

Enjoy! And if you get a chance to catch the trio live, don't miss it.

nathan

Edited by nathan

Sorry, quick P.S. with couple more things:

1. I enthusiastically second the above recommendation for Charles Lloyd's The Water is Wide...great album, with wonderful playing by all, including Mehldau at his best. And Billy Higgins.

2. I haven't heard much about a fantastic duo recording Brad did with saxophonist Joel Frahm last year. It's called Don't Explain, and it's a gorgeous record well worth searching out.

nathan

I thought Anything Goes was ok, I was satisfied with the performance of about half of the tunes and the rest seemed run-of-the-mill, which would have been ok to see in concert but not strong enough on the record for me to return to repeatedly. I hope Day is Done is better.

• 1 month later...

Okay, so here's a question about Mehldau's trio records. We have (so far) five releases either titled or subtitled The Art of the Trio, and three releases by the trio that are not so entitled:

The Art of the Trio, Volume One (1997)

Live at the Village Vanguard: The Art of the Trio, Volume Two (1998)

Songs: The Art of the Trio, Volume Three (1998)

The Art of the Trio, Volume 4: Back at the Vanguard (1999)

Places (2000)

Progression: Art of the Trio, Volume 5 (2001)

Anything Goes (2004)

Day is Done (2005)

So, why aren't Places and Anything Goes "Art of the Trio" records? When Places was released, I thought maybe that Mehldau had abandoned that motif - but then Progression: The Art of the Trio, Volume 5 comes along. Then another non-"Art of the Trio" release with Anything Goes.

I can understand dropping the franchise title with the latest release, since Jeff Ballard replaces trio original Jorge Rossy on drums. But the earlier inconsistency seems random.

Stupid question, but looking for insight.

Edited by gdogus

Is it possible that the material on volume 5 was actually recorded before Places? Maybe WB had some material in the can that was ready to go, they just weren't ready to release a 2CD set right away for whatever reason.

Good guess, but - nope. Places was recorded in early 2000, Volume 5 in late September 2000.

Still wondering about the trivial...

Edited by gdogus

• 1 month later...

Okay, so here's a question about Mehldau's trio records. We have (so far) five releases either titled or subtitled The Art of the Trio, and three releases by the trio that are not so entitled:

The Art of the Trio, Volume One (1997)

Live at the Village Vanguard: The Art of the Trio, Volume Two (1998)

Songs: The Art of the Trio, Volume Three (1998)

The Art of the Trio, Volume 4: Back at the Vanguard (1999)

Places (2000)

Progression: Art of the Trio, Volume 5 (2001)

Anything Goes (2004)

Day is Done (2005)

For the sake of completeness (haven't actually listened to it) you should add this:

Brad Mehldau & Jorge Rossy Trio: When I Fall In Love (Fresh Sound New Talent, FSNT-007)

Featuring: Brad Mehldau (p), Mario Rossy (b), Jordi Rossy (d)

Tracklisting:

1. Anthropology

2. At A Loss

3. When I Fall In Love

4. Countdown

5. Convalescent

6. I Fall In Love Too Easily

7. I Didn't Know What Time It Was

Recorded in Barcelona, 1993

F