Tina Brooks!

Indestructible!

Hi All,

I was spinning the RVG of Jimmy Smith's House Party last night, and was reminded of how damn good Tina Brooks was... his solo on Confirmation just cooks! I'm constantly amazed that a solo recorded almost 50 years ago has the ability to grab my attention and make me utter those immortal words - Fuck, that was great!

I think I have most everything Tina played on, but wasn't aware of how good he was on House Party until last night! :tup:tup

I'm not saying Tina was a legend, or a genius, or anything like that... but he was damn good - excellent, even - and I wish things had worked out for him a little bit better than they did. It's tough to know that just a few years after this session he didn't record anything further.

Anyone know of any live shows circulating out there?

Cheers,

Shane

Edited by Indestructible!

I have almost the entire Tina Brooks discography on my iPod, except for a couple of tracks with Sonny Thompson and the Ray Charles stuff. 80 tunes in all - not nearly enough.

Live shows would be indeed be a find, but there must not be any since he hardly ever gigged at all. The most likely would be the gig at Yale with Herbie Nichols and Roswell Rudd mentioned in the Nichols Mosaic booklet. I did call Yale a few years ago to see if there was anything, but no luck. This being said, I didn't pursue it very far. What a find that would be.

Bertrand.

I have almost the entire Tina Brooks discography on my iPod, except for a couple of tracks with Sonny Thompson and the Ray Charles stuff.  80 tunes in all - not nearly enough.

Live shows would be indeed be a find, but there must not be any since he hardly ever gigged at all.  The most likely would be the gig at Yale with Herbie Nichols and Roswell Rudd mentioned in the Nichols Mosaic booklet.  I did call Yale a few years ago to see if there was anything, but no luck.  This being said, I didn't pursue it very far.  What a find that would be.

Bertrand.

Tina of course plays on Kenny Burrell's "On View At The Five Spot Cafe", and on Jimmy Smit's "Cool Blues" which was recorded at Smalls Paradise. Nothing else that I'm aware of.

Live shows would be indeed be a find, but there must not be any since he hardly ever gigged at all.  The most likely would be the gig at Yale with Herbie Nichols and Roswell Rudd mentioned in the Nichols Mosaic booklet.  I did call Yale a few years ago to see if there was anything, but no luck.

Bertrand.

Tina of course plays on Kenny Burrell's "On View At The Five Spot Cafe", and on Jimmy Smit's "Cool Blues" which was recorded at Smalls Paradise. Nothing else that I'm aware of.

Hi Bertrand & Mailman,

Yeah, that gig with Herbie and Roswell would be something else, I'm sure! If Tina plays on that the way he played (at times) on Cool Blues, it would be a damn fine set! Different groove, I know, but I really like the sound that Tina gets on Cool Blues, and the RVG remastering (and pitch correction) really brings it out!

On View At The Five Spot is a real nice set as well... I wonder if a remastering could clean up the sound on that one as well?

Cheers,

Shane

Re: live shows, I seem to recall that a DVD featuring a live performance by...was it an R&B or Latin band?--with Tina Brooks in the band was recently released.  I forget the details, though.

Hi Nate,

Hey, thanks for that! I'll look around and see what I can find... I don't typically think of DVD's when hunting for live shows, but now I will!

Cheers,

Shane

The photos of Tina playing at The Blue Morocco (one dated 1956, the other 1966 - can that possibly be right?) in the Mosaic set have long had me salivating for the discovery of some private recordings of a club date or two. The photo dated 1966 is particularly evocative of a man in the zone.

The photos of Tina playing at The Blue Morocco (one dated 1956, the other 1966 - can that possibly be right?) in the Mosaic set have long had me salivating for the discovery of some private recordings of a club date or two. The photo dated 1966 is particularly evocative of a man in the zone.

Hi Jim,

I don't have the Brooks Mosaic set (just the individual CD's), but damn... I'd love to hear either of the 1956 or 1966 sets! You're right about the fact that the 1966 set would just burn... I know the Blue Morocco was still around in the Bronx at that time, so maybe that date is correct. Would be great if it was! :excited:

Cheers,

Shane

Edited by Indestructible!

Hi All,

I was spinning the RVG of Jimmy Smith's House Party last night, and was reminded of how damn good Tina Brooks was... his solo on Confirmation just cooks!  I'm constantly amazed that a solo recorded almost 50 years ago has the ability to grab my attention and make me utter those immortal words - Fuck, that was great!

I think I have most everything Tina played on, but wasn't aware of how good he was on House Party until last night!  :tup  :tup

I'm not saying Tina was a legend, or a genius, or anything like that... but he was damn good - excellent, even - and I wish things had worked out for him a little bit better than they did.  It's tough to know that just a few years after this session he didn't record anything further.

Tina Brooks was THE MAN for sure. He's a legend to me, maybe even a genius (though I have problems with that word.) Certainly one of my top ten jazz tenors of all time.

I'm sure you'll like the Ray Charles live in Brazil DVD. As I recall, it's surprisingly affordable, too. And dig those wacky commercials!