Jim Hall - CONCIERTO

JSngry

Ok, I bought the LP when it was first issued (long story...), but had totally slept on this reissue until a few days ago.

What a NICE package this is. They've added enough extra material to make a single LP set into nearly a double-LP, and don't none of it suck. Then there's Ron Carter - this has got to be one of his best post-Miles outings, period. All the floody-doody crap he like to do, he does with taste and restraint here, and it works.

Yeah, the title piece is slick, and yeah, Steve Gadd proves problematic on occasion, but nevertheless, this is good stuff. Hall plays superbly throughout. And TWO takes of "Rock Skippin'..." a tune that wasn't even on the original, hey, I'll take that!

Recommended if you like this kind of thing and don't already have it.

Agreed. I picked this one up not too very long ago and it started me on a Jim Hall kick. That led to his collaborations with Paul Desmond. Got stuck there for a while. Hall's touch is fantastic. He reminds me of Miles' famous quote that it is often the notes that you do not play that are more important than the ones you do. He plays what he needs to play at just the right time.

This is a good record and if you are not familiar with a lot of Jim Hall's work it is a good place to start. IMHO

I keep reminding myself to pick up the updated version. I just have the original release on CBS from way back in 1975. Hall's take on "Concierto de Aranjuez" is simply one of my all-time favorite pieces. I mean, in addition to Hall, you have Chet Baker, Paul Desmond and Roland Hanna as well as the aforementioned Ron Carter, all playing in the finest of fettle. How much better can it get?

When I did radio some years ago, I had a Saturday morning show and I'd make it a point to play Concierto de Aranjuez on a regular basis. It never once failed to light up the phone lines. Well, hold it...this was jazz radio, so maybe just a couple of calls. Once that tune revs up and kicks into gear, it's as pure as pure pleasure gets.

BTW, Jim, my copy of the CD has "Rock Skippin'" on it as well as an alternate take of "The Answer is Yes". Both are indicated as being previously unreleased.

Up over and out.

I picked this disc up in a sale, never having heard (about) it before... and it blew me away and then some!

Desmond could do (almost?) no wrong, and yes, even Gadd is not a major problem... a terrific disc! Lon, you should get the CD reissue!

Jim (or any other of the Americans): is this a digipack, too, in the US?

Happened to come across this -

========================

Jim Hall's first new record in a couple of years, "Jim Hall: Concierto," is a subtle, highly lyrical effort in which he is joined by Chet Baker, Paul Desmond (in just two numbers), Roland Hanna, Ron Carter, and the drummer Steve Gadd. There is a long, fast, inquiring version of "You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To" that is notable for Hall's spare solo, a brief bit of counterpoint between Desmond and Baker, and the first in the album of what turn out to be four first-class Baker solos. Baker has spent much of his career stepping on his own feet and obscuring the fact that, somewhat in Miles Davis's earlier mode, he is an intelligent, affecting player whose solos are often models of design and inflection and phrasing. They have a latter-day Beiderbecke quality. The second side is a fresh and eloquent study of Joaquin Rodrigo's mournful "Concierto de Aranjuez," which has been examined before by Miles Davis and the Modern Jazz Quartet. All hands (except the drummer) take forty-two-bar solos, and Baker and Desmond are excellent. And so is Hall, but his guitar is not favorably recorded. He uses a lot of low, reverberative notes, and they get entangled with the bass player, who is over-recorded, and with the pianist; who, though he plays well, is totally unneeded.

- Whitney Balliett, Collected Works, p. 456

===========================

Mike

I bought several in this series that CTI reissued: Milt Jackson's Sunflower, Freddie Hubbard's Straight Life, Deodato's Prelude, Paul Desmond's Skylark, Stanley Turrentine's Salt Song, and George Benson's Beyond The Blue Horizon. I like them all, and Concierto is definitely a favorite in the bunch. The weakest one I have is Hubert Laws' In The Beginning.

Currently in the 'fridge: Sam Adams' Boston Lager.

Ah! The elusive elixir...Lone Star Draft. A perennial favorite of me and my crew in our undergraduate days. Cheap...dern tootin'. But we especially liked it because we could ask for it by name...LSD. BTW, in the late '60's, me and my crew were very easily amused.

Up over and out.

WARNING: THREAD IN DANGER OF BEING HI-JACKED!!

• 3 weeks later...

This album came out right around the time I was born. My dad says he used to play it to calm me down and help me sleep. I listened to it again a few years ago and remember thinking it was a little too "slick" and "pretty" for me, but that was when I was heavy in a avant-jazz/noise trip. It may be time to pull out the record again.