Phil Woods CD set

Dont recall any discussion about this set, any opinions? pros/ cons?

I have it and like it, but it's far from the most listened or favourite set. Enjoyable bebop of the pure kind. Some sessions are with trumpet (Harrell and who again?) or trombone (Hal Crook), some are quartets. There's that whack pianist on one or two dates (Melillo, is that him?). Of course there's the rhythm team of Bill Goodwin and Steve Gilmore... a fine set I'd say, but far from essential.

I look at it like this: Woods has a huge discography (tons of releases on small European labels... many italian labels, I think), and this Mosaic collects a few rarities, that most probably are just as good as all his other stuff (he's a pro, so it's all good, but it has a bit of a sameness to it, I think). The five discs of the Mosaic are about as much Woods as I need, and this is definitely a nice way to have it.

On a sidenote: if it seems like I'm not that much a fan of Woods', yup, may be correct. But I heard a recent radio broadcast of Woods' quartet playing live in Zurich with the Zurich Chamber Orchestra (dir. André Bellmont - anyone here knows him?) - Woods played very very very beautiful on that concert! And the arrangements were his, too.

Some sessions are with trumpet (Harrell and who again?)

Brian Lynch?

There's that whack pianist on one or two dates (Melillo, is that him?).

Hal Galper?

Yup, Lynch! But no on Galper - he's good, but not the guy I was thinking about. Maybe it's indeed Melillo, but being at work I cannot check!