BFT #30 Discussion

catesta

It seems that so far, couw and I are the only ones who hear something really weird about #13. Nobody else hears the bass and drums (especially the bass!) as sounding as if they weren't even in the same decade, much less on the same stage, as the rest of the band?

After another listen, it really is wacky sounding! The bass sounds very amp-y and the whole thing sounds like they miked it up close, and then tried to give it some space with the addition of horrible reverb. The piano almost sounds like it has a slap-back kind of delay on it!! :crazy:

Sounds like a big crowd, which means a big room, so I guess it's possible that we're hearing the room (and that the acoustics in the hall are totally jacked).

Any other theories...?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always late to the party ... :(

Thanks to Chris for a fine compilation of tunes. Could have done without the flutes but that's just me. ;)

The one ID I am sure about is Sweets and Lockjaw on track 12. One of my all-time favorite combinations, right up there with Hank and Lee and anyone else you can think of. I just recently picked up a Sweets and Lockjaw Pablo that I hadn't even known about, Simply Sweets but of course its not on there. I've got just about all of the albums they did together but I'll wait patiently to find out where this one came from. If it turns out its another album I don't have, all the better, cuz I'll be all over that in no time. :g

A curse lingers over my blindfold test discs since this summer: I get them, listen instantly and gather my thoughts, put them aside for a second round, and then a thousand things distract me from them ...

Anyway, here are my two cents without consulting any external information.

Track 1: Two Lestorian tenors - very good relaxed players, but don't ask me for names. Those unison passages during the piano solo are very nice!

Track 2: Oh, some more of the same ... again they sound familiar, but ... calling West Coast tenors is not one of my strong sides. Only complaint is that, rhythm-wise, this is just straightforward - nothing spectacular ... but this seems to be part of the game, which I enjoy every now and then. Familiar names, I'm certain.

Track 3: "I'm beginning to see the light" - but this version is too two-beat for me. This is a difficult tune to play - if you don't wtch out, it will sound bland or pedestrian - the mood of this is not easy to capture. I argued for half an hour about the right tempo with the members of one band I played this with, but no, they wouldn't get the idea .... Oh my stars, this could even be one of the later Ellington bands, with that Webster-style tenor .... can't recall the names of that pair of 'bonists Duke employed at the time. OTOH the trumpet is a little too much Eldridgean, but the groove could be a tired Sam Woodyard, or juiced up a little bit or playing it safe. I dunno ... they know that tune by heart, that's for sure.

Track 4: Piccolo and double bass - I hear some glasses crushing. Nice idea: Herbie Mann did similar things with trombone, guitar, and piano on one of his Riversides, but he never played a piccolo. Drums remind of Elvin - very young Elvin, just arrived in New York. One of the Frank Wess Savoys I don't have? But Wess played somewhat cleaner ..... Is this a Van Gelder recording?

Track 5: Great drum introduction! Nice thunderous drum sound! Trumpet sounds terribly familiar, although I am sure I never heard this track before. This style sounds terribly familiar .... I'm repeating myself. Harold Land on tenor! Is that the Contemporary Jimmy Woods disc with Elvin? But I had this one .... Or from the Carmell Jones with Land on the Mosaic Select. My favourite so far. Great spirit on this one. Nice Spanish touches in the theme without getting superficial. :tup

Track 6: I know that theme from a different record - a version I liked better, because it was more to the point, and they played the last 4 bars of the theme as strict triplets, which makes for great contrast and moment of surprise in the theme. Wish I could recall who it was, it's probably buried deeply among many other LPs that cry out for a spin. Tenor plays nicely. Well, that other version made it memorable for me, not this one. I will remember once I get the name of this tune .....

Track 7: If I didn't know I wouldn't guess this tune was called "In My Solitude" ..... I am for keeping the original mood of a piece. This here sounds as if he thinks he will get rid of that unpleasant feeling sooner if he plays it faster - two Ellington hat tricks quoted, running through the changes, that's it. Could be any other piece without the theme. He failed to connect to the essence of that piece, IMHO. :tdown

Track 8: Cool alto ..... very cool. But not too cool. Somehow this touches me, his personality touches me. Some very honest quality about this alto cat. Wonder who it is. The rhythm section gets hotter by the bar - pianist plays a maxture of older styles, it seems. Not a must buy item for me, but nice and interesting. Something of a hybrid. Now who is that alto man?

Track 9: Oh ..... Like Jaki Byard's wide ranging conglomeration of styles expanded to quartet size. Great spirit throughout. No idea who they are - wild! Like it very much! They go for it, definitely! Nice unexpected turn to 5/4 in the theme. :tup

Track 10: This should be Vonski ..... nobody plays like him. I need some of his more recent records, it seems. Bought the first Atlantic on Rahsaan's recommendation ;-) and the two Nessa LPs, some Dutch live LP, but nothing since. My fault.

Track 11: Hah! This is priceless! I never would have expected a tune like this on a meeting of these two specific giants. The drummer singing along on this tune is worth the price of admission alone. My wife happened to be listening when this track started and wanted a copy of the whole album when she learned I had it. Ding-da-ding-ding .... Da-Ding-Da-Ding-Ding ..... They used to call this dance a Limbo ....

Track 12: A more recent recording, judging by the awful bass pickup sound. Drums mixed to low, bass drum muffled down to tonelessness. Some older cats on a late career mainstream recording. Nice, but not really convincing.

Track 13: "More Than you Know". Hm ... Clarinettists going that much for the upper range are not my favourite cup of tea, though this sounds very competent. No idea.

Track 14: "How High The Moon" - a 1940's recording? Hamp? The Goodman Sextet with a trumpet subbing for the leader? No - this is not Christian. Could it be I heard this before? Norvo, not Hamp?

Track 15: Erroll Garner, no doubt! Great! Oh the days when all pianists were individuals on that level ..... :tup

Track 16: Off we sail ..... trumpets only? Very interesting! Never heard of a band called Supertrumpet ..... The spirit of these guys makes it work, although I'm not that much of a trumpet fan. Uh - last track? Great closer!

Thanks, Chris, for these insights into your collection - some very nice items among this! Now off to the others' guesses! :excited:

Track 4: Drums remind of Elvin - very young Elvin, just arrived in New York.

It's not, but thank god you hear it too. I thought it was just me!

Track 9: Oh ..... Like Jaki Byard's wide ranging conglomeration of styles expanded to quartet size. Great spirit throughout. No idea who they are - wild! Like it very much! They go for it, definitely! Nice unexpected turn to 5/4 in the theme.  :tup

By golly, I thnk you're on to it! Is this something from the Jaki Byard/Joe Farrell sides recorded live at Lennie's On The Turnpike?

#4 - Well, great minds still think alike at times .... :g

I understand that's Charli Persip ... never thought of a stylistic connection between Elvin and Persip, but they may share some influences.

This is another one for the wish list.

#14 - I, too, hear a weird sound on # 14 - and of course I heard this before: will check my 1985 Musicraft LP of this session tomorrow.

#9 - Never heard those .....

#5 - Now can somebody tell why I sold this LP ???? :blink::crazy::wacko:

#6 - I need the name of this tune!!!!!!

#6 is called "Fast Lane" on the source album, but like you, I've heard it somewhere else, and probably under a different title.

Oh, it's #13 that has the spooky sound to it. If I didn't know better (and I'm not sure that I don't), I'd swear that it was Charlie Haden using the trick of playing along with pre-existing recordings like he did on that one Quartet West side...

Edited by JSngry

Okay, got my copy from mikeweil some days ago.... and... i'm back in this business after a longer break.... but this CD was real fun ! Fun, listenning to the music, not that funny, as i try to start the good ol' guess-who-'n-which-tune-is-this-game... :crazy: just kidding....

My tries:

1: Nice start... but i don't have any idea. This tune makes me to get happy, when listening, a warm and happy sound indeed. It must be a nice sunny sunday, when they recorded that tune.

2: This tune is familiar.... Indian summer ! For me another nice and warm performance, not as an easy listening... it IS nice and warm :g

3: I'm beginning to see the light, indeed. But who ?? Okay, i think, if i check the other posts after this, i maybe know it... The musicians play very "exact" to the point, a bit to exact for me, but not bad. A very roomy athmosphere, not that favourite to me, but a nice "trumpet-battle" near the end of that tune. And no guess, who they are... :bad:

4: Oh, what was that? Flute or even piccolo with trombone and a nice bass-player indeed. I should know him .... That piano-player sounds familiar, too... hmmm. ... and so is the guitar.... errh.... äääähm .... I'm out of training in these things.... :D

5: Oh, that is an interesting tune! Bass and drums with piano are very hot cooking. The drummer could be Elvin Jones in earlier days ? And Paul Chambers as a guess for the bass-player? I don't know this one... since this day :):tup

6: Again... no idea, a nice group... they have a good drive, but i have no idea ...

7: My solitude, i think. But i don't recognize that piano-player. But he or she had a funny day on the recording date... a pling here... a pling there and funny ideas... not that bad....

8: Aaaargh, i know this tune... fine sax, nice bass-playing... this bass-player has "flummy-fingers" :) , i think i must know him. A nice tune ... but "ashes on my head" for the "no-Idea"....

9: Really no Idea, sounds more modern, maybe the piano is a bit out of tune ???

10: up-tempo-piece... the bass-Player must have a dragon-skin on his right hand :D But i don't know the musicians... better .. i may know them but not now... :rolleyes:

11: Ahhh, i got one... This disc is just 5 feet away on the cupboard and i listened this one a couple of days ago.... Great fun ! Limbo at its best and two giants together, Duke and Coleman Hawkins. My "lucky tune-gues" in this BFT ???

12: Ahm... the changes are familiar, but... i don' t recognize this in these times. This sax-solo is very exciting and a solid bass-playing... nice one.

13: Oh-Oh! Clarinet... not my favourite... this very clean tone and oldstyle-lines... i gues it can be Benny Goodman ? But what a sound!!! That reminds me to something funny... as i do a littel musc-recording and sound-processing... it reminds me to something... when i tested the features of an sound-processing-programm with those funny 3D-Reverb-room-modelling-effects... i know, how i can get very close to this sound :g. At least, it must be a very large concert hall and the microphones are a little missplaced i guess. The microphone or whatever placed near the bass is "missplaced" and the bass-player may be a little bit dancing or turning the bass a little... and... the tone fades. There may be some extra micros in the hall.... 50 metres away from the musicians. Very funny sound! And the audience.... kind of artificial ???

14: How high the moon, yeah! But those musicians ??? Vibes ... Red Norvo ?

15: This is Eroll Garner, no way, but i don't know the tune/recording. I have not very much CDs/record from Eroll Garner.... but now i've got a new one, thanks to Catesta!

16: Okay, now the trumpets are in! But no idea, who is playing there.... i will soon read the other postings and learn something about that! Nice tune for the end of a nice BFT!!!

This was really fun, and the compilation is very fine... Thanks to Catesta !

with bassy regards

Mr. Bassman

1: One celebrated Tristanoite on the sax, two underrated ones on piano & 2nd sax. This is the “bonus” session on the recent reissue of Tristano’s _Intuition_. What can I say? These guys were all great, & though Warne's the one who's a real cult figure the others are worth close attention too: I wish I knew why the pianist recorded so little, he doesn’t get his due. If you see his Savoy date GRAB IT.

2: 1950s Lestorian cool. I find the 2nd tenor solo much more intriguing, with a beseeching quality I actually associate also (in a completely different context) with Tina Brooks. I have no idea who these guys are, but it’s a very nice track.

3: aside from noting that the 1st tenor solo's Hawkins I don't think I have anything terribly interesting to say. S'OK.

5: This sounds very familiar, esp. the no-quarters-taken drumming which is surely Elvin? Hm, the pianist sounds like Andrew Hill, maybe Richard Davis on bass; perhaps as a result initially this was making me think a lot of Roland Kirk though it’s not Kirk. Oh, of course, this is probably Jimmy Woods’ _Conflict_ which I haven’t heard for about 15 years. Sounds good, maybe not brilliant but hey, it’ll wake the dead & put a smile on their face. I like the alto solo most, Woods himself. What happened to him anyway? Why didn’t he record more?

6: Hot minor blues which sounds a little more contemporary (1980s?) than some of the other hardbop stuff here. I think I’m missing something about why this is here, I mean it sounds fine but it’s very curtailed & the horn solos in particular aren’t doing much for me. Jolly enough.

7: Time to play guess the standard. Um.... “Come Rain or Shine”.... hang on, “Solitude”.... no, “Tenderly”.... no, it’s “Solitude”... no, it’s “Tenderly”. “Solitude” wins! Yow, this has got to be the most hard-hitting “Solitude” I’ve ever heard. If you want to hear magic, try Chris Anderson’s version on _Solo Ballads Two_. As for this one.... well it was worth hearing once.

8: “East of the Sun West of the Moon”. The altoist has the peculiar quality of reminding me a lot of players I really like like Desmond & Pepper while meanwhile kind of annoying me, though the way he goes off every so often on an odd tangent is I guess at least interesting. The bassist is Wilbur Ware & the drummer sounds very familiar. I wonder if I’d like this more with a less abrasive studio sound? Odd track. Are these players who regularly play together?

9: Interestingly unguessable opening, I was expecting a straightforward blues line & it turns into what sounds like three tunes rolled in one, with a Monk flavour. Unmistakably Clifford Jordan on the sax, sounds like he’s absorbed a little Coltrane at this stage which I didn't notice in his earlier work. Noisy recording & the piano’s no hell, but it’s lots of fun.

10: Well I have this one, V.’s most recent one. Nice disc; the rhythm section is a class act but sounds conventional behind V. in his freakiest form.

11: Odd context for some Ellingtonians??? This would have been nice if it were shorter but it does go on...and on....and on...... I sincerely I hope I can get the darn tune out of my head now.

12: Nice piano trio blues opening up into some horns, I like the tenor solo best, surely Jaws? Wow, so it’s actually a full-band track? Maybe some Granzy thing from the 1970s.

15: Surely Garner. Yow, that’s so mannered I don’t think I could take another minute of it. It’s fine, but not my thing.

16: More contemporary stuff than much of the rest of the BFT. Hm, I guess it’ll be a challenge here to figure out who each trumpeter is...... The 1st trumpeter.... hm, just possibly Clark Terry on the first solo? Certainly sounds like an older player. The 2nd solo is someone younger & (rather selfconsciously) impressive.

• 1 month later...