What Do You Think About When You Play?

md655321

I'm glad I lurked for a while before joining the board. I was able to get a sense of the various personas, and when I joined I kind of laid low initially. You know, listen/read a bit before flooding the board with newbie posts. I think one has to have a concept of joining an existing community, and realize there are folks who have been around for a while, some of whom are highly respected members of said community (and who may come off as salty MFs to the unfamiliar). One has to know how to interpret the comments of various members, and the best way is to listen before leaping.

I'm just sayin'. :)

I'm glad I lurked for a while before joining the board. I was able to get a sense of the various personas, and when I joined I kind of laid low initially. You know, listen/read a bit before flooding the board with newbie posts. I think one has to have a concept of joining an existing community, and realize there are folks who have been around for a while, some of whom are highly respected members of said community (and who may come off as salty MFs to the unfamiliar). One has to know how to interpret the comments of various members, and the best way is to listen before leaping.

Well said, Free. :tup

Guest bluenote82

The reason why I brought that up is because he's said nothing but negative things to me since I got here. It's not a misinterpretation, I know when someone is being hateful to me.

The reason why I brought that up is because he's said nothing but negative things to me since I got here. It's not a misinterpretation, I know when someone is being hateful to me.

Chuck is one of the coolest people on this board and, if you weren't aware, is a big part of the history of the music. If you were aware of his accomplishments, you could overlook/forgive some of the frankness (and occasional grumpiness :) ) that is part of his nature. Chuck knows his shit, dude, and is worth getting to know....

Trust me, the good outweighs the bad here BY A LONG SHOT! Don't be too quick to judge!

I'll try to get back on topic...

I was a bit surprised that I didn't post in this thread first time around.

Different circumstances bring out different thoughts/actions/reactions. In performance I'm often monitoring my internal state to stay relaxed. Tension is a problem; it can really slow down your responses. My focus can shift from listening "within" to paying more attention to what my bandmates are up to.

One issue that I have yet to overcome is when playing large outdoor festivals, or perhaps this happens in theaters as well. It seems that I often feel drained after about the halfway mark in the show. The difference seems to be just the fact of us being on a stage, under lights, with an audience sitting and listening. I find it very easy to relax and let the flow happen when the music is in a more social environment. Maybe I just need to go through those situations more often, and look for a tactic of some sort. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

Guest bluenote82

I'll try to get back on topic...

I was a bit surprised that I didn't post in this thread first time around.

Different circumstances bring out different thoughts/actions/reactions. In performance I'm often monitoring my internal state to stay relaxed. Tension is a problem; it can really slow down your responses. My focus can shift from listening "within" to paying more attention to what my bandmates are up to.

One issue that I have yet to overcome is when playing large outdoor festivals, or perhaps this happens in theaters as well. It seems that I often feel drained after about the halfway mark in the show. The difference seems to be just the fact of us being on a stage, under lights, with an audience sitting and listening. I find it very easy to relax and let the flow happen when the music is in a more social environment. Maybe I just need to go through those situations more often, and look for a tactic of some sort. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?

It's easy to get caught up with what everyone is doing. I remember one time was soloing in a big band like a 15 piece or something and I couldn't help to notice the percussionist was played some kind of weird rainstick thing. I just keep looking at him, but I finally was able to focus and play, but man it's hard sometimes. Thankfully, the big band I was playing in was at a civic center and the atmosphere was a little more relaxed. I don't think people noticed my tumbling and mistakes, because boy did I make a few, thanks to Rainstick Boy. :)

Edited by bluenote82

Guest bluenote82

Chuck is one of the coolest people on this board and, if you weren't aware, is a big part of the history of the music. If you were aware of his accomplishments, you could overlook/forgive some of the frankness (and occasional grumpiness :) ) that is part of his nature. Chuck knows his shit, dude, and is worth getting to know....

Trust me, the good outweighs the bad here BY A LONG SHOT! Don't be too quick to judge!

I'm sure the good does outweigh the bad, but I was just making an observation that's all based on the posts I have seen.

And how lucky we all are that you decided to start posting. :rolleyes:

(note to bn82)

just looking at the cds lying on my office table, i knew most of the artists by name before i joined the board not too long ago but didn't own a cd by any of them (namely: Grant Green, Lee Morgan, Lucky Thompson, Don Patterson, Ike Quebec, Sonny Simmons, Randy Weston, Johnny Hammond Smith, Bobby Jaspar)... wants to say: there is some common opinion on this board about what's the "real deal" in jazz, when you join you may agree with part of that (in my case Zoot Sims, Kenny Dorham and Tony Fruscella) and find some common ground, at least in my case it got more and more and the board more or less shaped my jazz listening; other artists are more controversial (to varying degrees, say, Keith Jarrett, anything on ECM, Oscar Peterson, Pat Metheny, Amy Winehouse..., many here listen to one or another of these artists but be prepared that some people are very much opposed to these... if you want people to say something nice about a trumpet player you like try a Kenny Dorham or Lee Morgan thread...) (Wynton isn't actually controversial though, same for Kenny G :) )

and don't take things personal, people here take their listening seriously (and yours too, they're just trying to help :) )!

i am sure there are places on the web where you can celebrate your love for Wynton with some likeminded folks but this isn't one of them (but then, what's wrong with fighting for your love :g ) i am sure among your 3500 jazz records there are hundreds upon which we all more or less agree

(being 26 years old myself... funny story, wanted to post this off topic on another thread recently but why not here... when i worked in that place for retired people one morning during breakfast (when my colleague just read a story about some young criminals from the newspaper) the woman i was just feeding said very thoughtfully "some day we will need someone like Hitler again, but this time he should go for the young people..." one of only two instances where i almost forgot that we were supposed not to take seriously what these people were saying)

(on the thread's topic: it's some time ago that i played an improvised solo... don't think i thought of anything far off i was mostly listening to the others, i am a bad listener so that was more or less all i could do)

Edited by Niko

did she have any inside info on the Reichstag fire?

i doubt it, but didn't ask... think she was just a loyal supporter of the conservative forces of the current system throughout her life (that is, she was a CDU member after the war), she run a business immediately after the war iirc so she can't have been "involved" too deeply...