Mosaic sets for €59,99 (www.jpc.de)

Alfred

What are you people complaining about?!?

VAT on music albums in France remains at a scandalous 19.6 percent! Probably an EU record  :(

VAT on books and other 'cultural products' remains at 5.5.

But musics records are not considered as being part of the 'culture'  :crazy:

You tell them, Brownie.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you people complaining about?!?

VAT on music albums in France remains at a scandalous 19.6 percent! Probably an EU record  :(

VAT on books and other 'cultural products' remains at 5.5.

But musics records are not considered as being part of the 'culture'  :crazy:

You tell them, Brownie.

We're not far behind in the Netherlands, with 19% VAT on CDs, and we're even ahead with VAT on books, 6%!

Isn't VAT in Denmark or Sweden even higher?

VAT is 25% in Demark and Sweden.

I'm of course in favor of a reduced VAT rate for CDs, but you have to understand the point of view of finance ministers in these difficult times. Once you start reducing VAT on music CDs too, the DVD industry will claim the same treatment, and so on. Reduced VAT rates were meant as an exception for certain "essential" goods such as food and medecine.

Anyway, that debate on CD VAT is over for now:

Appreciation of music is deeply rooted in European society and music is the main way that many people, particularly the youth, experience EU culture. However, this is not reflected in EU tax policy. Recorded music is unfairly treated in comparison to other cultural products and services that currently benefit from reduced VAT rates such as books, magazines, cartoons, entrance tickets to cinemas, museums and zoos.

(...)

The VAT Coalition urged the European Commission to propose a reduction of the VAT rate on recorded music as the EU prepares to revise the 6th VAT Directive in the first half of 2003. To achieve a reduced rate, sound recordings would have to be added to Annex H of the VAT Directive, which lists all cultural goods and services benefiting from a reduced rate.

http://www.ifpi.org/site-content/press/20021207.html

List of all VAT rates: http://europa.eu.int/comm/taxation_customs...tes_2005_en.pdf

Edited by Claude

In France, music albums are considered the caviar of culture...

Records and caviar get the 19.8 rate!

The rest of the food (and water) and the rest of cultural products get the reduced 5.5 rate.

I have tried to ingest my music of choice with a caviar spoon but it does not work :(

the rest of cultural products get the reduced 5.5 rate.

Only books, newspapers and magazines as well as concert, cinema and museum tickets get the reduced rate. The normal VAT rate is applicable to CDs, DVDs, video games, multimedia CD-ROMs, etc.

So it's not correct to say that music is discriminated compared to all other culture/entertainment products/services. That's what the music industry wanted people to believe, to support their claims.

Anyway, do you believe CDs would be cheaper with less VAT? In France they are very expensive, but the CD price differences between countries do not reflect the difference in VAT rates.

Edited by Claude

Anyway, do you believe CDs would be cheaper with less VAT? In France they are very expensive, but the CD price differences between countries do not reflect the difference in VAT rates.

Claude,

once a year the FNAC stores do a one-day protest of the VAT rate and sell many of their CDs at the 5.5 rate.

The CDs are then something like ten percent less than the 'regular' price!

It does make a difference.

Couldn't resist. I have just ordered the Basie and the Farmer, Golson... sets. Any idea why the European version is so much cheaper than the American version? And why are these sets sold for 59 euros on Amazon Germany against 140 euros in France or Britain. I can't see the logic in that.

Edited by ASNL77

I gave in and ordered the Basie - even if I have to pay 15€ for customs, I won't get it that cheap again, I guess (less than 52€ with VAT off, from Amazon).

Mr. couw also will get a free CD as a consequence of that :)

And all you others may roast in hell a wee bit longer for making me spend so much money... :angry:

:party: ubu :party:

And all you others may roast in hell a wee bit longer for making me spend so much money...  :angry:

Well, at least it's warm down there :)

:D

certainly warmer than here... but I heard that temperatures should once again raise up to 20° C, at least during the day, when the sun is up...

tjobbe: I konw I'll like it! I know the Dancing Sessions and a few others (the April in Paris, the two albums with Joe Williams, the recent LPR...) - will be great to have it all in one place!