Brubeck on Columbia / Legacy CD reissues

monkboughtlunch

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

jsngry regarding the ballet lp you posted i passed on a columbia original, i know i shouldnt of. but i did--- so its these two other piano guys playing the ballet + brubeck band themselves plus Carmen McCrae for the vocal track. i wonder what its like. i just dont plop down 10 bucks on any lp anymore, ESPICALLY columbia (my columbia limit these days is like 2 dollars, eg. the chico hamilton plays bye bye birdie w. charles lloyd i scored for .50c the other day)

And what about Herman Wright? Did he play with the quartet between Bates and Benjamin?

Bruyninckx has the bassist as "Herman 'Gene' Wright" for two entries (Feb 22, 1958 and Mar 5, 1958).

Then, for summer 1958 (DB in Europe, Newport 1958, Jazz Impressions of Eurasia) Benjamin is listed, and beginnging with the one title from the Monterey 3CD compilation (Oct 5, 1958), it's Eugene/Gene Wright.

That probably is a mistake in the Bruyninkx disco - there is no mention of Herman Wright ever playing with Brubeck in the biographies I have. Should be Eugene Wright all the way. IIRC Benjamin subbed when Wright was not available.

There were two Bates brothers playing bass with Brubeck, btw - Norman and Bob.

Edited by mikeweil

• 3 weeks later...

I just got an email from Russell Gloyd, Dave Brubeck's long time manager. It seems that some additional tracks from Dave Digs Disney have been located

and a further expanded reissue is planned for 2011.

Columbia has numerous unissued sessions in the vault, including a Brubeck quartet with clarinetist Bill Smith tentatively to be titled Witches' Brew which

will likely not be released.

A Legacy Brubeck promo video on Amazon advertises this as coming in 2011: "The newly-discovered final studio session of the 'classic quartet'" Any idea of the tracklisting and date of this session? Would this be circa 1967 or 66?

• 3 months later...

I was unaware that Jazz Goes to College was issued as a Legacy remaster. Is this true?

Previous discussion:

Me, I'm waiting for the Legacy Edition of "Dave Digs Disney" to arrive...

Ooops, sorry, didn't notice the linked thread was started just after the question asked here...

Uhm, I can't find anything on any album called "Last Time Out"... anyone care to enlighten me?

It's a previously unreleased studio session, reportedly the last made by the "classic quartet." No tracklisting or recording date yet from Sony. I think the quartet broke up around 1967, so the best guess is the studio recording may be from that time period. I guess we'll have to wait until a press release is issued by Sony. Or maybe someone has a contact at Legacy or with Brubeck management camp and can provide more info?

• 2 weeks later...

Is it possible there's a reason we haven't had these on domestic cd. . . such as Brubeck's personal wishes.

I would go for such a Mosaic set for sure!

The AllMusic review of Jackpot says that the piano was out of tune, so maybe there's something to your theory that Brubeck himself has held up some reissues.

On the other hand, it seems that a lot of the mid to later 1960s albums are the ones that haven't been released, so maybe Legacy just doesn't think they will sell?

The AllMusic review of Jackpot says that the piano was out of tune

Can't that be fixed with auto-tune :crazy:

Seriously: got the "Dave Digs Disney" 2CD edition recently. Don't think I really need mono and stereo of it, but it's nice to have a legitimate version of it, even though it's not among my favourite Brubeck albums (agreen on "Jazz Impressions of Japan" - that one might be my top favorite of his!)