Brubeck on Columbia / Legacy CD reissues

monkboughtlunch

I really enjoy the recent Legacy remasters of the Dave Brubeck Columbia material.

Does anyone have comprehensive list of Brubeck Columbia titles which still have not been upgraded on CD by Sony/Legacy?

In addition, are there any unissued live concerts in the Columbia vaults?

Any word from Sony on if there will be more Brubeck CD reissues?

I have the "Anything Goes" album on vinyl, and I can't understand why such an incredible date is not available in its original form on CD.

Edited by monkboughtlunch

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are LPs in my collection that I don't believe are yet available on CD:

Brubeck, Dave Anything Goes!

Brubeck, Dave DBQ in Europe

Brubeck, Dave Jazz Impressions of the USA

Brubeck, Dave Southern Scene

Brubeck, Dave The Gates of Justice

Brubeck, Dave Tonight Only!!!! DBQ with Carmen McRae

I'm very curious about "Jazz Impressions of the USA"-----especially as Jazz Impressions of Eurasia is one of my favorite Brubeck albums.

The CD reissue "problem" is a very big topic on the Brubeck list ... Apparently Dave has very close control over the reissue of albums, and he has stopped the CD releases of such albums as "At Wilshire-Ebell," "At Storyville, 1954," and "Anything Goes" because he does not like the way the Quartet sounded on those albums. There are others albums which await CD reissue in the U.S. -- "D.B. and Jay and Kai at Newport," "In Europe," and "At Junior College" .. all of which I have on Japanese CDs ..

I was surprised that Jazzbo mentioned "Southern Scene" was available in Japan, as apparently that is high on Dave's no-no list!

I have a Japanese album .. "The Quartet in Berlin, 1964" (not with Mulligan) that is very nice.

Edited by garthsj

The CD reissue "problem" is a very big topic on the Brubeck list ... Apparently Dave has very close control over the reissue of albums, and he has stopped the CD releases of such albums as "At Wilshire-Ebell," "At Storyville, 1954," and "Anything Goes" because he does not like the way the Quartet sounded on those albums. ..

I was surprised that Jazzbo mentioned "Southern Scene" was available in Japan, as apparently that is high on Dave's no-no list!

I have a Japanese album .. "The Quartet in Berlin, 1964" (not with Mulligan) that is very nice.

What's the tracklisting of the Quartet in Berlin, 64 date?! When was that issued in Japan? Is it a professional recording? What label is it on?

Where did you hear about Brubeck stopping the reissue of "Anthing Goes?" Does this mean these titles aren't likely to be reissued on CD?

The album is called "Dave Brubeck in Berlin" and was issued on SME records -- SRCS 9530 -- in Japan (a Sony subsidiary). It is a mono recording. The track list is as follows:

St Louis Blues (12.02)

Koto Song (6.59)

Take The "A" Train (7:42)

Take Five. (7:09)

The music was recorded at the Berlin Jazz Festival September 26, 27, 1964.

As I said, there are people on the Brubeck forum who are in direct contact with him, and who have, I believe, accurately relayed his wishes about certain albums.

Three years ago, he authorized the private release of a concert given at the White House on April 14, 1964 to certain members of the Brubeck forum. (Apparently these concerts were routinely recorded, so who knows what other treasures exist out there?) I was one of the lucky underwriters of this project, and I now own a rare 24:21 of the Quartet's music. A group of us "purchased' the tape when it was up for auction, and donated it to the Brubeck archives. Dave personally authorized this very limited release on condition that it not be widely distributed beyond the original group making the purchase. The music is typical, the tracks quite short, and somewhat loose ... with intros by Dave interspersed. I assume he wanted to educate his audience. The track list is:

Cable Car

Take Five

Shim Wah

St. Louis Blues.

The CD reissue "problem" is a very big topic on the Brubeck list ... Apparently Dave has very close control over the reissue of albums, and he has stopped the CD releases of such albums as "At Wilshire-Ebell," "At Storyville, 1954," and "Anything Goes" because he does not like the way the Quartet sounded on those albums. ..

What's the tracklisting of the Quartet in Berlin, 64 date?! When was that issued in Japan? Is it a professional recording? What label is it on?

Where did you hear about Brubeck stopping the reissue of "Anthing Goes?" Does this mean these titles aren't likely to be reissued on CD?

What about the Bernstein and Brubeck one (not sure of the exact title?)  That would be cool to hear.

Do you mean the album which has been issued both as Bernstein Plays Brubeck Plays Bernstein and Plays Music from West Side Story?

It was some time since I heard it. One side of the LP features just the quartet (and which may still be available on that early 90s Columbia CD), which I think is - forgive me the the Scott Yanow-ism - nice, but not particularly memorable... Will have to listen to the symphonic session again. From what I remember, it didn't struck me as too interesting. I guess it would have been more fun if Bernstein had written that part as well.

Edited by Daniel A

• 5 months later...

Anything Goes was reissued on CD in Japan on Feb. 22 of this year.

----------

From CDuniverse.com

Anything Goes - Import CD

Dave Brubeck Our Price: $17.49

List Price $26.99 (You save $9.50)

Category Jazz

Label Sony Music

CDU Part# 7012894

All Time Sales Rank 105916

Catalog# SICP1011

Discs 1

Street Date Feb 22, 2006

Additional Info Japan

The return of this thread reminded me that I never did spin that Brubeck/Bernstein LP, so I took it out this afternoon. Howard Brubeck's 'Dialogues for Jazz Combo and Orchestra' (conducted by Bernstein) is a bit more involving than I remembered and it was fun to hear the Brubeck group in this context. However, Howard Brubeck's writing sometimes seems to have a slight lost-movie-score feel, which can be a good thing, but also perhaps an indication that something is missing. I remember not liking the Brubeck/Brubeck "Brandenburg Gate" collaboration and ultimately getting rid of it, so I'm perhaps not unbiased when it comes to Howard Brubeck.

brubec_dave_anythingg_101b.jpg

Yeah, that's a good'un. Desmond on "What Is This Thing...", wow. Although by this time (or this album, he wsa basically playing his solos and then sitting out. But such solos they are!

Still remember buying it (mono 360 in a plastic inner sleeve with a tear-off top!) for $0.99 at a Kilgore, Tx TG&Y store on a 1972 Wednesday night before a Lent service at Pilgrim Lutheran Church, corner of Broadway & Flory, Rev. Harold Wageman (the only clergyman in my life for whom I still have high - the highest, actually - respect), Pastor. It's still there, against all odds (and against all hope...).

Doesn't every family go shopping at an out-of town dime store before going to a mid-week church service? :g

Why I remember this is because during the entire service, all I had on my mind was those legs. Even now, if I think of Brubeck, I think of those legs. And since I got a MONO copy, I got me a little bit more leg to remember. (the young men don't know, but the old folks understand).

Also semi-remember (although from a later date) the classic opening line from the DB review: "The pedant of the piano meets the poet of popular music". Or something like that. Agree or not, it's still a great line.

Not sure if Anything Goes is one of the titles that Brubeck allegedly does not want reissued on CD.

The Sony Japanese Brubeck CDs are typically transfers from the original stereo masters.

If Sony Legacy USA ever reissues it, they will proabably remix from the 3 or 4 track multi-tracks, and add bonus tracks if they exist. Just something to keep in mind if you are on the fence. But then there is no guarantee Legacy will reissue this title in the U.S. anytime soon.

I ordered the Anything Goes and I will post a report when I get it.

brubec_dave_anythingg_101b.jpg

Yeah, that's a good'un. Desmond on "What Is This Thing...", wow. Although by this time (or this album, he wsa basically playing his solos and then sitting out. But such solos they are!

Still remember buying it (mono 360 in a plastic inner sleeve with a tear-off top!) for $0.99 at a Kilgore, Tx TG&Y store on a 1972 Wednesday night before a Lent service at Pilgrim Lutheran Church, corner of Broadway & Flory, Rev. Harold Wageman (the only clergyman in my life for whom I still have high - the highest, actually - respect), Pastor. It's still there, against all odds (and against all hope...).

Doesn't every family go shopping at an out-of town dime store before going to a mid-week church service? :g

Why I remember this is because during the entire service, all I had on my mind was those legs. Even now, if I think of Brubeck, I think of those legs. And since I got a MONO copy, I got me a little bit more leg to remember. (the young men don't know, but the old folks understand).

Also semi-remember (although from a later date) the classic opening line from the DB review: "The pedant of the piano meets the poet of popular music". Or something like that. Agree or not, it's still a great line.

Very nice.