BFT #30 Answers

catesta

First off, I would like to thank all those BFT compilers before me.

Putting together a BFT that presents any kind of challenge to the knowledgeable crowd in this place is not an easy task. It's only going to get tougher for the folks that follow me. ;):D:tup

Anyways here we go.

Track 1: Smog Eyes

Warne Marsh, Ted Brown (ts), Ronnie Ball (p), George Tucker (bs), Jeff Morton (drums) REC. 1956

This was originally realsed as "Jazz of Two Cities and I believe "Winds Of Marsh". I have it on the reissue title.

c69554up6ys.jpg

What can I say other than I really love Warne Marsh. I owe that to Chuck Nessa for re-releasing "All Music" and getting me hooked.

As for Ted Brown, I wish I could here more. Dude was definitely not recorded enough.

This tune is pure enjoyment for me.

Track 2: Indian Summer

Richie Kamuca, Bill Perkins (ts), Pete Jolly (p), Red Mitchell (bs), Stane Levey (drums) REC. 1956

Bill Perkins & Richie Kamuca, Tenors Head-On

bp1.jpg

Sorry for the small image, it was the only one I could find. :mellow:

More cool, but very hot West Coast. The two tenors sound great to me. The cd is a lot of fun.

Track 3: I'm Beginning to See The Light

Cootie Williams, (tp), Rex Stewart, (cornet), Coleman Hawkins and Bud Freeman (ts), Lawrence Brown and J.C. Higginbotham (tbs), Hank Jones (p), Billy Bauer (g), Milt Hinton (bs), Gus Johnson (drums) REC 1957

Track 4: Way In Blues

Jerome Richardson (flute), Jimmy Cleveland (tb), Hank Jones (p), Kenny Burrell (g), Joe Benjamin (bs), Charlie Persip (drums), REC. 1958

72551.jpg

A lot of you said you thought Jerome is playing a piccolo at the start. The liner notes make no mention of it, but I won't doubt your ears.

I've really become a big fan of the flute when being played by the right people.

Jerome Richardson is one of those people.

Although it's not the track I put on the BFT, "Lyric" is the standout tune of this session.

Track 5: Coming Home

Jimmy Woods (as), Harold Land (ts), Carmell Jones (tp), Andrew Hill (p), George Tucker (bs), Elvin Jones (drums) REC. 1963

I grabbed this one as soon as I saw it. For one reason or another I was betting it was a smoker, and I was right.

482610.jpg

The rest to follow......

Track 6: Fast Lane

David "Fathead" Newman (ts), Curtis Fuller (tb), John Hicks (p), John Menegon (bs), Jimmy Cobb (drums) REC. 2003

508812.jpg

This was a 2004 release.

Curtis Fuller is only heard on three tracks, which may not be a bad thing at this stage of the game.

"Fathead" though, is as strong as ever.

Track 7: In My Solitude

Believe it or not this is Duke.

Duke Jordan that is.

Duke Jordan (p) REC. 1975

I think I picked this one purely for the stump factor. I was looking for a solo piano piece and this one popped out at me. I know it's not the greatest verson of Solitude, but it works for me. The tune itself (especially when done by Ellington) is one of the reasons I started to love jazz.

The rest of this session is a good one, imo.

Jordan is joined by Charlie Rouse, Richard Williams, Sam Jones, and Al Foster. How bad could that be. :cool:

313296.jpg

Track 8: East of The Sun (West of The Moon)

Zoot Sims (ALTO sax), Joe Castro (p), Leroy Vinnegar (bs), Ron Jefferson (drums)

REC. 1956

519481.jpg

A laid back swinger, no doubt. I was glad to see it issued.

I do believe Castro's son did the audio restoration for this release.

I dig Joe Castro, I only wish he did more. Zoot on alto is also some kind of new treat.

And yes, Jim Sangrey, the rest of the date is a strong as this track.

Track 9: King David

Joe Farrell (ts), Jaki Byard (p), George Tucker (bs), Alan Dawson (drums)

REC. 1965

503694.jpg

I was surprised more didn't get this one. I thought it was a pretty popular recording. Not much to say other than, if you did like the track, then you will like the rest of it.

Track 10: Never Fear Jazz Is Here

Von Freeman (ts), Richard Wyands (p), John Webber (bs), Jimmy Cobb (drums)

REC. 2004

522588.jpg

The old dude still has a lot to say. :tup:tup:tup

to be continued.....

Track 11: Limbo Jazz

Ray Nance (tp), Lawrence Browe (tb), Johnny Hodges (as), Harry Carney (bari), Coleman Hawkins (ts), Duke Ellington (p), Aaron Bell (bs), Sam Woodyard (drums and chants) REC. 1962

63773.jpg

I must have simple ears or something, because I flat out love this track.

It's just one big mess of fun and impovisation. I smile bigger than shit everytime I hear it.

Ray Nance and Sam Woodyard are the highlights for me.

Thanks Duke! :tup

I thought for sure this was a gimme.

Track 12: Editation

Harry "Sweets" Edison (tp), Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis (ts), Benny Carter (as), Ray Bryant (p), Milt Hinton (bs), Grady Tate (drums) REC. 1976

This is obviously a Benny Carter (Pablo) jam session, although Carter didn't solo on this track so I threw it in as a stumper. It seems like a lot of you guys were able to pick out "Lockjaw:, nice job.

61467.jpg

I wanted to use something off my favorite Carter date, "Further Definitions", but I was already making it too easy. :g

Track 13: More Than You Know

Bob Wilber (cl), Ray Bryant (p), Chubby Jackson (bs), Panama Francis (drums)

REC. 1978

318122.jpg

The responses on this one really surprised me.

Yes, the recording sounds a bit odd, but I assure you it is in no way "devil music". ;)

I bought this sucker about 5 or 6 years ago and played the hell out of it. The big band is indeed an all star lineup.

Arnett Cobb, Joe Newman, Doc Cheatham, Cat Anderson, Jimmy Maxwell, Charles McPherson, Pepper Adams,Benny Powell, + a host of others.

Hamp is being Hamp, and there is really some great music to be found here.This track in particular.

For the most part I don't think it's anything to be taken too seriously.

Track 14: How High The Moon

Charlie Shavers (tp), Teddy Wilson (p), Remo Palmieri (g), Red Norvo (vibes), Al Hall (bs), Specs Powell (drums) REC. 1945

Not much of a secret here, this is classic Teddy Wilson all the way.

I have this particular track on two different cds.

This one...

425416.jpg

and this one....

641.gif

I burned the track off the latter. Liner notes and digital restoration are by our very own Allen Lowe.

Track 15: Penthouse Serenade

Erroll Garner (p), John Simmons (bs), Shadow Wilson (drums)

REC. 1950/51

A gimme? You tell me. :)

Erroll Garner may be one of the most recognizable styles ever. I knew I wouldn't fool many, if any, but I don't see Erroll discussed much so I was just trying to see how much love was out there.

For me hearing his beautiful playing brings back some great memories of sitting in the living room with my father while he listened to music.

I burned the track from this one...

64842.jpg

Liner notes by Chris Albertson.

Track 16: Finger Filibuster

Hugh Ragin, Dontae Winslow, Omar Kabir, James Zollar, (tpts), Clark Terry (flugelhorn), Craig Taborn (p), Jaribu Shadid (bs), Bruce Cox (drums)

REC. 2000

403592.jpg

The cd is titled Fanfare and Fiesta

It's great to hear Terry keeping up with the younger players.

Many different styles being explored here, including a track titled "A Prayer for Lester Bowie".

If you dig Hugh Ragin, you'll like this one.

Thanks again for playing, I enjoyed doing it.

I enjoyed participating! A few comments:

5. My face is red! I was so sure this was Jimmy Heath!

13. Seems like a lot of people (myself included) thought this was Benny Goodman! Wilbur can really sound like him! I guess the kinda dramatic ending that Wilbur delivers is un-BG like, so I should've known better.

14. Are the two versions on the CD's the same? The one you played was originally on Musicraft. They also cut a version for Standard Transcriptions. I've got the Standards on a 2 Jazz Archive LP's, but they have been released on numerous budget LP's (and probably CD's) over the years.

I enjoyed participating! A few comments:

5. My face is red! I was so sure this was Jimmy Heath!

13. Seems like a lot of people (myself included) thought this was Benny Goodman! Wilbur can really sound like him! I guess the kinda dramatic ending that Wilbur delivers is un-BG like, so I should've known better.

14. Are the two versions on the CD's the same? The one you played was originally on Musicraft. They also cut a version for Standard Transcriptions. I've got the Standards on a 2 Jazz Archive LP's, but they have been released on numerous budget LP's (and probably CD's) over the years.

It is indeed the same version on each cd.

I batted .000 this time around. 16Ks. :g

Nicely done catesta, thanks again.

I've got to pick up some Ellington with Hawk, Jimmy Woods, Fathead, Benny Carter...Nearly every BFT has introduced me to more discs I'd like to add to my collection than I can possibly afford, and this one was no exception. I've got a hell of a "want list" though! :cool:

REC. 1965

503694.jpg

I was surprised more didn't get this one. I thought it was a pretty popular recording. Not much to say other than, if you did like the track, then you will like the rest of it.

This CD at the top of my queue at yourmusic.com and was sent to me at about the same time as your BFT arrived, i.e., a couple of weeks before Hurricane Wilma hit which effectively ended my listening save for a couple of CDs squirreled away in the car. Had I bothered to listen to it instead of allowing it to languish by my CD deck, I just might have nailed this track. :g

REC. 1965

503694.jpg

I was surprised more didn't get this one.

Well, at least I thought it sounded like it .... this is on my wish list ever since it was issued.

Thanks, Chris, for the trip. What I love about these BFTs, among many other things, is that it stumps my nose on things I never knew about and never would, like the surprising trumpet finale, or on recoprds I had but sold - the Jimmy Woods: what demon made me sell that LP ?!?!?!?! - same goes for the Marsh/Brown, which didn't capture me enough to keep it. OTOH the Perkins/Kamuca somehow did, and I still have it - strange is the mind of a jazzfan.

Good, and very entertaining job :tup - and I trust there wil be enough music to challenge our ears in years to come.

Edited by mikeweil

I've just got round to comparing the answers to what I said all that long time ago. Certainly some I might have guessed if I'd been a bit more alert - particularly Harold Land - he was the one I felt I should know but couldn't produce the name - same for Carmell Jones but a little less so.

Warne Marsh was a name that did occur at the time but I was not confident enough to say so. Kenny Burrell in 2 too! The tracks I liked most were 1, 4, 5, 6, 9 and 16. Missed Clark in the last - poor show!

Thanks again for an interesting, enjoyable and challenging CD with lots of variety, Chris - what more can we ask?