Need some Gil Melle liner notes...a scan perhaps

Parkertown

Could someone help a bruddah out?

I'm trying to make a little replica of this 10" lp for a buddy. He's a tuba player in the Colorado Wind Ensemble and he totally digs the playing of Don Butterfield, who is featured on this set.

This came out as a JRVG...could somebody please post a scan of the back cover? I've got a good one of the front.

My audio source is the Conn edition of his 10" BN lps...

This would be so :cool:

Or perhaps someone knows of a transcription of the liner notes online somewhere? (Or could type it up for me?) That would suffice. I'm pretty I sure I could create a decent-looking layout based on a couple of the 10" JRVGs I do have (Jutta Hipp 5tet, the two Elmo Hopes,...).

So...let's bump this thread up for some exposure... :w

Edited by Parkertown

Used to have it (bought it at the time because it looked and sounded "cool") but don't any longer, though I sure do have, and love, the CD reissue. I'm virtually certain that the original had notes. The piece from that album that really tickles me is "Threadneedle Street," one of the most insidiously charming little melodies that anyone ever came up with. You're tuba-playing friend is right -- Butterfield plays his valves off throughout. ("Threadneedle Street" BTW is the street in London on which the Bank of England is located, if that's what Melle had in mind. I believe that the Bank of E. was once commonly referred to as "The Old Lady of Threadneedle Street.")

Talking of tunes that one can't shake, all I have to do is think "Night Gallery" to hear Melle's creepy electronic music for the opening credits! Apparently, it was the first all electronic tv theme.

You can hear it here:

http://www.nightgallery.net

hit episode guide, and then "next" to get past the pilot episode screen. The first version is not so familiar...he overdubbed all the parts himself on this one.

Thanks for your take, Larry.

My friend says Don has always been a hero, not just because of his ability to solo quite well, but because of his great ensemble work. Just a solid, all-around player.

The search continues... -_-

P.S. The Colorado Wind Ensemble had a concert this past Saturday that I attended with my wife and a buddy. I love this group as they choose very interesting music to perform. (And I just love the 4 percussionists + 1 tympani onstage...hell, they're all over the place! ). But at this concert, their grand finale was a pretty recent composition...I forget the name of the composer...where's that program...

It was called "Godzilla vs Las Vegas." Everything those words conjure in your mind was present in this piece of music. The musicians even added screams, dog-barking, costume changes, marching feet, onstage cocktails...all within the course of this piece. The program even listed a storyline you could follow that illustrates the various sections of the piece. Las Vegas' counter-attack was by an army of little, miniature Elvises, referred to as "Elvi." I've never heard anything like this...absolutely incredible! :tup

Edited by Parkertown

AMG indicates this was reissued as a JRVG.

g82757z6234.jpg

It also appeared in the 1500 series reissues of a few years back. Which is how I first heard it.

Cannot for the life of me recall who penned the notes, but I don't recall it being Melle.

IIRC, the title (though not the composition) "Nice Questions" was inspired by Herbie Nichols.

g82757z6234.jpg

It also appeared in the 1500 series reissues of a few years back. Which is how I first heard it.

Cannot for the life of me recall who penned the notes, but I don't recall it being Melle.

IIRC, the title (though not the composition) "Nice Questions" was inspired by Herbie Nichols.

Wrong record.

g82757z6234.jpg

Wrong record.

Well crap.

I'm going to blame my medication.

Peter,

Well that could be something, I guess. I don't know how to contact "buyers" on eBay though...only "sellers." Suggestions?

Go to the article page, click on the buyer's name to go to his profile page. There should be a contact option somwhere - you can send him an e-mail from there, but without seeing his adress.

Thanks Andy but, alas, it is not. I just wish the keeper of that website would get the one I need up. :) Gee, does he have a "contact" link on his site...? Hmmm, I'll have to go root around his site for awhile...

It will be nice if I can accomplish this, but it's not the end of the world if I don't. I can probably create a decent mockup, perhaps as a back cover that lists other lps as some of them did back then.