Dexter Gordon

Alon Marcus

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, I have been offered a place in the Organissimo witness protection program -

come on allen it's not that bad. it's just that we all know dex was a heroin addict, a junkie. i'd make a small wager that he was loaded every time he blew into the mouth piece. no heroin and alcohol=no parker, no stitt, no dex, no ammons, no milt jackson, no pepper, no prez, they'd be working at the post office or be in the service, so for you to take so much time to place so much emphasis on dex's impaird playing is MOOT. another poster asked a question you haven't answered, "have you heard him play clean and sober" probably not as he probably never did so you have no reference point. what you hear as a blurred, slurred performance, we dex devotees hear style and swagger, greasy and gritty blues. and of course the icing on the cake was dex's infectious personality. what do you want the blues to sound like. you didn't like his responses in your interview, you belittle and demean him. he was like that because he scoped out your bias and your intention to acquire a basis for future scorn and ridicule befor you even got started. he wasn't an airline pilot, heart surgeon, bus driver, heavy equipment operator, he was an artist, one of the greatest jazz sax sophonist of all time and i will continue to be a staunch defender and devotee of LTD.........

Could some of you professional players answer this for me : As far as I know, Dex played almost all his eighths straight. And he played behind the beat most of the time. Yet (to my ear) he swung as much as any player I've heard. Seems there might be some intrinsic connection between the straight 8s and the slight delay in rhythmic resolution versus the rest of the band. (Like it wouldn't have swung as hard if he had played on or ahead of the beat.) I know he knew a thousand little rhythmic motifs so it's probably rather complex how he swung so hard. I'm listening to Homecoming "Gingerbread Boy" right now, and from 00:42 to 02:20 it seems like he doesn't get into anything tricky rhythmically, but from there on I think there are a few decent examples of Dex displaying his unique (?) concept of time.

Of course, after Dex starts up WS ... and that's another world. I don't even try to figure it out !

Well, most of us can cite times we experienced Dex. One of the most sublime live moments I can recall is when Dexter introduced Sonny Stitt in the audience at the Vanguard, stating tongue in cheek, "I'd like to call up an old.....old.......VERY old friend to the bandstand" and they both tore into McShann's "Jumping Blues". Just fabulous, a real highlight among quite a few I've witnessed. Just wanted to add a highly positive note about a great jazz artist.

well, I have been offered a place in the Organissimo witness protection program -

come on allen it's not that bad. it's just that we all know dex was a heroin addict, a junkie. i'd make a small wager that he was loaded every time he blew into the mouth piece. no heroin and alcohol=no parker, no stitt, no dex, no ammons, no milt jackson, no pepper, no prez, they'd be working at the post office or be in the service, so for you to take so much time to place so much emphasis on dex's impaird playing is MOOT. another poster asked a question you haven't answered, "have you heard him play clean and sober" probably not as he probably never did so you have no reference point. what you hear as a blurred, slurred performance, we dex devotees hear style and swagger, greasy and gritty blues. and of course the icing on the cake was dex's infectious personality. what do you want the blues to sound like. you didn't like his responses in your interview, you belittle and demean him. he was like that because he scoped out your bias and your intention to acquire a basis for future scorn and ridicule befor you even got started. he wasn't an airline pilot, heart surgeon, bus driver, heavy equipment operator, he was an artist, one of the greatest jazz sax sophonist of all time and i will continue to be a staunch defender and devotee of LTD.........

there are questions, "have you heard him play clean and sober", you just can't or don't want to answer them....... Edited by mrjazzman

ok mr jazzman - here are your answers - in order:

1) yes

2) no

3) perhaps

4) not at this time

5) if you say so

6) yes, if both parties consent

7) she told me she was 18

more frivolity from allenlowe, I'm very serious about my jazz, especially when it involves a MASTER like dex, and thanks for the "if you say so" because i'm definitly saying so.........................and leave the cofee and cigarettes alone, caffine and nicotine are more addictive than heroin, im not surprised that you responded to my comments with sillyness.................................

caffine and nicotine are more addictive than heroin, im not surprised that you responded to my comments with sillyness.................................

Dude, coffee is more addictive than herion? Do you have some research to back that up?

It's been difficult for me to not respond with some silliness. There is ample bait.

I'll restate my position at this point that Allen and I feel entirely differently about the quality of Dexter Gordon's playing, but I'm not feeling in any way offended or threatened by our difference of opinion and I've been happy to read the palate of interpretations. Went back and listened through my Dex collection to see if maybe it cheapened it for me...it didn't, they still make my desert island overnight bag.

Headed back to the kitchen for a cup of joe or some sweet relief from the needle...I'll decide when I get there if I don't stop on the way for some cigarettes.

ok mr jazzman - here are your answers - in order:

1) yes

2) no

3) perhaps

4) not at this time

5) if you say so

6) yes, if both parties consent

7) she told me she was 18

more frivolity from allenlowe, I'm very serious about my jazz, especially when it involves a MASTER like dex, and thanks for the "if you say so" because i'm definitly saying so.........................and leave the cofee and cigarettes alone, caffine and nicotine are more addictive than heroin, im not surprised that you responded to my comments with sillyness.................................

Loosen up young sir; take some advice from T-Bone Walker:

Have fun while you can

Fate's an awful thing

Have fun while you can

Fate's an awful thing

You can't tell what might happen

That's why I love to sing.

MG

Edited by The Magnificent Goldberg

caffine and nicotine are more addictive than heroin, im not surprised that you responded to my comments with sillyness.................................

I'll restate my position at this point that Allen and I feel entirely differently about the quality of Dexter Gordon's playing, but I'm not feeling in any way offended or threatened by our difference of opinion and I've been happy to read the palate of interpretations. Went back and listened through my Dex collection to see if maybe it cheapened it for me...it didn't, they still make my desert island overnight bag.

I agree with Troy on this one and I certainly do not want Allen to feel that he has to go into the "witness protection" program. I think his comments (while I don't agree) created one of the best threads we have had on the board in a while. No need to allow this to descend into anything more than artistic differences. Obviously the folks here have strong opinions about Dex, both positive and negative. That is what is fun about jazz. On more than one occasion I have had disagreements with friends about various players. Often I later change my mind. Some players I don't think I will ever "get" but these types of discussions make me listen to their work in a different light. I hope that we always be able to have open discussions and healthy disagreements on this board without personal attacks. That has killed more than one board that I know of!!!

Remember how we all ended up here...D%&# glad we did.

Best