What artist did you discover for the first time in 2005?

Hardbopjazz

Jim Campilongo, guitar- along the lines of Danny Gatton, rockabilly/blues/swing

Rebirth Brass Band- even saw them live in NO in July-GREEEEEAT!!!!!

Electric Masada- John Zorn's thing- I'm hooked

Andrew Hill- better late than never

Don Ellis

Tal Farlow

Peter Brotzman

Ken Vandermark

There's probably a dozen more that I can't think of right now. 90%+ of the new folks I discovered in 2005 was the result of this board- I thank all who suggested, :tup and my wallet curses every last one of you people who recommended anything- especially stuff I liked! :tdown

Jessica Williams. Somehow I'd not heard this great pianist before. Wow, can this lady ever play.

You bet. She has recorded a boatload of CD's. I have 15 of them, but I'll bet there's another 25 out there I don't have.

Anyway to answer the question- vibraphonist Joe Locke. :tup

Jessica put out Vol 1 and Vol 2 of Live At Yoshi's last year (on MaxJazz) ...just like Mulgrew Miller. She is terrific!

John, have you listened to Joe's new one with the Milt Jackson Tribute Band - Rev-Elation? Good stuff. :tup

The biggest find for me this year was Kevin O'Neil. His guitar work with Anthony Braxton was quite a pleasant surprise. Also really like his solo album "Sous Rature"

Same here. O'Neill is pretty terrifying technically, and always seems to have fresh ideas.

My 3 favorite new discoveries this year:

Bandleader Mulatu Astatqe, the incredible group Akron/Family, and the classical composer Alfred Schnittke (through guitar genius Ben Monder's recommendation of the choral piece Psalms of Repentance).

PHILLYQ, do you have Campilongo's Table for One? It's a gorgeous record -- definitely his most laid back, but beautiful, with great tunes & playing, and featuring the always-amazing Rob Burger (of Tin Hat Trio fame) on organ, piano & accordion. Check it out! The live record he did at Cafe DuNord in SF (w/ Burger, Scott Amendola & Jon Evans) is another essential one, in my book. What a player.

nathan

Kevin O'Neil is indeed excellent but I couldn't stand that Braxton project--I have the 2nd vol of it & some it is just painful to listen to (the mangling of "Waltz for Debby" for instance).

While I'm being a party pooper maybe I'll add that another artist I discovered this year was Robert Glasper. Hated Canvas & it's already gone.

2 female jazz singers

Nancy King and Elizabeth Kontomanu

I cannot believe that I did not come accross them before.

Nancy has a real jazz voice and feel which is just so rare today.

Then Elizabeth a French singer. I was sent a copy of her last cd.

with John Scofield is her musical partner

on this CD (Waiting for Spring, Nocturne 2005: www.nocturne.fr)

If you like serious jazz vocal it is a must.

jazz1

Frank Hewitt (thanks to Jim Sangrey's thread here)

Dick & Kiz Harp

The Decemberists (yeah, I've turned into the kind of "NPR adult" that I used to mock as a younger, more arrogant indie-rock fan--I discover cool bands now around the time of their third CD)

Snow Patrol (see above)

:D Pretty funny. Did you know that Decemberists are going to be recording on the Elliott Smith Portland Tribute? I can't remember what song they're doing.

This may be a long shot, but Fresh Air did a spot on the folk revival. Talked about Vashti Banyan, Devandra, etc. and played a cut from a contemporary Argentine folk songwriter. Any leads on that? I can't seem to download the show from npr's site. They also played an excerpt from the recordings that Animal Collective made with Vashti Banyan. They sounded fantastic!

Frank Hewitt (thanks to Jim Sangrey's thread here)

Dick & Kiz Harp

The Decemberists (yeah, I've turned into the kind of "NPR adult" that I used to mock as a younger, more arrogant indie-rock fan--I discover cool bands now around the time of their third CD)

Snow Patrol (see above)

:D Pretty funny. Did you know that Decemberists are going to be recording on the Elliott Smith Portland Tribute? I can't remember what song they're doing.

Yeah, and I can't remember what song they're doing either. Looking forward to that CD, though. The Decemberists have left Kill Rock Stars to sign with Capitol. AFAIK, Petra Haden is still playing with them.