Why no Cal Tjader set?

just outta curiousity... I've just started listening to him and checked out his discography and noticed he had a fair number of Verve dates...

is it fair to assume that the reason there hasn't been a Mosaic set is because a lot of the material is still in print???

What's not? What would be on a set???

As I have nothing by him.. should I start on his Fantasy/OJC stuff in the hope that a Mosaic set does come out???

What's his 2 or 3 best albums??

As I have nothing by him.. should I start on his Fantasy/OJC stuff in the hope that a Mosaic set does come out???...

Mike, have you seen this :blink: Nothing, he has NOTHING :(

ok, here some helping hand

The Jazzy side you can cover as a starter with the Live at the Blackhawk and for the Studio part I would use the Tjader/Getz Sextet one (best the SACD version even when having no SACD player but the remaster sound much better than the normal OJC)... oh and Vince G. is playing on both :g

d71460c1722.jpg

Some Latin one:

d23619501op.jpg

and one of the "Soul-records" on Verve best this:

d30000opr85.jpg

and finally the Concord period you can choose e.g. this two-fer as a reasonable selection:

g09743b6u1x.jpg

but to answer the question on Mosaic... I don't care to much as most records are still available in print on CD while LP's mights be much harder to find.

Cheers, Tjobbe

Edited by tjobbe

don't know although in Tjaders case you wouldn't have any problems to pull together a full set with "pure-Jazz-only" material from his 50's Fantasy recordings but I guess that this is due most of the material is still in print as OJC's or been re-issued as two-LP-on-one-CD packages already not of commercial interest....

Cheers, Tjobbe

Edited by tjobbe

Isn't it a true-ism or a truth that Mosaic won't be able to listen former-fantasy label items? (That may be changed now with the Concord acquisition, but I wouldn't be surprised if it hasn't). That would be one reason that there is no Tjader set. That would leave mostly Universal sessions, right?

There's not much that isn't Concord/fantasy or Verve. A couple for Skye, one for DCC and a great 45rpm LP for Crystal Clear - Huracan - which absolutely LEAPS off the turntable! It was one of those Direct Disc recordings that were around in the late 70s - this one was 1978.

MG

• 4 months later...

The DCC was recorded for Skye but not released at the time - making a total of two studio and two live discs each for the Skye label.

Huracán is indeed nice - it was on a Laserlight CD with two bonus tracks, but LP copies are easily found on ebay or GEMM.com at reasonable prices.

Edited by mikeweil

just outta curiousity... I've just started listening to him and checked out his discography and noticed he had a fair number of Verve dates...

is it fair to assume that the reason there hasn't been a Mosaic set is because a lot of the material is still in print???

What's not? What would be on a set???

Verve released 15 LPs by Tjader:

Verve V6-8419 Cal Tjader - In A Latin Bag

Verve V6-8459 Cal Tjader - Saturday Night, Sunday Night At The Blackhawk

Verve V6-8470 Cal Tjader Plays The Contemporary Music of Mexico and Brazil

Verve V6-8472 Anita O'Day & Cal Tjader - Time For Two

Verve V6-8507 Cal Tjader - Several Shades Of Jade

Verve V6-8531 Cal Tjader - Soña Libré

Verve V6-8575 Cal Tjader - Breeze From The East

Verve V6-8585 Cal Tjader - Warm Wave

Verve V6-8614 Cal Tjader - Soul Sauce

Verve V6-8626 Cal Tjader - Soul Bird: Whiffenpoof

Verve V6-8637 Cal Tjader - Soul Burst

Verve V6-8651 Cal Tjader & Eddie Palmieri - el sonido nuevo

Verve V6-8671 Cal Tjader - Along Comes Cal

Verve V6-8730 Cal Tjader - Hip Vibrations

Verve V6-8769 Cal Tjader - The Prophet

These are the CDs with complete LPs - some are OOP:

Verve 519 812-2 Cal Tjader & Eddie Palmieri - el sonido nuevo

Verve 521 668-2 Cal Tjader - Soul Sauce

Verve 537 083-2 Cal Tjader – Several Shades of Jade / Breeze From The East

Verve 543 380-2 Cal Tjader Plays The Contemporary Music of Mexico and Brazil

Verve 549 111-2 Cal Tjader – Soul Bird: Whiffenpoof

Verve 557 446-2 Cal Tjader - Soul Burst

Verve 559 808-2 Anita O'Day & Cal Tjader - Time For Two

Verve 815 058-2 Cal Tjader - Sona Libré

The Prophet has been on Japanese CD, but is OOP.

Tracks from the others have been reissued on various Verve compilations, with one exception:

Nothing from Saturday Night, Sunday Night At The Blackhawk has ever appeared on any CD, which is a shame, as it is one of Tjader's very best straightahead live LPs.

Used LPs in good condition are easy to find on ebay or GEMM.com at fair prices.

There was one LP recorded for Tico under Eddie Palimieri's name in 1966 which also belongs into this time period:

Tico SLP-1150 Cal Tjader & Eddie Palmieri - Bamboléate

This has seen various CD reissues.

A complete Tjader Verve box set would take 8 CDs, all filled to the brim. There still is a handful of unissued tracks in the Verve vaults.