Louis Armstrong footage

Newk

The Louis Armstrong filmed version of these songs have always been some of my favorite footage.

I think it was recorded during a European tour in the early 30's.

Is there more available than just Dinah and I Cover the Waterfront?

Is there a DVD available of these complete performances and any additional footage from the same date?

Thanks!

During his 1933 visit to Copenhagen, Louis appeared in a Danish feature film, København-Kalundborg. He performed 3 numbers, accompanied by a big band: "I Cover the Waterfront", "Dinah," and "Tiger Rag." Fortunately, the Danish film people decided to shoot it live rather than have Louis dub in his vocal--as was often done in those days.

These clips are the shit! I've seen them excerpted in Gary Giddins's Armstrong documentary. Beautiful stuff. Is here somewhere to get all three of them unedited?

Armstrong was so spontaneous that it's almost painful to watch him try to lip-synch, as he was forced to do in other contexts.

The Danes were very smart to film him live, providing us with a priceless document of him in his prime.

In my memory, that clip of him singing "Dinah," with his eyes closed and as far from "mugging" as can be imagined, is one of the most beautiful things ever commited to film.

They are reproduced on cd in their entirety on "Louis Armstrong in Scandinavia Volume One" on Storyille. The three volumes in this series so far are awesome!

I know of only one full video appearance of these: Yazoo's "At the Jazz Band Ball" which is a great hour of early jazz film.

This is my very favorite part of the Burns documentry. In one of the pre-flight interviews aired before the initial broadcast of the series, Burns talks a little bit about the first time he and his crew saw this footage. He said they were absolutely dumfounded. So was I.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

• 2 weeks later...

Yazoo's "At the Jazz Band Ball" is available through Netflix. As Lon said, it has the Louis Armstrong performances I was looking for. It also has some great Bill Robinson, and more!

I also pick up "Louis Armstrong in Scandinavia Vol. 1" and "Plays W.C. Handy".

This weekend I may get a couple Fats Waller cd's. Can anyone recommend "Piano Masterworks Vol. 1 & 2 on EPM? They are easily available and have some of his early piano work. Is this a good source for these recordings?

Thanks for the response, Lon and all!

as I recall (and I'm not 100 percent certain) - that Yazoo has great video but very destructive noise reduction done to the sound -

It's not so much the noise reduction, as the phony stereo and distortion added by doing this stereo spread. Still, it's an essential disc.

I should make a seperate thread, but I was thrilled to find Roots and Rhythm still had a few copies of the fantastic FORTE label 3 cd set of the Armstrong/ Henderson material, remastered (superbly) by J. R. T. Davies in the early 90s. This has been OOP for a while, so head to their web site! It's listed in newsletter #134.

:tup on the Forte set!

The same Danish material sounds awful on the Storyville cd really. . . . I don't have a stereo vcr going so didn't notice fake stereo on the tape. . . but the sound on the cd is almost as if it was dolbied and nondolbied about five times on a six generation dube. . . . Still Armstrong and band can be heard and the music is so wonderful.

• 10 years later...