Recent Down Loads And Additions From E - Music

Soulstation1

^^^

Weird. I had to install a new version of the download manager to get my tracks this month.

Pleased with what I got this time:

Shawn Lee & Clutchy Hopkins - Clutch Of The Tiger (instrumental electronic)

Brownout - Homenage (latin funk instrumental)

Chin Chin - The Flashing, The Fancing (neo soul)

Menahan Street Band - Make The Road By Walking (instrumental funk, highly recommended)

V/A - Black Feeling (great jazz funk compilation)

The Last Poets - Delights In The Garden with Bernard Purdie (spoken word & funk)

Gil Scott-Heron - It's Your World, The Mind Of Gil Scott-Heron, From South Africa To South Carolina (been meaning to get these for a while)

Mayer Hawthorne - Maybe So, Maybe No 12" (neo soul)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone have this problem.

Most times I download an album two tracks freeze half way. I have to press resume to get them (and remember to do this!).

Sometimes resume does not work. The only way to get the tracks is to re-download. They often turn up in a different file with strange symbols replacing some letters in the titles.

Most times I download an album two tracks freeze half way. I have to press resume to get them (and remember to do this!).

very rarely

Sometimes resume does not work. The only way to get the tracks is to re-download. They often turn up in a different file with strange symbols replacing some letters in the titles.

Never the letter problem

With the old download manager, there were tracks that failed to download. At the end of each session, I had to scroll to review if there were tracks like that, then resumed their downloading.

The one session I've had with the new d'l manager, it connects with iTunes and automatically puts the tracks there. I reviewed each album in iTunes, and, sure enough, one track in one album didn't download. I downloaded the track again and it was fine.

I haven't experienced the different file with strange symbols.

IMO

Emusic is falling apart

Someone on the message board said that you will only be able to DL a song or album a max of 4 times

Not sure if that is true or not

That's in their new FAQ. I'm not sure why this is such an issue, other than eMusic kind of sneaking it in there. eMusic and Amie St. are the only services I've ever heard of where you can download your tracks again anyway.

IMO

Emusic is falling apart

Someone on the message board said that you will only be able to DL a song or album a max of 4 times

Not sure if that is true or not

True, but why would anyone want/need to d/l the same track more than 4 times? That's also 4 times more than itunes provides.

edit: once again, I'm redundant! :lol:

Edited by RDK

I used to enjoy the eMusic message boards as there were some good people on there sharing gems and general music talk. Now it's nothing but a feedback loop of outrage, speculation and misinformation. I understand that people are pissed about how this was handled, I am too. But, I wish that people would get it that the indie labels have been asking for more money for a long time and that's why the rates went up. You can propose whatever convoluted tiered download credit scheme you'd like, but the fact of the matter is, Sony or not, it's out of the question because the indie labels want more money.

Even at the new rates, eMusic will be less than iTunes and Amazon, unless things are on sale at either of those places. Yes, I'll be paying more, but hopefully the labels and artists I want to support will be getting more as well. I don't know why I even bother bringing these things up over there because clearly it's more fun to hate the evil major labels/Sony/RIAA/etc., than to consider that maybe the indies were getting tired of getting really low rates from eMusic.

(And I know we can debate if people would have made more selling more at the lower rates or potentially selling less at the newer ones. It's too early to tell, though I know the iTunes price increase seemed to backfire. It's kind of a moot point though if more labels have been threatening to leave over the rates. That's really the label's problem now.)

Sorry for the rant.

I used to enjoy the eMusic message boards as there were some good people on there sharing gems and general music talk. Now it's nothing but a feedback loop of outrage, speculation and misinformation. I understand that people are pissed about how this was handled, I am too. But, I wish that people would get it that the indie labels have been asking for more money for a long time and that's why the rates went up. You can propose whatever convoluted tiered download credit scheme you'd like, but the fact of the matter is, Sony or not, it's out of the question because the indie labels want more money.

Even at the new rates, eMusic will be less than iTunes and Amazon, unless things are on sale at either of those places. Yes, I'll be paying more, but hopefully the labels and artists I want to support will be getting more as well. I don't know why I even bother bringing these things up over there because clearly it's more fun to hate the evil major labels/Sony/RIAA/etc., than to consider that maybe the indies were getting tired of getting really low rates from eMusic.

(And I know we can debate if people would have made more selling more at the lower rates or potentially selling less at the newer ones. It's too early to tell, though I know the iTunes price increase seemed to backfire. It's kind of a moot point though if more labels have been threatening to leave over the rates. That's really the label's problem now.)

Sorry for the rant.

Exactly.

BTW, I've taken a hiatus from the eMusic board, too - for the same reason.

The last shot...

Lester Young - Pres

Coleman Hawkins - The Hawk Relaxes

Coleman Hawkins with the Red Garland Trio: Swingville

Coleman Hawkins All Stars Featuring Joe Thomas And Vic Dickenson: Swingville

Coleman Hawkins - Bean and the Boys

Jimmy Raney - The Master

Jimmy Raney - But Beautiful

Rosemary Clooney - Sings the music of Harold Arlen

Rosemary Clooney - Sings the music of Jimmy Van Heusen

Stan Getz - The Dolphin

Art Pepper - Landscape

Warne Marsh & Lee Konitz - Live at Montmartre Vol. 3

Sarah Vaughan - Duke Ellington Songbook vol 2

Bye, guys!

Well the new Sony drop is interesting at a quick look.

The Good: Glenn Gould - Preludes, Fugues and Fughettas - Expanded Edition (is this worth getting btw?) is 30 tracks but will cost you 12 credits.

The Legendary Okeh & Epic Recordings by Ahmad Jamal is 21 credits and only costs you 12.

The Bad: Miles Davis - Big Fun which is 8 tracks will cost you 24 credits.

The later kind of pisses me off as I was looking forward to having Big Fun in digital format (though my vinyl copy is fine).

If anybody finds good deals on 20 plus multi track discs please post them.

Edited by WorldB3

The Bad: Miles Davis - Big Fun which is 8 tracks will cost you 24 credits.

The later kind of pisses me off as I was looking forward to having Big Fun in digital format (though my vinyl copy is fine).

I own the Jack Johnson box, but downloaded "Go Ahead John" (from Amazon @ 99 cents) because the box only has the straight sessions, not the "Teo-ized" version, which is truly manic.

Wow, has eMusic really phukked up their pricing plan, especially for jazz releases. Most of my "Saved For Later" albums that had 4-7 tracks have been bumped up to 12 "credits"... Most of those Soul Notes/Black Saint albums are 12 credits, no matter whether they have 2 tracks or 9 tracks.

Even those new Billy Harper albums (put out by Billy himself) are 12 credits. No thanks...

It looks like the Fantasy family of labels have resisted the new pricing... for now.

Man, I've been with eMusic for 6 years now... but I think it's time to move on.

Album pricing is fairer, I think, than track pricing, and it's clear that classical and modern jazz labels, which tend to offer longer tracks, were getting the short end of the stick. If two albums each last 60 minutes but one has two tracks and the other has 12 tracks, shouldn't they really be priced the same? We all got used to looking for advantage in track pricing by finding albums with long tracks, but often I've regretfully passed over albums that have over 20 tracks. The tendency with album pricing will be to reduce the proportion of low-track-number albums that were priced too low and also the proportion of high-track-number albums that were priced too high.

Meanwhile, eMusic Europe has not mentioned SONY or any change in their pricing. Yet. I'm sure it will come soon.

Edited by Tom Storer

I'm not so sure if the new pricing is fairer or not. If all albums are capped at 12 downloads per then maybe, but as it stands I just went through my saved for later list well over half of the albums I had in my saved for later went from 4 to 10 downloads to 12. Meanwhile almost all of the albums I that had more than 12 tracks are now no longer available or are not capped. This is purely anecdotal evidence, but with my price per download going from 25 cents to 40 cents, this new price scheme feels to me like a jazz tax. I'd probably stick around if emusic was not a subscription service, but the new model means there is no real difference between emusic and amazon.com mp3.

When the 12 track thing is factored into the subscription, use 'em or lose 'em thing, that's where I start to have issue. At that point, it's starting to feel too much like being in a record club where you're charged every month regardless of if you order anything or not. I don't know. I'm there until my annual expires late October, but I really don't know if I'll re-up.