Top Posters In This Topic

Today I got the following:

Gene Ammons - Funky

Gene Ammons - Jammin' with Gene

Gene Ammons - Jammin' in Hi-Fi with Gene Ammons

Gene Ammons - The Happy Blues

Joe Newman - Jive at Five

Joe Newman - Good 'n' Groovy

Joe Newman - Joe's Hap'nin's (first seven tracks from The Hot Trumpets of Joe Newman and Henry "Red" Allen)

Philly Joe Jones - Showcase

McCoy Tyner Big Band - Uptown/Downtown

Paul Quinichette - On the Sunny Side

Ray Draper - Tuba Sounds

Webster Young - For Lady

Tadd Dameron - The Magic Touch

Tadd Dameron - Fontainebleau

Plus some individual tracks:

four tracks of the Don Lanphere Quartet with Fats Navarro (from Prestige First Sessions Vol. 1)

two tracks of Coleman Hawkins featuring Fats Navarro (from Bean and the Boys)

the final three tracks from Albert Ayler - The Copenhagen tapes (the rest of the disc is part of the Ayler box set)

That's a LOT of great music for 20 bucks! :)

Today I got the following:

Gene Ammons - Funky

Gene Ammons - Jammin' with Gene

Gene Ammons - Jammin' in Hi-Fi with Gene Ammons

Gene Ammons - The Happy Blues

Joe Newman - Jive at Five

Joe Newman - Good 'n' Groovy

Joe Newman - Joe's Hap'nin's (first seven tracks from The Hot Trumpets of Joe Newman and Henry "Red" Allen)

Philly Joe Jones - Showcase

McCoy Tyner Big Band - Uptown/Downtown

Paul Quinichette - On the Sunny Side

Ray Draper - Tuba Sounds

Webster Young - For Lady

Tadd Dameron - The Magic Touch

Tadd Dameron - Fontainebleau

Plus some individual tracks:

four tracks of the Don Lanphere Quartet with Fats Navarro (from Prestige First Sessions Vol. 1)

two tracks of Coleman Hawkins featuring Fats Navarro (from Bean and the Boys)

the final three tracks from Albert Ayler - The Copenhagen tapes (the rest of the disc is part of the Ayler box set)

That's a LOT of great music for 20 bucks! :)

Man, that's KILLER haul you got there! The Ammons of course are stellar and the Newman's are also tops. And Fountainbleau is of course a classic. Hell they're ALL great.

Don't know about the Draper though.... :cool:

Man, that's KILLER haul you got there! The Ammons of course are stellar and the Newman's are also tops. And Fountainbleau is of course a classic. Hell they're ALL great.

I'll be listening a lot to those Gene Ammons studio jam sessions in the next weeks

(got all the other ones already, just never really found the time to really listen to them). :)

Don't know about the Draper though.... :cool:

Not so sure about that one either, but I wanted to have all the Prestige material that Webster

Young played on. I just discovered him through Jackie McLean's Prestige discs and this

one features them both (and Mal Waldron, too), so I guess it can't be too bad. :crazy:

Edited by Kyo

I discovered the OJC stuff early (thankfully). I got that Coltrane box and studied the thing for about a month. That set me off on an immediate Mal Waldron kick, I fell in love with his "house arrangements". Anyway, those Prestige sessions of the 50's can be a fun little side journey to take.

• 2 weeks later...

Just added is one of THE GREAT Dexter Gordon albums:

11061843_155_155.jpeg

I have this on vinyl as Live At The Amsterdam Paradiso. 1967. Acceptible sound quality, tho the piano is really funky (I think the liner notes mention it was missing a couple of keys!). The pianist is Han Bennink. This is prime, supreme Dexter, playing with a real edge and high energy, just ripping into the music. Don't miss it.

Just added is one of THE GREAT Dexter Gordon albums:

11061843_155_155.jpeg

I have this on vinyl as Live At The Amsterdam Paradiso. 1967. Acceptible sound quality, tho the piano is really funky (I think the liner notes mention it was missing a couple of keys!). The pianist is Han Bennink. This is prime, supreme Dexter, playing with a real edge and high energy, just ripping into the music. Don't miss it.

I saw that and thought that the clips sounded pretty good, so I put it in the Save for Later file. Never saw it before.

BTW......Bennink plays drums.

• 2 weeks later...

This month's downloads:

Leroy Carr (3 tracks)

From "This Bird Has Flown" (3 tracks)

The Donnas Turn 21

Spyro Gyra - Morning Dance

Trudy Pitts - Legends of Acid Jazz

Ron Affif - Vierd Blues

John Coltrane - The Believer

Gerry Mulligan - Idol Gossip

Mal Waldron - Impressions

Roy Haynes - Cymbalism

Red Garland - Solar

This month's downloads:

The Donnas Turn 21

RRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrockin' !! :excited:

[i like The Donnas, actually]

I can't wait to hear this. "Spend The Night" is an amazing album, and interesting lyrically; my wife and I have spent some time discussing the songs. And they do rock out; the drummer and guitarist are very impressive.

eMusic just has so much! Everytime I look, I'm surprised. This time out, I found not just all The Donnas indie releases, but Dar Williams, Nick Lowe, and all of Moondog's European releases. Also, I just looked at Fantasy's website, and they seem to have acquired Telarc - guess all of their stuff will show up on eMusic soon. And Charlie Hunter's next album is on Fantasy. Lotsa good stuff to look forward to.