Actor Chris Penn Dies

Not ten minutes after I switched from the local news (where his death led) to a Tivo'd Entourage, there popped up Chris Penn, in the boxing ring with Drama. Chris was a young guy - 40 is right - but man, he'd sure put on some weight since last i saw him.

RIP

i think chris had big problems that related to his being sean's brother. and that bears itself out, very sadly, on this "chris rip" thread.

This occurred to me as well. Being the younger brother of one of the most celebrated actors of recent years had to be a problem for Chris.

A lot of people here seem to want to place Chris above Sean in the acting department. Can't buy it, sorry. Sean is at the very least a complicated figure, perhaps even an asshole, but he has moved me in more than one film, and I'll give him his props.

I was about to make the exact same statement - I think Sean is a bit over-rated and self-serious -

Same here. Has anyone ever seen him smile? He always looks pissed off.

Like in that Altman movie 'Shortcuts'? Yes, very scarey. But come on guys, you may not like Sean Penn the person, but he's one hell of an actor - Dead man Walking, Mystic River, Bad Boys, Casualties of War, Colors, Carlito's Way, The Thin Red Line, etc. etc. The man's got skills. His brother was good, but he is great.

I wasn't trying to slight Chris either. In fact, I liked him in Reservoir Dogs & Pale Rider. And he was even likable in Footloose, goofy as his character (and the movie as a whole) was.

I like some of Sean Penn's performances as well. I thought his performance was excellent in "I am Sam". The movie itself, not so much, perhaps. And I agree with most of the ones that Johnny mentioned as well.

He's had some clunkers too..."We're No Angels" anyone?

Edited by Aggie87

Chris Penn was a good actor who generally played fairly slight roles. One of my favorites is "The Music of Chance," an excellent film based on a Paul Auster novel. The film has a host of great performances (James Spader, Mandy Pantinkin, Charles Durning, Joel Gray, M. Emmett Walsh (one of my all time favs)). Penn has a small role as Walsh's thuggish son-in-law, but he's never less than completely believable in the role (and that's not meant as an insult). I also enjoyed him in "Short Cuts" and in "Resevoir Dogs." Sean is a very fine actor, but Chris always managed to get the audience's sympathies on his side in even the smallest roles. He was affable, even when he played a bad guy.

He should rest in peace.

Yeah well, even the great Ted Williams only got a hit 35% of the time. He's still the best hitter in the history of baseball.

Pfffegh. Shoeless Joe Jackson.

Saw Chris Penn this past season on Law & Order; man he looked old. I guess he was, in a way...

Yeah well, even the great Ted Williams only got a hit 35% of the time. He's still the best hitter in the history of baseball.

Pfffegh. Shoeless Joe Jackson.

I don't mean to show disrespect to the deceased by hijacking Mr. Penn's thread, but surely you don't mean to say that Shoeless Joe was a better hitter than Ted Williams do you Moose? :huh:

Shoeless Joe hit over .400 only once, in 1911 - an era where that feat wasn't that uncommon. Ted Williams played in the modern era and no one has hit .400 since he did in 41'. Shoeless Joe played 13 seasons with 54 HR's - Teddy ended his career with 521! And he had the prime of his career taken away by WWII. Career OBP for Williams .482 compared to .423 for Jackson. Come on Moose, please tell me you're yankin' my chain.