Ebay craziness

How about this for a reissue vinyl??

I thought I'd seen it all but that one is total and utter lunacy ...( :crazy::alien::ph34r: )

Not really when you consider how rare (and good) the album is. Versailles is a label that has barely been reissued. The Sacha Distel-Bobby Jaspar LP on Versailles is another very much sought after album.

The René Urtreger Versailles reissue was made for the Japanese market. It is a very limited edition of 300. 250 copies went away very quickly and the few remaining ones (hardly a dozen) are hitting whatever market there is for this type ofmaterial.

The reissue is a beautifully done job (apparently it was also authorized by Urtreger). It's an exact replica of the original vinyl supervised by the Sketch people when they were still releasing albums on their label which folded a few months ago.

With excellent mastering. Exactly what every vinyl reissue should be like!

Now, THIS  is really crazy.

Wow, that's unbelievable. :o I got one of these a couple of years ago and only paid $150 or so for it. Plus this one doesn't include the 2-disc "Away From The Past", which contains material from other 1966 shows and was issued with some copies of the box set in the same kind of gatefold mini-LP sleeve as the other discs, with matching artwork.

Dave

Edited by Dave Garrett

obviously it's not that crazy. there's an identical set with a current bid of $501. some people want what other people got. 'taint nothin' crazy 'bout that!

All except the officially released tunes were up on dime a few months ago... so it definitely *is* crazy. Selling boots for such prizes on Ebay is something I find quite a bit more annoying than sharing this stuff... but as long as there are people willing to pay these prizes, why not...

All except the officially released tunes were up on dime a few months ago... so it definitely *is* crazy. Selling boots for such prizes on Ebay is something I find quite a bit more annoying than sharing this stuff... but as long as there are people willing to pay these prizes, why not...

For the true completist, someone put Vigotone's "Jewels and Binoculars" up on dime within the past year or so - a mind-boggling 26 CDs represented to be all extant live Dylan recordings from 1966! This one's gotta rank up there with Benedetti's Bird recordings for sheer obsessiveness.

Edited by Dave Garrett

Now this is stupid... otherwise, could someone explain it?

Basie Clef/Verve box ---> ebay: 147 USD

MosaicRecords website ---> 136 USD

:blink:

Seller and buyer are in the UK, so shipping will be less expensive than what Mosaic charges on overseas orders (at least $20 if I remember well). And there is no risk of having customs tax added.

Edited by Claude

For the true completist, someone put Vigotone's "Jewels and Binoculars" up on dime within the past year or so - a mind-boggling 26 CDs represented to be all extant live Dylan recordings from 1966! This one's gotta rank up there with Benedetti's Bird recordings for sheer obsessiveness.

And that Jewels and Binoculars went for over $700. Ah, to have that kind of free cash on hand....

Now this is stupid... otherwise, could someone explain it?

Basie Clef/Verve box ---> ebay: 147 USD

MosaicRecords website ---> 136 USD

:blink:

Seller and buyer are in the UK, so shipping will be less expensive than what Mosaic charges on overseas orders (at least $20 if I remember well). And there is no risk of having customs tax added.

Talking about taxes, I have recently had to pay hefty amounts of money for items coming from the US and entering the UK. Is it better to ask ebay sellers to declare items as 'gifts' or 'goods'? When do customs start charging you? $50, $70, $100 or more?

Shopping on the internet (UK customs)

My recommendations:

The trick with Ebay items is for the seller to declare them as "used CDs" and indicate a low but reasonable value ($5-10/CD), so not to be over the limit for which taxes are due. Of course the customs can always require the buyer to provide for proof of the value, such as a printout copy of the auction. But if the value indicated on the package is plausible they will not insist.

Sometimes commercial operators charge an excessive service fee (20 Euro) for doing the customs formalities. Because they make money with the formalities, they will make sure the goods are declared. Better avoid them and ship with US postal air mail.

Edited by Claude

Shopping on the internet (UK customs)

My recommendations:

The trick with Ebay items is for the seller to declare them as "used CDs" and indicate a low but reasonable value ($5-10/CD), so not to be over the limit for which taxes are due. Of course the customs can always require the buyer to provide for proof of the value, such as a printout copy of the auction. But if the value indicated on the package is plausible they will not insist.

Sometimes commercial operators charge an excessive service fee (20 Euro) for doing the customs formalities.  Because they make money with the formalities, they will make sure the goods are declared. Better avoid them and ship with US postal air mail.

Thanks for the tip Claude.

Incidentally, I notice the seller is Brian Morton and lives in Scotland. Maybe the Penguin Guide guy?

How do you know his name?

I asked myself the same question, so searched for Morton and it says that cheques should be payable to Brian Morton in the payment info.

It would make me more likely to buy from him if it were true! Illogical I know.

Incidentally, I notice the seller is Brian Morton and lives in Scotland. Maybe the Penguin Guide guy?

How do you know his name?

I asked myself the same question, so searched for Morton and it says that cheques should be payable to Brian Morton in the payment info.

It would make me more likely to buy from him if it were true! Illogical I know.

Exactly. Also, apparently the Penguin Guide author lives in Scotland, as this eBay seller does.