Borders Coupons

mgraham333

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got "gunned down"

Hmm...maybe I just got lucky but the only thing the clerk said to me is "that's a darn good savings on this". Or maybe unlucky after listening to the Gene Krupa Mosaic...I'm not sure I really like this or not as I'm not much for vocals but this is the only way I would have bought it anyway...I never would have paid full price for this one, maybe it will grow on me.

The "Fat Wallet" forum reported that some store managers overrode the Cisco computer book contingency based on a lack of any noted exclusion on the coupon. So if anyone else gets told "No Dice", talk to the manager and see what happens. "Fat Wallet"...A bunch of people b.s.'n online about discounts. Sounds freakin' fun!!!

The "Fat Wallet" forum reported that some store managers overrode the Cisco computer book contingency based on a lack of any noted exclusion on the coupon. So if anyone else gets told "No Dice", talk to the manager and see what happens. "Fat Wallet"...A bunch of people b.s.'n online about discounts. Sounds freakin' fun!!!

Yipes!! Sounds like this forum I heard about where these strange people rant on and on about jazz and...

HANG ON!!!

:o

I got "gunned down"

Hmm...maybe I just got lucky but the only thing the clerk said to me is "that's a darn good savings on this".

This seems like one of those situations where we might require the assistance of some former Borders employees (Ghost? Berigan? etc.?) to throw a few clues our way so that we can positively identify the.....um, weakest link in the chain sort of speak, employee who'll not think twice about ringing up that little 40% jobber. B)

My wife and I were successful yesterday, or so we thought. Then we realized when we got home that, even though the receipt clearly said that 40% was being taken off, it turned out to be only 30%. Nevertheless, I ended up ahead because the 30% came off the total for two CDs, even though, since the coupon tells the cashier to "highlight item", its apparent that the 40% should only be off one item, so I ended up saving like $12+, when 40% off the most expensive CD would have been $10. :)

BTW, the cashier seemed to assume that this was a special offer made to people who have signed up for the e-mail update/offers/specials.

I got "gunned down"

Hmm...maybe I just got lucky but the only thing the clerk said to me is "that's a darn good savings on this".

This seems like one of those situations where we might require the assistance of some former Borders employees (Ghost? Berigan? etc.?) to throw a few clues our way so that we can positively identify the.....um, weakest link in the chain sort of speak, employee who'll not think twice about ringing up that little 40% jobber. B)

Not sure what my erstwhile colleague & friend across the aisle would say, but I would recommend politely but firmly pointing out that this is a legitimate Borders coupon and that it clearly indicates 40% is to be taken off any item that isn't already discounted. (Actually, it doesn't clearly indicate that it's for a single item--at first glance it appears it could be for any number of items--but just put it that way.) Tell 'em you signed up for the Dell giveaway, even if you didn't. :winky: Ask to speak to the manager if they continue to refuse. Ask why Borders is putting out this coupon if they're not accepting it. Make negative noises about the corporation (ask for the customer care number if you want and then, when you're told that that service has been discontinued, get even more agitated). Raise your voice, wave a gun... just kidding. Steady, slightly irritated persistence usually pays off in the manager basically saying, "OK, yeah, just this once, whatever, let's just get rid of this guy!"

At least that was my experience. ;) Mr. B may have a different perspective.

I can see that by the time the Jack Johnson box comes out, that Borders will have probably had multiple training sessions for all their employees (along with retraining for the flunkies), on how not to accept this coupon, under even the most dire of circumstances.

But I'm probably still gonna try anyway!!! :g

Well it looks like this coupon is going to get tough to use. I went back for a 2nd try and they gave me the speech about how it is only for those 3 cisco books. I said it doesn't say that on the coupon. The clerk called over the manager and he gave in saying we'll honor it just this one time. Looks like they must have changed their registers too. The first time I used it, the clerk entered the bar code number and it went through no problem, the second time the register rejected it and discount had to be applied manually. At least I was able to pick up a few things with the 40% discount.

:tup It worked! I tried calling first, and spoke to a shift manager. I pointed out the lack of any specifications on the coupon itself. Seems that they are being flexible on the single item not being a cisco book. Now I'm listening to my single cd of Joe Wilder, for a mere $8.99 (Pretty Sound of and Peter Gunn), and enjoying the hell out of it.

:tup It worked! I tried calling first, and spoke to a shift manager. I pointed out the lack of any specifications on the coupon itself. Seems that they are being flexible on the single item not being a cisco book. Now I'm listening to my single cd of Joe Wilder, for a mere $8.99 (Pretty Sound of and Peter Gunn), and enjoying the hell out of it.

If you take a look at the PDF of this 40% coupon and compare it to previous coupons, you'll notice that only the barcode and the Borders logo match. The instructions and all other text have obviously been recreated...obviously in an attempt to remove the restrictions that should be part of the coupon.

If you're able to use the coupon without question, that's fine. It's Borders responsibility to police its coupon program. But making a fuss and pointing to the lack of restrictions on the manufactured coupon is taking it a bit far.

I redeem almost every legitimate Borders coupon that is sent to my email address (often more than once) but decided not to try this one because 1) it looked manufactured when I saw it. 2) reading the linked message board and seeing the failed attempts at redemption 3) abuse of programs always brings about their demise.

Just my $0.02

I agree w/ $.01 of the above. The alterations to the coupon itself were probably done by Borders or Dell, or an appointed 3rd party. Now, to "make a fuss" or to be obnoxious , might well contribute to a more restrictive/draconian coupon policy. If one politely points out that it doesn't refer to any cisco books, it likely will result in them opting to please the customer. I think that they would first try to redesign their coupons to avoid ambiguities. But they really don't have any way of differentiating between those who got the coupon from Dell, or from some other circuitous route. They might try to find a way to figure that one out. So--I think it's pretty a "slippery slope" assumption to say that they'll do away with the whole program, because discounts (coupons) bring business. They still make a profit and sell products, everybody is happy. My $.02.

I got "gunned down"

This seems like one of those situations where we might require the assistance of some former Borders employees (Ghost? Berigan? etc.?) to throw a few clues our way B)

Yeah, don't be so Fucking cheap!!!!!!! :P mgraham333 makes a good point, something is rotten with the coupon......I haven't worked for Borders since 1999, and I am quite sure they wouldn't let a coupon out like that.....Look at it from the harried Assistant manager's viewpoint,( I was a trainer AM)....you are trying to get some work done upstairs, in-between helping out at the info desk, checking out books for employees(Who are leaving now and have to catch the bus), getting a check for a part-timer out of the safe, changing the schedule to figure out a way to cover the Music dept. since the new guy there is calling in sick on the night Jane's Addiction is in town-and he didn't get that night off,(Oh, then you see the post-it to make the next day's schedule) getting some ones for the cafe, keeping an eye on that suspisious looking guy with the big back pack, hearing that it looks like the Fecalphiliac(SP?) has left his calling card agaian, answer a few emails, now....Thurston Howell lll is down at the register with a bogus coupon , and demanding that YOU give him 40% the Duke Ellington Centennial box set with a computer book coupon!!!! :angry::angry::angry: Gimmie a volume of Books in Print to throw at the guy!!! ;) Wonder why I don't work there any more???? :mellow:

Berigan - did you work in either of the Tulsa stores... ;) I've seen the person you so vividly described.

I do my best not to be the Thurston Howell lll character. But I will make a fuss if coupons or discounts...or in some cases...regularly marked prices are not applied properly. <_<

As far as "redesigning their coupons to avoid ambiguities" goes. I've made my case that this coupon as attached in this board via PDF is not "official" The Borders logo and the barcode are legit, but all other text and layout were modified. Every other coupon that has been posted in this thread since I started it has had the official Borders look. In fact, they are usually linked directly from the Borders servers or copied as is and hosted elsewhere (as I do when I post them).

With all of that said, it should be about time to see another real coupon soon....at least a 20% - which, not as good as 40% is still better than a kick in the crotch! :wacko:

Interesting to get a former Borders employee perspective. I guessed there was something fishy about this coupon, though it didn't occur to me that it had been dicked around with in the way it seems to have been. When I tried to use it (on an $18.99 classical disc), suspicions were confirmed. The coupon coding when entered said that the price was now $7.60 (plus tax), i.e. 60 per cent off! The bemused clerk noted the discrepancy and then sold it to me anyway. Not a particularly good feeling but probably not the worst thing I've ever done.

something is rotten with the coupon

When I was at Borders, they had a master copy of this coupon in question which they showed me after I said it didn't specify just being for the 3 certain books. The manager explained saying it wasn't my fault for thinking it was good on any purchase, he showed me it was defined at the bottom of the page outside of the coupon itself. He said it was Borders fault for how it was put together and had no problem honoring it "just once" as he put it.

Yeah, don't be so Fucking cheap!!!!!!!

Borders is anything but cheap, the only time I ever spend money there is when I have a coupon.