Stanley Turrentine: Inflation

Sundog

One of the few Turrentines of this era that I have. Long story as to why.

It's....Turrentine for People Who Frighten Easily, let me put it that way. Very pop-oriented (Wade Marcus charts, always a red flag for me), and nothing to get excited about. No real need to buy it unless you're a stone Turrentine completist, or unless you meet a woman who knows absolutely nothing about jazz and you want to break her in as gently as possible.

But be careful - if you end up marrying her, she'll eventually hear the real stuff anyways, and you'll still have the damn album 25 years later. ;)

It's....Turrentine for People Who Frighten Easily, let me put it that way. Very pop-oriented (Wade Marcus charts, always a red flag for me), and nothing to get excited about. No real need to buy it unless you're a stone Turrentine completist, or unless you meet a woman who knows absolutely nothing about jazz and you want to break her in as gently as possible.

But be careful - if you end up marrying her, she'll eventually hear the real stuff anyways, and you'll still have the damn album 25 years later. ;)

I guess I'm a Turrentine completist, then. So, if I see one going cheap - very cheap - I'll buy it. Stanley was a player who always sounded great even when he was making crap records - and he made a hell of a lot of those. I love these albums 'cos it's him (same as Les McCann) not because they're necessarily good music.

Dunno why they're reissuing this one - nowt to chose between any of the Elektras farsicnsee.

MG

Thanks for sharing that. Nice story with a happy ending.

My last serious girlfriend convinced me that I liked modern country music. When she left, she not only took all the country music I bought; she also took all my EWF albums citing "emotional attachment". Hmmmm.....maybe I should buy Inflation? :D