New Criss Cross Titles in Sept

Eric

Wycliffe Gordon - Dig It (Criss Cross 1238) Sept 23

Ryan Kisor - Awakening (Criss Cross 1239) Sept 23

Ralph Peterson - Test of Time (Criss Cross 1240) Sept 23

Adam Rogers Quintet - Allegory (Criss Cross 1242) Sept 23

John Swana - On Target (Criss Cross 1241) Sept 23

Eric

I'm looking forward to the Kisor, Wycliffe Gordon, and Peterson.

According to Jeremy Pelt's website, he's on the new Peterson release:

jeremy pelt

Just picked up One For All's "Wide Horizons" on Criss Cross---good stuff getting a lot of play in my house. And I just ordered Jeremy Pelt's Insight released this winter on Criss Cross. I have high hopes for it.

I just listened to Jeremy Pelt's Insight for the first time this afternoon. WOW :excited:

Technique + Ideas... Pelt kept my attention the whole time. Man, what a bright and rising star in the jazz firmament! Ralph Peterson slamming away, in time, keeps everything swinging. Nice touch with the Wurlitzer too.

• 1 month later...

Here's some additional information I just received via e-mail:

5 New Recordings from Criss Cross Jazz. Sept. '03 Releases

Jamey D. & Julia Aebersold Sept. 6th, 2003

In this issue we take an in depth look at five brand new

recordings from Criss Cross Records

WYCLIFFE GORDON - DIG THIS!! $14.95

Wycliffe Gordon's fourth Criss Cross release features tenor saxophonist Seamus Blake and drummer Bill Stewart, who also appeared on the trombonist's critically acclaimed 2002 recording, United Soul Experience, plus Hammond B3 organist Sam Yahel and guitaristPeter Bernstein.

The mixture of familiar and new company fuels Gordon's prodigious talents as a composer, arranger, and soloist.

Uitlizing various combinations of instruments, he creates an eclectic yet coherent program out of funky jazz grooves, blues, and ballads.

Tracks: Dig This!!, Mahajual, Old Man Blooz

(take 2), Limehouse Blues, The Beautiful Souls, Jookin' The Blooz, Lonnie's

Lament, I Can't Get Started, Cone's Tune, Blues Etude #2, Old Man Blooz

(take 1)

Featuring: Wycliffe Gordon - Trombone,

Seamus Blake - Tenor Sax, Peter Bernstein - Guitar, Sam Yahel - Hammond B3

organ, Bill Stewart - Drums

RYAN KISOR - AWAKENING $14.95

Part of a new breed of jazz artists expanding the mainstream language in fresh and stimulating ways, trumpeter Ryan Kisor's Awakening returns to the organ combo as heard on his debut Criss Cross set Battle Cry.

This time around however, Kisor leaves the standards behind and opts for his own originals, which cover a good deal of ground - from the ballad tempo of Harlem Moon to the bop-inflected Effing Blues.

In addition to Kisor's own bristling solo work, organist Sam Yahel, guitarist Peter Bernstein, and tenor saxophonist Grant Stewart are heavily featured throughout this fervent showcase. On drums the great Willie Jones III.

Tracks: Awakening Part 1 & 2, Sioux City,

UFO, Harlem Moon, Effing Blues, What Can I Say?, Free As A Bird

Featuring: Ryan Kisor - Trumpet, Grant

Stewart - Tenor Sax, Peter Bernstein - Guitar, Sam Yahel - Hammond B3 organ,

Willie Jones III - Drums

RALPH PETERSON - TESTS OF TIME $14.95

For his third Criss Cross release with his quintet of up-and-coming stars - trumpeter Jeremy Pelt, tenor saxophonist Jimmy Greene, pianist Orrin Evans, and bassist Eric Revis - Ralph Peterson offers his most mature and accomplished album yet.

Like his mentor, Art Blakey, Peterson shapes the flow, stamping a set of primarily original music with his inimitable rhythmic personality.

Tracks: Respect For Truth, Tests Of Time, I

Love You, Telepathy, Neo Terra, Ballad For Queen Tiye, Prayer For Columbine,

When I Fall In Love, Question, Cheryl, Dark Prince

Featuring: Ralph Peterson - Drums, Jeremy

Pelt - Trumpet/Flugelhorn, Jimmy Greene - Tenor & Soprano Sax, Orrin Evans -

Piano, Eric Revis - Bass

JOHN SWANA - ON TARGET $14.95

Thirteen years and seven recordings after beginning his association with Criss Cross, John Swana presents his first album as the sole front-line horn.

Spurred by an ace rhythm section comprising Dutch guitar great Jesse Van Ruller, bass megastar John Patitucci, and young drum lion Eric Harland, the Philadelphia based trumpeter rises to the occasion sensationally, navigating eight original compositions with the melodic flair and technical prowess that have stamped him as a long-time Criss Cross favorite.

Like the rest of Swana's recorded oeuvre, On Target testifies to his world-class talent, his ability to flourish in the company of jazz grandmasters, an elite cohort to which he clearly belongs.

Featuring: John Swana - Trumpet/Flugelhorn,

Jesse van Ruller - Guitar, John Patitucci - Bass, Eric Harland - Drums

ADAM ROGERS - ALLEGORY $14.95

Following up on his strong 2002 debut, Art of the Invisible, guitarist Adam Rogers returns with the remarkable Allegory.

The lineup from the first record, pianist Edward Simon, bassist Scott Colley, drummer Clarence Penn, remains in place. But as if that weren't enough, tenor saxophonist Chris Potter joins to generate even more improvisational heat.

Rogers once again proves himself to be one of the most musical, technically gifted players on the scene.

His wholly original program ranges from the acoustic ballad Red Leaves to the dizzyingly complex New Fast to the haunting, hard swinging Phyrigia.

Tracks: Confluence, Phyrigia, Was, Genghis,

Angle Of Repose, Orpheus, Red Leaves, Cleveland, Purpose, Angle Of Repose

Featuring: Adam Rogers - Guitar, Chris

Potter - Tenor Sax, Edward Simon - Piano, Scott Colley - Bass, Clarence

Penn - Drums

Invite someone to join our jazz news letter today!

info@doubletimerecords.com

www.doubletimerecords.com

Edited by montg

Nice to see Sam Yahel on these records.

But why didn't Wycliffe call me?! ;)

I'll definately be picking up Wycliffe's and Kisor's.

In other news, Ron Blake's new disc is coming out Sept. 23rd too. Not sure of the label right now but it has Joey DeFrancesco on it for all you organ buffs. I will be touring with Ron at the end of the month to support the disc.

In other news, Ron Blake's new disc is coming out Sept. 23rd too. Not sure of the label right now but it has Joey DeFrancesco on it for all you organ buffs. I will be touring with Ron at the end of the month to support the disc.

Ron Blake - Lest We Forget (Mack Avenue)

— with Blake (saxophone); Rashawn Ross (trumpet); Joey DeFrancesco (organ); David Gilmore (guitar): Christian McBride (bass); Greg Hutchinson (drums)

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone picked these up yet? I bought Tests of Time from the Music Resource. It's a little more mellow and restrained than I imagined, but in a good way--some flugelhorn and flute and stuff like that. I really like the Jimmy Greene and Jeremy Pelt front line. Good writing, varied program. Those are my initial impressions. It only arrived in the mail a couple of days ago.

I'd be interested to hear what others think. The Wycliffe Gordon is next on my list.