Releases you really like, but with players on them

Rooster_Ties

I'm thinking of a few examples now (and trying to think of some better examples than the one's I'm thinking of), but I think I'll save them for when this thread gets going...

Are there any records/CD's that you really like quite a lot - and I mean really like a whole lot...

...that have one (or more) prominent players on them, who's own recordings (both as a leader, and as a sideman) you normally don't like much at all???

"I usually can't stand player "XYZ", but man - he's on "Blah, Blah, Blah" - and the whole thing works really well, even with "XYZ" on the date. What's up with that???"

OK, I'll bite. Two albums come to mind: 1) Jerry Granelli(sp?) A Song I Thought I Heard Bolddy Bolden Sing(?) with Kenny Garett, Bill Frissell and others I'm ussually fine with also includes Robin Ford whose playing I usually find rather antoseptic, but here I dig him just fine; Time Berne's Julius Hemphill tribute (the name of which I'm forgetting) includes David Sanborn whose airbrushed playing doesn't normally do much for me either but he's just dandy in this context. I'm sure there's others too.

If we can go back in time to apply our dislike to players we once liked but no longer do, I'd list the first Dreams album. I really don't care too much for either old or new Michael Brecker these days, but that opening solo on Side Two is one for the ages, even today.

Simularily, I'd put Horace Silver's ...27TH MAN on the list. Not TOO many players on that album that I dig too much anywhere else, but that's a damn fine record. A credit to the strength of Horace's musical personality, no doubt.

Simularily, I'd put Horace Silver's ...27TH MAN on the list. Not TOO many players on that album that I dig too much anywhere else, but that's a damn fine record. A credit to the strength of Horace's musical personality, no doubt.

I tried that album. Twice. I just couldn't get with it. Something really cheezy about it that I couldn't get over. Oh well. Different strokes.

I'm trying to think of an album that applies to this category, but I'm having trouble at the moment. If I come across something, I'll be sure to post it. You guys have some funny games! :mellow:

If we can go back in time to apply our dislike to players we once liked but no longer do, I'd list the first Dreams album. I really don't care too much for either old or new Michael Brecker these days, but that opening solo on Side Two is one for the ages, even today.

Check out Mike's solo on "The Purple Lagoon" off Frank Zappa's Live in New York for an amazing example of some PRIMO Brecker jamming.

I never cared much about Michael Brecker either. But Jaco's "Birthday Concert" and that Silver album are two I like nevertheless.

And Wynton cannot lessen the pleasure of Shirley Horn's "You Won't Forget Me".

ubu

Excellent topic.

More will come to me later, but I can think of several examples.

I don't care for George Benson's stuff, but I like him on Freddie Hubbard's CTI recordings like "First Light."

Everyone sounds good on Charles Fambrough's "Proper Angle." Even Wynton whatshisname!

Didn't care for Michael Brecker's stuff as a leader, but he kicks butt on McCoy Tyner, "Infinity."

Didn't like any of Brad Mehldau's solo works, but he's great on Josh Redman's "Mood Swing" and Charles Lloyd's "Water is Wide," and "Hyperion for Higgins."

More later...

I don't think too much of Joshua Redman, but I think he sounds wonderful on Roy Haynes' "Love Letters." I recently got "Black Codes From The Underground" (Wynton's first album on Columbia), and I must say that early Wynton was pretty darn good. He just didn't live up to his promise.