2006 MLB Thread

How big a blockbuster would it be if the Yanks moved A-Rod? They were talking a little bit about this on Mike and Mike In The Morning on ESPN today. There is a growing body of evidence, added to by last night's total fielding and hitting meltdown, that Rodriguez may be going the way of Kenny Rogers, Jose Contreras, Javier Vasquez, dare I say it, Randy Johnson and a number of others in terms of his ability to survive in the crucible that is Yankee Stadium. To be honest, the discussion was more along the lines of how A-Rod's legacy would be affected by a move out of New York, but the idea of a trade did come up. Frankly, I can't see this, but it's still fun to speculate about something this big actually happening.

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How big a blockbuster would it be if the Yanks moved A-Rod? They were talking a little bit about this on Mike and Mike In The Morning on ESPN today. There is a growing body of evidence, added to by last night's total fielding and hitting meltdown, that Rodriguez may be going the way of Kenny Rogers, Jose Contreras, Javier Vasquez, dare I say it, Randy Johnson and a number of others in terms of his ability to survive in the crucible that is Yankee Stadium. To be honest, the discussion was more along the lines of how A-Rod's legacy would be affected by a move out of New York, but the idea of a trade did come up. Frankly, I can't see this, but it's still fun to speculate about something this big actually happening.

Up over and out.

Dave, IMHO, Randy Johnson's problem, besides being old, is that his slider doesn't slide much anymore,(Brad Lidge disease) not the pressure. He beat the Yankees when he was with the Diamondbacks. Imagine where you would be without him right now.

As for A-Rod, he should bitch slap Boros for that albatross of a contract. No matter what he does(Sheffield has choked in the playoffs going back to his Braves days) it won't be enough. Well, a WS ring might do the trick, but little else. Many fans here in Atlanta HATE Chipper Jones just because of his big contract. Chipper has had leg problems for the last few years, and fans get on him for not running full speed down to first. He looks healthy. :rolleyes:

Anyway, I know how talk about teams that aren't the Yankees or Red Sox is boring to many of you, :P so back to A-Rod. I heard talk about the Cubs possibly being interested. Heard Aramis Ramirez as the main return player, and I guess a reliever or 3 and the Yankees paying some of A-Rod's salary. If A-Rod was a short-stop again, and playing for nicer fans(they used to be at least, when I watched a fair number of games, the worst I saw was fans just being silent towards a player struggling)

What's funny is doing a quick check of his stats, A-Rod is hitting 20 points higher than Giambi, and is second on the team with RBI's 8 behind.(On pace for 137 RBI's) Giambi has obviously had more big hits, but if A-Rod was on HGH, who knows what he could do? :P

Don't forget that A-Rod has a full no trade clause, and I seriously doubt that he'd approve a trade to the Cubs. I do think it would be a great move for the Cubs, giving them two excellent players in the infield (with Derrick Lee) and might give them a chance to start building a winner. But there's just no way. A-Rod is a Yankee to stay, and when all is said and done, I doubt that his numbers will look anywhere as "bad" as they do now.

Don't think I mentioned him by name but youngster Jon Lester may have "arrived" today. He goes to 5-0 with eight innings of one hit, shutout ball, and did it while nursing a one run lead for the last three innings. About the only thing you can criticize is that he walked 4 -and maybe that it happened against the Royals. The only thing keeping him from being more impressive has been his overall command - he gets batters out but seems to throw a lot of pitches to do it. That's what was so impressive about tonite, the fact that he went a career high eight innings in 99 pitches. I honestly was hoping Francona would let him try to finish it out and have Papelbon come in if he allowed a baserunner, but with that slim a lead, it was the smart thing to go to Paps.

So the kid is now 5-0 with an ERA of just 2.38. No, he's not Liriano, but its still exciting to see him pitch like this!

Dave, I don't know if the Yanks will pull it out but you can't say that Ponson pitched himself out of a job.

I'll freely admit that I had no idea Buck O'Neill was even still alive. :blink:

At age 94, O'Neil becomes oldest-ever pro baseball player

By DAVE SKRETTA, Associated Press Writer

July 18, 2006

KANSAS CITY, Kan. (AP) -- John Jordan "Buck" O'Neil never got a free pass in life.

The grandson of a man brought to this continent a slave, O'Neil moved to Kansas City to avoid racial persecution in the Deep South. He played baseball during an era of segregation, and earlier this year was denied entry into the National Baseball Hall of Fame by a special 12-member panel.

It figures that on Tuesday night, when the 94-year-old O'Neil stepped into the batter's box during a minor league All-Star game, nobody could quibble over an intentional walk.

Except maybe O'Neil and a few thousand fans.

"I just might take a swing at one," he said before Tuesday night's Northern League All-Star game.

Leading off for the West in the top of the first inning, O'Neil argued with the umpire after the first pitch from Kansas City T-Bones pitcher Jonathan Krysa sailed high and was called a ball. After another high pitch that narrowly missed his head, O'Neil took a called strike before being walked, as planned.

O'Neil ambled to first base, then took a lead off the bag as if he were going to stay in the game before being pulled for a pinch runner.

After the top of the inning, T-Bones owner John Ehlert announced that a trade had been brokered to bring O'Neil to the T-Bones, allowing him to also lead off the bottom of the inning.

In his second at-bat, O'Neil took three balls -- all of them high and greeted with a chorus of boos from the crowd -- before swinging at a pitch and almost spinning off his feet. Possibly lost in the novelty of the inning, the umpire gave him two more balls before sending him down to first base with his second walk of the night.

The T-Bones signed O'Neil to a one-day contract, making him the oldest man ever to play professional baseball. He surpassed 83-year-old Jim Eriotes, who struck out in a minor league game in South Dakota earlier this month, by more than a decade.

"This is special, very special," O'Neil said after his second at-bat. "I've been in baseball 70 years. This is how I made my living. And here I am at 94 with a bat in my hand."

Clad in a red-and-white Kansas City Monarchs jersey, O'Neil said he thought the last time he had swung a bat in a game was in 1955.

Asked if he remembered who he was facing in that last at-bat, he replied: "I don't remember yesterday and you ask me who the pitcher was in 1955?"

Nobody disputes that O'Neil's involvement in the game bordered on a gimmick. But O'Neil's supporters hope it also provides more ammunition in their quest to get him into Cooperstown.

In May, 17 people from the Negro Leagues and pre-Negro Leagues eras were voted into the Baseball Hall of Fame. On a day that was to be his crowning achievement, O'Neil quietly sat at the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum in Kansas City, Mo., and accepted that his name wasn't called.

"It was a roller coaster for everybody except him," said Bob Kendrick, the museum's director of marketing. "Certainly he was disappointed. But he taught us how to handle disappointment. In the scope of things that have happened in his life, not getting into the Hall pales in comparison."

Since the ballot was cast, the T-Bones have become the unofficial champions of Buck O'Neil.

The club has been passing petitions through the stands at all home games, asking commissioner Bud Selig or former commissioner Fay Vincent to intervene. T-Bones officials say they've already collected more than 10,000 signatures.

"The Negro Leagues were the original independent baseball," Ehlert said. "And Buck O'Neil is the patriarch of independent baseball."

Standing in the shade at CommunityAmerica Ballpark, John Park labored Tuesday to gather signatures, already sweating through a white T-shirt that read "Sign the petition. Get Buck in the Hall."

"He's a legend in his own time," said Park, 59, from Kansas City, Kan. "I don't know all of the statistics. I'm just saying how I feel."

Across the stadium, opposite O'Neil's name emblazoned on the outfield wall, Abbey Evert marveled that the sinewy, old right-hander was stepping to the plate on a day when temperatures in Kansas topped 100 degrees.

"It's pretty crazy," said Evert, 17, from Shawnee, Kan. "That's someone who really loves baseball."

But O'Neil dismissed concerns about the heat.

"This is Kansas City weather," he said. "We used to play doubleheaders in this weather with wool uniforms."

A lifetime .288 hitter and two-time Negro League batting champion, O'Neil became Major League Baseball's first black coach with the Chicago Cubs. He went on to discover Hall of Famer Lou Brock and countless others as a scout, and now works tirelessly with Kendrick to keep alive the story of the Negro leagues.

His exclusion from the Hall of Fame caught nearly everybody by surprise. Players including Hank Aaron, Ernie Banks and Brock took aim at the selection process, and Rep. Emanuel Cleaver, D-Kansas City, said the vote had left "a community in tears."

"He should be celebrated in baseball," said Kansas City T-Bones manager "Dirty" Al Gallagher, a former San Francisco Giants pitcher who met O'Neil in the late 1960s. "Why the commissioner hasn't put him in the Hall of Fame, I have no idea."

I'll freely admit that I had no idea Buck O'Neill was even still alive. :blink:

You completely missed the campaign to have him included in the special negro league HoF group?

I am afraid you are going to have to turn in your baseball fan membership card at once.

Look out bitches, the Braves are back!!! I knew it all along! I have always supported this team, always! :w

Even with a manager who seems purely incapable of thinking fast anymore, and a GM more interested in signing copies of his new book, the team has been on fire offensively like few teams ever. In fact, from ESPN....

Adam LaRoche, Chipper Jones and Brian McCann also homered for the Braves, who have scored 65 runs during an offensive explosion that includes two 15-run games. The last time the franchise reached double figures in five straight games was in 1897, when the Braves were called the Beaneaters and they totaled 61 runs.

Chipper Jones was 2-for-4 to extend his hitting streak to 18 games, all but four multihit efforts. He's batting .534 (39-for-73) during the streak with eight homers and 23 RBI.

During their six-game winning streak, they've outscored their opponents 77-32 and they've hit 19 homers in the last five games -- the most for the franchise in a five-game span and only two off the major league record set by the 1977 Boston Red Sox and 1999 Cincinnati Reds.

What's so amazing about the Braves since the break is that they have beaten the piss out of the first place Padres, and the first place Cardinals, who had won 7 in a row. Dan, remember how completely hopeless the Braves where against the Red Sox???

The Braves still have no bullpen, and only one starter (Smoltz) who you can count on....but somehow they are now only 4 games out of the wildcard race! Only the Dodgers and Astro seem like real competition. Now, if only J.S. can find a way to get some bullpen help, and/or there are a few AA pitchers that can win in the majors.

And a couple weeks ago, I was all for trading Smoltz, Andruw Jones, Chipper, everyone to get some prospects and free up salary room...shows how you never can really know this game.

If they can make up 12 games in a couple of months, more power to 'em. The chances of that happening are slim. They're on a tear right now but let's see if they can keep it up. The Phillies rolled off about 10 in a row but then couldn't maintain a constant winning pace.

Although the Braves won't admit it, I don't think they're trying to win the Division, Brad. They'll be plenty happy to make the playoffs the other way. Heck, maybe it will even change their post-season luck to be the wildcard! ;) In the meantime, you Met fans have to hope and pray that you can pull of a deal for a starter or two, and that Pedro comes back strong and manages to stay strong through October.

And the beat goes on in the Bronx, thanks to an unbelievable and stunningly bad call in the ninth. I hope that MF of an ump spent that rain delay looking at the tape, knowing that if he had called it right, as any a-hole with eyes would have, Damon's sac fly would have been out number three, and everyone's heading out for a late dinner instead of waiting for the rain to stop.

What, the Yankees aren't playing well enough, they get the *&#$ umps help too?

:excited::rmad:

The last team I want to see in the playoffs is the Braves, considering the history so I'll be hoping they cool off soon. No argument from me about the starting pitching. I've mentioned Pedro's problem, Glavine's tailing off a little bit and no reliable fourth, let alone fifth starter. I'd like to see what this kid Pelfrey can do although it's too much to expect a lot, even though he's won his first two decisions. Once the hitters find out about him, we'll have to see if he can adjust. Bannister should be back soon so we'll see what he can do. I know they're worried about El Duque's being hammered the last couple of starts. However, when you have a big lead, you have the luxury of getting these things sorted out. All I can say is that the Mets are breathing rarified air. It's not too often, we're in this position so Mets fans need to enjoy while it lasts.

Dan,

I have it on good authority from a close friend that if Posada had been called out, Damon would have shortened up his stroke and settled for a single. The Yanks still would have won, just in a slightly different way. In the long run, then, that call at first base really didn't make any difference. :g

Up over and out.

Hey Big Al

What do you think should be done with that pitcher of yours for getting a bases loaded comebacker and not even glancing at home (or his catcher yelling for the ball) but just calmly turning to first for the "sure out"? :wacko: What a maroon. Should I take the easy out and give up a run or get the force at home and maybe a double play? Whatever happened to what I was taught in little league: Before every pitch, think to yourself what you're going to do if the ball is hit to you?

Finally the Yankee streak is over, and the Sox make it back-to-back 1-0 victories. And according to the Globe there were smiles all around after Wells pitched his simulated game this morning.

The lead is only a scant 1 1/2 but we've got Schill going tomorrow at home while the Yanks have to face the Blue Jays in Toronto, Halladay tomorrow and Burnett on Friday. I kinda like our chances to hang on to first through the wekend - and that's how I'm taking it now, day by day, week by week. :g

Finally the Yankee streak is over, and the Sox make it back-to-back 1-0 victories. And according to the Globe there were smiles all around after Wells pitched his simulated game this morning.

The lead is only a scant 1 1/2 but we've got Schill going tomorrow at home while the Yanks have to face the Blue Jays in Toronto, Halladay tomorrow and Burnett on Friday. I kinda like our chances to hang on to first through the wekend - and that's how I'm taking it now, day by day, week by week. :g

That's the beauty of this game, ain't it? Your team may play so bad over a stretch you think they couldn't beat their AAA team, then they go and beat up everyone in sight. You never know what will happen next. The Mariners or Angels may get Soriano, and win it all.....or not do a thing in land in last place.

Edited by BERIGAN

That's the beauty of this game, ain't it? Your team may play so bad over a stretch you think they couldn't beat their AAA team, then they go and beat up everyone in sight. You never know what will happen next.

Yeah but that was before the news came out following yesterday's win:

Wakefield - stress fractured rib - out 3-4 weeks. The row to hoe just got a lot tougher. I only hope that Theo can ignore the pressure to do something just for the sake of it. Wells isn't far away now, and maybe Clement can return in early August too. Its going to be tough with big question marks in the four and five slots but they don't need to sell off the farm for a short-term solution.

I am not sure what to think about Beckett being extended for three years, plus an option year. On the plus side there's no doubt that he signed cheap. Beckett at three years for 28 mill plus a 2 mill signing bonus (if the option is picked up its 4 years, 40 mil) makes 5/55 for AJ Burnett look incredibly stupid. On the other hand, I really figured they would at minimum see if he can pitch effectively for a full year with no shoulder or blister problems before they'd commit. I think a big part of that decision was the knowledge that there would be alot of money chasing the free agent pitchers this off season, so they save alot of money by getting it done now. I'm also uncertain about his overall effectiveness in the AL. The record is excellent, the ERA not so much. I know that the ERA is largely a function of five or so really awful starts. When he's bad, he's really bad. I'd accept it more though if it would look as though he were learning from the experience. In the NL, he could rely on the heat and blow people away. In the AL, he seems to be too damn stubborn to learn how to mix his pitches. I absolutely hated it when he said a while back "I'm a feel pitcher" as in, if I'm feeling my fastball and not my curve, I'm just gonna throw that fastball all day long. Yeah, and the Yankees kept reversing that fastball and sending it over the wall. The guy's a thrower, not a pitcher. Pitching is the art of throwing the right pitch at the right time to the right place. Its not pounding fastballs in, pitch after pitch. He's got a lot to learn to fully live up to his potential, but overall, I'm glad that the Sox locked him up at a cheap rate. You can bet that there are pitchers and agents who are mighty pissed off at Josh for taking this salary, when he could have gotten more in the off-season, and much more if he'd waited until his free agency.

And meanwhile the Yanks are facing the Blue Jays at just the right time: Hillenbrand has talked his way off the roster, and they've got injuries that have already depleted their offense. I can just see the Yanks taking three of four, but by the time we play Toronto, the offense will be back and they'll smack us around some more. :rmad:

For those among our number who count themselves as fans of the hapless Injuns, I think your team may have just thrown in the towel. They've traded Bob Wickman to the Braves for the 20th best prospect in the Atlanta organization, a 21 year old catcher by the name of Max Ramirez. Max ain't exactly makin' wax though, batting a cool .285 at the Braves Class A Rome affiliate. On the upside, he's dialed "9" nine times in 267 AB's, so he's got a bit 'o power.

Up over and out.

I don't think its any surprise that the Indians are throwing in the towel at this point, with three clearly better teams ahead of them. But this is good news for our friend Conrad. The only problem will be if Atlanta uses Wickman so much, his arm actually falls off. :g

hasn't Wickman been awful this season though? I'm not sure about this trade (although the Braves GM always seems to trade low level minor leaguers who go nowhere for useful players, so you never know). What is annoying about this trade though is that the Braves tried to sign Wickman during the offseason; if he had been with them from Opening Day, maybe they wouldn't have buried themselves in that giant hole they've been in

Greg,

Awful is a relative term. Wickman has 15 saves, so if you're the Braves, he walks on water. Not sure what the Indians are thinking. He is, after all, their closer. Not a Papelbon for sure and he does have fairly expansive ERA, but that's not a role you fill by the simple act of of promoting the the guy in your organization who brings the highest heat. Good deal I think for Atlanta. Probably at least 2-3 years before we'll know how the Indians made out.

On a totally unrelated front, I heard this afternoon that the Padres are making a major play for Adrian Beltre. If I'm Seattle, I do that deal in a heartbeat. Dump some salary, get some prospects and offload a major disappointment all at the same time. What doesn't work about that?

Up over and out.

Edited by Dave James