2006 MLB Thread

See where Dwight Gooden received a year-and-one-day jail term. What a sad waste of talent. :(

TAMPA, Fla. -- Former baseball star Dwight Gooden was sentenced Wednesday to a year and a day in prison for violating probation by using cocaine.

The 41-year-old pitcher was serving three years of probation for speeding away from a police officer during a drunken driving stop. He admitted last month to a probation officer that he had used cocaine.

As part of his probation, Gooden had been ordered to stay away from alcohol, drugs and bars, and to submit to a minimum of three random urine tests a week. He also spent two months in an inpatient treatment facility for alcohol and drug addiction.

Gooden was the 1984 Rookie of the Year and 1985 NL Cy Young winner while with the New York Mets. He went 194-112 with a 3.51 ERA before retiring in 2001. He also pitched for the New York Yankees, Cleveland Indians, Houston Astros and Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

During his playing days, Gooden was suspended for 60 days in 1994 for testing positive for cocaine while with the Mets. He tested positive for cocaine again while on suspension and was sidelined for the 1995 season.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eric Gagne Back Under the Knife

Luckily for Dodger fans, they traded for Danys Baez from the D-Rays so they should be OK, but what does this mean for Gagne's career? Two major surgeries on his pitching elbow practically within a year of each other? You have to wonder whether he'll be the same again.

Well, the Mariners are in first place. Anyone want to eat their words now? Clearly the predictions were wrong. We're having an awesome year. I remember all of the doubters at the beginning of the season. I'll bet you're eating crow now.

Well, the Mariners are in first place. Anyone want to eat their words now? Clearly the predictions were wrong. We're having an awesome year. I remember all of the doubters at the beginning of the season. I'll bet you're eating crow now.

What Troy said. :cool:

Guys, this IS the beginning of the season!

Keep talking. All I hear is The Man trying to keep us down.

The beginning of season was several days ago. You're just not ready to move on and admit that we dominate the league.

The beginning of season was several days ago. You're just not ready to move on and admit that we dominate the league.

...you must have me confused with the other man, I actually think your team may be pretty good........but it's 0.0186% of the way into the new season....I'm not sure you're dominating the league ^_^

...you must have me confused with the other man, I actually think your team may be pretty good........but it's 0.0186% of the way into the new season....I'm not sure you're dominating the league ^_^

I'm quite sure they're not dominating the league. Detroit is unbeaten. The M's have a loss. They're further ahead in winning percentage (.250 ahead) than the M's lead the Red Sox, Blue Jays, O's and Indians (.083 ahead).

it's 0.0186% of the way into the new season....I'm not sure you're dominating the league ^_^

I'm quite sure they're not dominating the league. Detroit is unbeaten. The M's have a loss. They're further ahead in winning percentage (.250 ahead) than the M's lead the Red Sox, Blue Jays, O's and Indians (.083 ahead).

I don't know what you guys are talking about. It's over! We can't be caught at this point. It was a good ride, but we should rest our pitchers and just coast into the playoffs.

Hey, the M's rule!!!!! Let us wollow in the glory of the moment! King Felix wasn't that great last night but he'll improve with more innings.

He handled the Big Hurt quite nicely with 2 on after falling behind 2-0.

Frank sure looks strange in those dark green pjs.

I was playing a gig last night, but the game was on behind the bar. Couldn't really follow, but I saw the A's all congratulating each other at the end and said to Jason; "well, I'm going to catch some shit on Organissmo tomorrow"

I was playing a gig last night, but the game was on behind the bar. Couldn't really follow, but I saw the A's all congratulating each other at the end and said to Jason; "well, I'm going to catch some shit on Organissmo tomorrow"

So, you were watching the game while playing, eh? No wonder you set yourself up on that side of the stage. Now that it's baseball season, am I going to have to switch sides with you?????

:P

So, you were watching the game while playing, eh? No wonder you set yourself up on that side of the stage. Now that it's baseball season, am I going to have to switch sides with you?????

:P

Hey, I said I wasn't really following, just checking for a score now and again. Yikes, who invited my boss onto the forums?

yanks look like shit so far

:tup

:g

I love how its being pointed out that the last time they started 1-4, in '98, they finished with 114 wins.

Top Five Reasons Why That Won't Happen This Year:

1. Unit, Mussina, Chacon, Wang and Wright/Pavano aren't close to the equivalent of Cone/Wells/Pettite/El Duque/Irabu (for comic relief, however, it is unfortunate that Steinbrenner is unlikely to call Wang "Fat Toad").

2. Bernie Williams isn't 29 anymore.

3. Jorge Posada isn't 26 anymore.

4. Team defense: 2005 can't hold a candle to 1998

5. Farnsworth/Sturtze/Myers/Villone aren't even close to Mendoza/Lloyd/Nelson/Stanton.