2006 MLB Thread

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An interesting opening day in the Bronx. No surprise that it ends with a win, and I guess that is what counts. But are Yankee fans glad it took a five spot in the eighth to avoid a loss to those fearsome Royals? The fearsome Royal lineup that outhit the Yanks 12-8? Is the bloom off of Wang yet, with an ERA almost 6 after two starts (Beckett after two starts: 1.29, and in line for the win today)? And can Joe possibly bring Sturtze in again in a competitive situation?

A win is a win is a win, but there are some disconcerting things going on under the surface, methinks.

Edited by Dan Gould

Meanwhile, Willie Mo Pena helped a fly ball reach the bullpen on a drive off of Foulke, and Nixon may have tweaked his groin, so maybe there are some worrisome things at Fenway, too.

But A win is a win is a win, as Papelbon takes ten pitches to close the door in the ninth. 5-3 Sox is your final. :g

Is there anything to be concerned about, Yankee fans, with Unit leaving after five innings and 87 pitches today? I saw a 4-0 score and no hits by the Royals in the third inning and the next time I check, RJ is gone after 5. Not a typical Torre move when the game isn't exactly in hand. Leaves me wondering if Johnson tweaked something and this was precautionary. Guess I gotta watch Sportcenter tonite.

My nominee for intriguing stat of the season (so far)

Last year, the Red Sox went 3-22 in games in which they scored two or fewer runs.

This year, less than two weeks into the season, they are 3-0 in games in which they scored two or fewer runs.

The Mariners are looking a lot better right now. I can't believe how bad Adrain Beltre is hitting though. .500 baseball doesn't look like an impossibility.

the twinkies just came from one run down to defeat mariano!

Kind of a confidence builder for the team when they take the first two games from the Yanks.

Started out 1-5, now 6-5.

If Johan could get back on track, maybe we could do something.

The Mariners are looking a lot better right now. I can't believe how bad Adrain Beltre is hitting though. .500 baseball doesn't look like an impossibility.

the twinkies just came from one run down to defeat mariano!

Kind of a confidence builder for the team when they take the first two games from the Yanks.

Started out 1-5, now 6-5.

If Johan could get back on track, maybe we could do something.

Just do me a favor and beat Wang today, OK? Yanks in last place for at least another day would make an awfully nice Easter present.

;)

In the meantime, my Red Sox are getting killed with injuries. Crisp going down has really hurt the offense (he better be back in 10 days rather than a month); Manny can't even buy an extra base hit; and when Wakefield pitches, the combination of Josh Bard, Alex Gonzales, et. al, at the bottom of the order amounts to a freaking offensive black hole. At least Nixon is supposed to be back by Monday or Tuesday. But now Wells is out, and may very well be done. Personally, I think the team is greatly improved if Wells is out and Papelbon returns to the rotation. But That requires Foulke to get himself fully situated, and we haven't seen that yet. I do think that you're going to see Foulke getting more work, several two inning appearances, if possible, to get him in place to be the closer again. Then you'll know that despite their claims to the contrary ("we're not going to yank Papelbon around") that their long term solution is for Paps in the rotation.

Then it will be look out, American League, because there is no top three that matches Schill, Beckett and Paps. None, and not in the National League either.

:g

It was a great series doncha think? All the games were close. If we could of pulled this one out today I would have said it was a success. I can except losing to Schilling and Beckett in Fenway - but today...that hurts. :eye::eye:

I think the mariners ain't so bad this year though. They got some decent pitching and our line-up is solid. Plus we're one of the youngest teams in the league. The future looks bright.

But that one two in Schilling and Beckett your boys got is awesome! :excited:

Mostly I think you need the hitting to come around, particularly Ichiro and Beltre (not sure if Jurassic Carl has much left, though he hit a homer today) but I'd say the future is looking pretty good.

Imagine what the Sox staff will look like if Foulke can return to closing and Papelbon goes into the rotation - or if Clemens returns - or if the Marlins really are willing to part with D-Train! In the meantime, I'm still worried about the offense, at least until Coco gets back and Manny becomes Manny again.