2006 MLB Thread

Like the projected numbers for Albert Pujols

HR RBI BA

108 216 .354

Oh, baseball prospectus has their list of most valuable players...some weird choices IMHO (Joe Mauer #6???) but still an interesting read. And I am with the writer. If Bonds beats Aaron, I too will be rooting for A-Rod to pass Bonds.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...silver/060418_2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its early, but are there any comments from the Yankee contingent so far? Is Unit starting to scare you? So far you couldn't write a better storyline for how the first two games have gone:

Mirabelli's return; Damon a non-factor; Papi homers off of the Serial Killer you signed specifically to get him out ...

Now Beckett and Gonzales return to the Bronx and bring back some bad memories. Funny how the Sox came up with huge homers into stiff, stiff winds - and Gonzales hits one of them? Truly unbelievable.

Personally I am still concerned about the number 5 starter, but at least Wells is working toward a return. Considering how well Foulke has pitched since getting the knee injections, its not totally out of the realm of possibility for Wells to return and be effective.

But what excites me most is that the hitting is coming around, with Lowell looking to be a major pickup, Pena showing that he is willing to learn and work at his plate discipline, Loretta finally starting to hit. I've gotta be pleased that the offense is coming around and we still don't have Crisp back. Where would the Yanks be if Damon or Sheffield went down for six weeks? Staying highly competitive is a good sign that this team is built to compete all the way into October.

And let's not forget Mr. Papelbon! :g

Its early, but are there any comments from the Yankee contingent so far? Is Unit starting to scare you? So far you couldn't write a better storyline for how the first two games have gone:

Mirabelli's return; Damon a non-factor; Papi homers off of the Serial Killer you signed specifically to get him out ...

Now Beckett and Gonzales return to the Bronx and bring back some bad memories. Funny how the Sox came up with huge homers into stiff, stiff winds - and Gonzales hits one of them? Truly unbelievable.

Personally I am still concerned about the number 5 starter, but at least Wells is working toward a return. Considering how well Foulke has pitched since getting the knee injections, its not totally out of the realm of possibility for Wells to return and be effective.

But what excites me most is that the hitting is coming around, with Lowell looking to be a major pickup, Pena showing that he is willing to learn and work at his plate discipline, Loretta finally starting to hit. I've gotta be pleased that the offense is coming around and we still don't have Crisp back. Where would the Yanks be if Damon or Sheffield went down for six weeks? Staying highly competitive is a good sign that this team is built to compete all the way into October.

And let's not forget Mr. Papelbon! :g

let's not forget those cubbies, losing 8 in a row. havent scored 2 runs in an inning in about 12 games. time for an old style...

But what excites me most is that the hitting is coming around, with Lowell looking to be a major pickup,

Boy I'll say! Sure it's early, but the guy is on pace to hit 86 doubles! The record is 67 by Red Sox Earl Webb in 1931. I love doubles hitters. And the fact he's playing 2nd base for you too is a highly valuable extra (he did a wee bit of that for Florida last year I see. I wasn't aware of that.) Quite the turnaround from last season and the post-trade murmurings.

But what excites me most is that the hitting is coming around, with Lowell looking to be a major pickup,

Boy I'll say! Sure it's early, but the guy is on pace to hit 86 doubles! The record is 67 by Red Sox Earl Webb in 1931. I love doubles hitters. And the fact he's playing 2nd base for you too is a highly valuable extra (he did a wee bit of that for Florida last year I see. I wasn't aware of that.) Quite the turnaround from last season and the post-trade murmurings.

:wacko:

I don't think Lowell has played an inning away from third base. In fact, even as Loretta was slumping horribly, Tito has hardly given the guy a day off and started Alex Cora.

:wacko:

I don't think Lowell has played an inning away from third base. In fact, even as Loretta was slumping horribly, Tito has hardly given the guy a day off and started Alex Cora.

Oops, sorry. I was looking at his stats from Yahoo which are intended for fantasy players. Since he played a few games at 2b last year they list him as a 2b/3b. D'oh! I forgot that they did that, and was thinking that this was a bold Boston move. I looked up his fielding stats for last year and saw that he played a few at 2nd, but forgot to check if he really was playing 2nd some this year. Oh well, he's doubling all over the place!

Edited by Quincy

A-Rod hit the shit out of that curt schilling pitch

Schilling has sucked ever since FranCOMA left him out for 133 pitches in Cleveland in freaking APRIL.

From the Boston Globe:

Schilling was 4-0 with a 1.61 ERA before that April night at Jacobs Field, an evening that signaled the end of the innocence and possibly the excellence.

Including last night, when he left trailing, 6-3, in a 7-3 loss, he is 1-2 with a 6.20 ERA in his last four starts. He allowed 17 hits (two of them homers) in 28 innings through four starts. He's allowed 31 hits (five of them homers, three of those last night) in 24 2/3 innings covering his last four games

:angry::excited::crazy:

If I'm reading my tea leaves correctly, the Yankees are going to need all the offensive firepower they can muster given the shakiness of their pitching. If The Unit can't figure it out and he really is finished, they have major problems. I love what Mussina has been able to do thusfar, but his history isn't anything upon which I'd want to bet the farm. Without a genuine #1 stopper, this is going to be a tough row to hoe. At least the Sox have Josh Beckett. That's why the resolution of the Clemens sweepstakes is going to be so important. I can't imagine anyone who's ever been better positioned to cash in than The Rocket. I mean, things could not have broken better for him if he'd planned it all out himself. I know Houston has already offered him $4 million a month, but that'll probably wind up looking like chump change by the time the Yanks and Red Sox have made their final offers.

Up over and out.

If I'm reading my tea leaves correctly, the Yankees are going to need all the offensive firepower they can muster given the shakiness of their pitching. If The Unit can't figure it out and he really is finished, they have major problems. I love what Mussina has been able to do thusfar, but his history isn't anything upon which I'd want to bet the farm. Without a genuine #1 stopper, this is going to be a tough row to hoe. At least the Sox have Josh Beckett. That's why the resolution of the Clemens sweepstakes is going to be so important. I can't imagine anyone who's ever been better positioned to cash in than The Rocket. I mean, things could not have broken better for him if he'd planned it all out himself. I know Houston has already offered him $4 million a month, but that'll probably wind up looking like chump change by the time the Yanks and Red Sox have made their final offers.

Up over and out.

If we take Clemens at his word, the final rdecisionimately depend on what team looks strongest when he makes his decision, if indeed he wants above all else to "win" once again. So as long as Houston continues to play well, I think the odds grow less and less that he will leave his home, and the comfort of NL lineups, to deal with the AL East. What's really clear is that none of these teams can afford any sort of significant slump or to fall off the pace by more than a few games.

Personally, of course, I am hoping that "completing the circle" will appeal most and he'll come back home to Fenway, but as long as Houston is playing well, I don't think anyone will pry him away. Not even 30 million from King George.

For Fans of the 1975 W.S. (Reds and who? :P ) at 1033 Minutes, it must be most, if not all the Series!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009PLM6...&v=glance&n=130

That is mighty tempting. Strange how appealing it would be to watch 7 games of guys wearing black shoes with polish on them. :lol:

I noticed there's a best of Busch Stadium set too. <Sniff sniff, wipes a tear>

There are all sorts of possibilities with these sets. One featuring the Mustache Gang could be fun.

So do they really use the original broadcasters on these? As in Curt Gowdy for the '75 Series. That's a huge draw. When they use fake announcers on some of the highlight discs I've seen it tends to lessen the experience.