Sonny Rollins solo album

bluesbro

I think one or one and a half stars for this CD is appropriate given the target market of AMG.

No doubt, but I have a real problem with anybody who takes any AMG review as anything other than just one person's opinion, and not necessarily a "fully informed" one at that.

I don't necessarily trust the fuscia hairs to have much of a sense of "historical context", but I sure as hell trust them a lot more than the blue hairs to have a sense of what's happening right now.

What's the midway point on the spectrum between blue and fuscia? That's what color hair I want to be.

The CD version does let you hear the whole thing without a break, for what that's worth. (One of the benefits of the CD is that occasionally we get a full-length performance of material we knew from an LP that was interrupted by a fade, like "Creator Has A Master Plan.")

Would agree with Jim but it's not a concept that I'd buy into. The only solo albums that seem to work are pianos probably for the reasons stated earlier in the thread.

Not an accurate statement. Probably a badly inform one.

I've more than fifty saxophone solo albums - LACY, PARKER (EVAN), BRAXTON, NED ROTHENBERG, JOE GIARDULLO, BRÖTZMANN, LARRY STABBINS, HELMUTt GIES, MICHEL DONEDA, GIANNI GEBBIA, MATS GUSTASSON, DAVE LIEBMAN, JAMES FEI, BRANDON EVANS, SAM RIVERS and so on - and most of them are outstanding.

I've also solo trombone, guitar, bass, trumpet, clarinet, bass clarinet and PIANO albums, all fines in their own way.

Would agree with Jim but it's not a concept that I'd buy into. The only solo albums that seem to work are pianos probably for the reasons stated earlier in the thread.

Not an accurate statement. Probably a badly inform one.

I'll stick up for Brad. The non-piano solo albums I've heard and boring and self-indulgent. I particularly disliked the ones by Lacy.

Well, we're definitely into "matters of personal preference" here, but before anybody dismisses Lacy's solo output out of hand (and count me as among those who find it mesmerizingly brilliant), a listen should be had to Hocus-Pocus

TWI683FR.JPG

Like the Rollins album, it's essentially a "practice album". but the difference is that, whereas Rollins totally free-associates, Lacy plays a set of etudes that he composed to address specific musical/technical issues and then improvises on and off of them. His melodies/themes/motifs/etc are always to the fore (as they always are, imo), and the developement of each etude is really easy to follow.

Seems that Lacy wrote a buttload of these type etudes, but this would appear to be the only recording specifically dedicated to them (if I'm wrong, please let me know). More's the pity.

What else is a pity is that, although it's one of Lacy's most essential albums (imo), it's damn near impossible to find, and was from the git-go. But if you do find it, carpe diem.

You can improvise and still be practicing.

Has to do with the intent, parameters, and direction of the improvising. Are you "working things out" or are you letting it all go and just playing?

And yes, that does mean that a lot of "jazz" (most, actually) is ultimately just so much practicing in one form or another (which is not to say that this practicing does not have a beauty and validity of its own).

The number of people who really play, who truly improvise w/o it being some form of "practicing" are few and far between.

Hope no bubbles are being burst here.

Like Monk says to Teo Macero in "Straight No Chaser" after he finds out they weren't taping while they were playing down a tune in the studio....something to the effect of....

Monk "Let's hear that back"

Teo "We weren't taping. I thought you were practicing."

Monk (pissed) "You practice everytime you touch your instrument."

Well, we're definitely into "matters of personal preference" here, but before anybody dismisses Lacy's solo output out of hand (and count me as among those who find it mesmerizingly brilliant), a listen should be had to Hocus-Pocus

TWI683FR.JPG

Like the Rollins album, it's essentially a "practice album". but the difference is that, whereas Rollins totally free-associates, Lacy plays a set of etudes that he composed to address specific musical/technical issues and then improvises on and off of them. His melodies/themes/motifs/etc are always to the fore (as they always are, imo), and the developement of each etude is really easy to follow.

Seems that Lacy wrote a buttload of these type etudes, but this would appear to be the only recording specifically dedicated to them (if I'm wrong, please let me know). More's the pity.

What else is a pity is that, although it's one of Lacy's most essential albums (imo), it's damn near impossible to find, and was from the git-go. But if you do find it, carpe diem.

Jim - others will know far better, and I don't own it myself, but I believe there's an album on Tzadik called 'Sands' which is comprised of music from book 'S' of the etudes.