Which Coltrane are you enjoying right now?

jazzbo

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

though its pretty well known that the record companies wanted him to tame it down for the official live releases

Where did you hear that?

Probably in some caffeine or tobacco inspired dream. :unsure:

I still think it's the drinking. Look at him. He looks more and more like Thom Yorke with every passing moment. Watch carefully and you might even be able to see his beard grow.

Oooh, I enjoy all his recordings!

I agree with you, Lon, "Crescent" is a superb set. I even use "Bessie's Blues" as my cellphone ringtone - it gets going straight away, so it's perfect for that. (Some ppl pay huge amounts for ringtones - why do that when you can upload your own for nothing?) Gotta be the hippest ringtone, and you ought to see ppl's faces when it goes off.

JS, I love that solo on the George Russell album! Didn't get to hear that until about a year ago. What a marvelous album, with so many top guys on it.

you mustve missed the part where i made blatantly obvious it was a joke

So he didn't down play his avant side? You left off the smile, so we would know. :blink:

uh i dunno. that was the impression i was under. live in japan is the most avantwanky coltrane ive ever heard, so it fit with that theory. but no, i was just trying to laugh my way out of a making a claim i couldnt back up.

i obviously dont think that because somebody on the internet says it its true. i thought the quote came from a wiki article but i couldnt find it. who knows, its not all that important anyway.

Edited by baptizum

Originally recorded for Japanese radio only, later released in Japan on vinyl and later rereleased/remastered in America. This upload is a vinyl rip of the rare Japanese release, which is now out of print.

This collection of two shows is notable because Coltrane was not aware that it was being recorded. He tended to play down the experimental side of his music at the behest of record labels when recording live. Disc 4 is a 57 minute interpretation of Hammerstein's "My Favorite Things"

These sets are Coltrane at his best and most daring. Featuring the quintet of Coltrane, his wife Alice, Pharoah Sanders, Jimmy Garrison and Rashied Ali.

this is what i got. no source though, so who knows

Originally recorded for Japanese radio only, later released in Japan on vinyl and later rereleased/remastered in America. This upload is a vinyl rip of the rare Japanese release, which is now out of print.

This collection of two shows is notable because Coltrane was not aware that it was being recorded. He tended to play down the experimental side of his music at the behest of record labels when recording live. Disc 4 is a 57 minute interpretation of Hammerstein's "My Favorite Things"

These sets are Coltrane at his best and most daring. Featuring the quintet of Coltrane, his wife Alice, Pharoah Sanders, Jimmy Garrison and Rashied Ali.

Listen to everything after A Love Supreme and let us know what you think then.

Thank god you have a free download and not the 4 cd commercial release (4 hours +), with complete notes and remuneration to the Coltrane family.

"no source though, so who knows".

Time to grow up.

Thank god you have a free download and not the 4 cd commercial release (4 hours +), with complete notes and remuneration to the Coltrane family.

"no source though, so who knows".

Time to grow up.

lol my copy is 4+ hours too.

and this vengeance is pretty cute, btw

The "play down" reference could well be to the length of the performances, not the content.

That would make sense, because I don't hear too much other "playing down" in the 2nd Vanguard album, the only post-1965 one that was "officially" recorded/released in Trane's lifetime.

Which also calls the accuracy of the citation into question, because AFAIK, none of the subsequent officially released post-1965 live recordings were recorded by Impulse!

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm going by memory here...