Miles Davis question

Anyone ever hear of the "Miles Davis Radio Project"? My buddy Miles251 played some of it for me.

Danny Glover hosted it, and it featured many interviews with various sidemen. I just heard a bit of it (I think it was fairly lengthy) but thought it was very well done- I'd like to get a copy of it sometime. I'd never heard of it. How long ago was it on the radio? Was it on NPR?

The reason I mention this is because Wayne Shorter did a spot-on impression of Miles speaking. Really funny.

Anyone ever hear of the "Miles Davis Radio Project"? My buddy Miles251 played some of it for me.

Danny Glover hosted it, and it featured many interviews with various sidemen. I just heard a bit of it (I think it was fairly lengthy) but thought it was very well done- I'd like to get a copy of it sometime. I'd never heard of it. How long ago was it on the radio? Was it on NPR.

Somewhere (in some box, lord knows where), I've got the entire Miles Davis Radio Project spread across about 5 or 6 90-minute cassettes. 2nd generation copy, from a buddy of mine who taped it back in the day.

Pretty cool documentary, actually. I think it was 8-hours long, and the last 2 hours was all live material, mostly "unreleased-at-the-time"-kinda stuff, as I recall (mostly from the late 80's and/or early 90's, but maybe two or three cuts from ealier). About 10-12 minutes was Miles leading his then current band in rehearsal, I think.

If I can find and dig out all the tapes, I can loan them to you sometime, Paul. (Finding them all, now THAT'LL be a challenge.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Just wondering about this the other day..........

Are there any recordings of Miles speaking before his voice got trashed?

I don't think I've ever heard his "pre-rasp" voice.

At the end of "Bluing", recorded in 1951, Miles chastises Art Blakey for screwing up the ending.

It is Miles Davis who introduces several tunes ('Good Bait', 'Don't Blame Me', 'Lady Bird' and 'Embraceable You') on the 'Miles Davis/Tadd Dameron Quintet in Paris Festival International de Jazz, May 1949' album from CBS/Columbia. The late record producer Henri Renaud identifies Miles' voice in the liner notes.

At the Miles Davis conference in St. Louis in May 1997 (got to hang with Jackie Mac and Billy Higgins, I sure miss them), they played an interview from before the rasp. No rasp, but he sure was out of it (drugs? temper? arrogance? Who knows).

I agree, Wayne does the best Miles ever.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Danny Glover hosted it, and it featured many interviews with various sidemen. I just heard a bit of it (I think it was fairly lengthy) but thought it was very well done- I'd like to get a copy of it sometime. I'd never heard of it. How long ago was it on the radio? Was it on NPR?

The reason I mention this is because Wayne Shorter did a spot-on impression of Miles speaking. Really funny.

They played some of that at the Museum of Television and Radio here in NY a few years ago. What I remember was Miles telling a story about his father's views on somebody, maybe a local (black) politician:

"Fuck (so-and-so). He's looking to exploit poor black people for a cheap labor base".

Then another politico's name was brought up. Miles said "Again, he said 'fuck him too'" To titters if not out-and-out laughter from the audience. (At least some of the interviews were conducted before live audiences).

Can't find the Miles Davis Radio Project available for download, but it looks like someone has made CD-R copies of the cassettes, and is selling the 9-disc sets here on ebay for $45.

I recorded it on vhs then transferred it to audio tape. I have it in my computer now and can make cdrs if anyone wants them. Unfortunately my original radio reception of the program isn't great.

I have an 8 CD set of the "Miles Davis Radio Project" that I snagged online about a year ago. It is actually a pretty good overview of Miles, with great sound (FM sourced). Shoot me a PM if I can be of help!

Cheers,

Shane

• 5 months later...