Harmonicats, "Selected Favorites"

Alice Coltrane, "World Galaxy"

Alice Coltrane, "Huntington Ashram Monastery"

Milt Jackson, "That's the Way it Is"

Johnny Hodges, "Everybody Loves Johnny Hodges"

Walter Wanderly, "Moondreams"

Keith Jarrett, "Treasure Island"

Coleman Hawkins, "Wrapped Tight"

I'll be grabbing the Sanders, the Shepp and one Coltrane (I have World Galaxy on a beautiful sounding Japanese cd) to have lps I dig on cd! Probably the Hawkins too. .. don't think I have that one.

Release date seems to be 6/6

Edited by jazzbo

Also these. . . .

Various Artists - The House That Trane Built: The Story of Impulse Records - Box Set - Impulse

Albert Ayler - The Impulse Story - Catalog/Reissue - Impulse

Gato Barbieri - The Impulse Story - Catalog/Reissue - Impulse

Alice Coltrane - The Impulse Story - Catalog/Reissue - Impulse

John Coltrane - The Impulse Story - Catalog/Reissue - Impulse

Keith Jarrett - The Impulse Story - Catalog/Reissue - Impulse

Charles Mingus - The Impulse Story - Catalog/Reissue - Impulse

Sonny Rollins - The Impulse Story - Catalog/Reissue - Impulse

Pharoah Sanders - The Impulse Story - Catalog/Reissue - Impulse

Archie Shepp - The Impulse Story - Catalog/Reissue - Impulse

McCoy Tyner - The Impulse Story - Catalog/Reissue - Impulse

:o

Whoopee!!!! Shepp's For Losers is AWESOME! Thanks again to Mr. Sangrey for hipping me to that particular gem. Never heard that Pharoah...but I'll buy it anyway.

It's also nice to see the Milt Jackson on the list and a sonic upgrade to Wrapped Tight will be most welcome.

I wonder if it's a bad omen that the release date is 6/6/06? :crazy:

Since I don't see these listed at any of the usual retail sites, I doubt they are coming on that date. Probably old dates from the very infrequently updated Verve site.

I have the Japanese For Losers and Village of the Pharoahs, neither has terribly good sound and have clearly not been taken from masters. So, even though Village of the Pharoahs isn't terribly good Pharoah, and For Losers isn't exactly on the level of Fire Music, if and when they do appear domestically hopefully they will not simply reuse the Japanese mastering but do a new one.

Edited by robert h.

Strange selections - the four above have been on CD in the US before .....

I don't remember the Coltrane on cd. . . maybe.

Guest akanalog

most of these discs have been reasonably availble for a while.

so i wish they had choses some other albums ("sweet earth flying" for instance")

plus the whole itunes store thing sucks because they dont offer any cover art.

The loonies have really taken over Verve music dept. With all the available material laying there, that's really meager choice.

In the meantime, Lonehill is doing the job that Verve seems to avoid embarking on!

Got their double CD 'Jimmy Cleveland Complete Recordings'. Great reissue.

most of these discs have been reasonably availble for a while.

so i wish they had choses some other albums ("sweet earth flying" for instance")

plus the whole itunes store thing sucks because they dont offer any cover art.

Not really true. You get a great front cover image with purchase. You don't get back covers or any other liner notes or info. In most cases I have been able to find the discographic detail (all I really care about, I don't feel the same way I did about liners years ago).

Bet they remove the bonus material from the previous reissues. :angry:

Yes, they just list the original album, not the material from the second album (under Brown's name) that was on the US reissue.

I wager this is a digital clone of the recent Japanese cd of the Hodges album.

Guest akanalog

i dunno lon...it seemed to me the one time i used this service that the front cover photo was a crappy low-res image.

also they only sell some of the music via the real music store which doesn't service mac yet, so F them all.

i dunno lon...it seemed to me the one time i used this service that the front cover photo was a crappy low-res image.

also they only sell some of the music via the real music store which doesn't service mac yet, so F them all.

I dunno, I've bought about a dozen and teh image printed out for me about as nice as any reissue photo on their cds, so I don't know what to say. I'm certainly not going to say "fuck 'em all." I've gotten items from them I would have had to pay twice as much for as import cds and I'm happy about that. Yeah, the RealPlayer thing is a bummer.

The way I view the Verve Vault program is....at least these titles are AVAILABLE! No outrageous import prices, no $18.99 US retail prices, no getting gouged on Ebay to try and get used copies.

Let's face it, the reason the Verve Vault exists is because they can't justify the profit margin to physically manufacture these discs and sell them in the store. Many record companies are just not bothering to release jazz reissues because of how small the market is. However, by selling them online it allows us the ability to acquire these titles...and it significantly increases their profit margin per reissue. Makes good business sense. Plus the iTunes store is used by so many people...it's also like having free advertising.

So, keep 'em coming, I'd rather have them this way than not at all.

Re: Covers. When you purchase one of these, this is how to get a great quality cover.

1. Play any of the songs so the little album cover shows up in the left hand bottom corner.

2. Click on the image and it blows up to full size (almost fills monitor). Select ALT+Print Screen, paste into a photo editor and trim off the edges.

Strange selections - the four above have been on CD in the US before .....

I don't remember the Coltrane on cd. . . maybe.

You're correct - I thought it was an LPR, but it was a Japanese mini-LP reissue I have.