BFT 37 bonus disc

mikeweil

The bonus disc has 14 tracks - or rather 12 tracks and two bonus tracks - and runs for 77:56 minutes. It starts with a solo piano piece.

This disc is like no other BFT disc before, so please listen with an open mind and see where it takes you. It continues the theme of the main disc, but not everything heard here is "jazz". I'm rather curious about your reactions to much of this music in this context. I will comment later on the programming.

The first bonus track (# 13) is dedicated to Big Al ...

I will provide translations if requested ....

Edited by mikeweil

The most difficult and demanding BFT disc yet, Mike. Certainly "Un Poco Loco" if not more seriously crazy in parts. All I've got to say about 13 is that yes, I would like a translation if someone else also requests (would not like to involve you in too much labour just at my whim!) and that playing it, which I've limited to just once so far, brought my wife in from the adjoining room (never happened before) with an expression not only of bemusement on her face but some concern that my retreat/domain should have become an insane asylum itself, suddenly.

Wallowing as I usually do in the comfort and familiarity of Hank Mobley, Stan Getz, Hank Jones and all the others, this disc is a little like reading fantasy as opposed to (my usual fare) science fiction. I find it difficult to appreciate jazz which uses (too much) echo effect but on this disc, where used, it sounded appropriate. Particularly on 12 I noticed this - very atmospheric and beguiling. Can you do a translation of that one, Mike? Sounds like no language I have ever heard so perhaps this is where the fantasy impression comes from. I can't guess the instruments here (and elsewhere if it comes to that) - inside piano at start? Percussion. Electric bass. Electronics? I can't work up all that much interest in most jazz singing, particularly instrumentalists who give it a go as a break from playing, but this singer sounded techically superior to my unaccustomed ear, exhibiting an ease on the higher notes that impressed me. Something very different and absolutely fascinating.

I have no idea of a theme at this stage. I bet it's something highly obscure and esoteric. I was thinking of something along the lines of instrumentation, number of performers, missing drummers, but all of these too simple and obvious I'm sure.

I will try to comment later and at greater length :D on the other tracks. Easy stages, this one - bitesize.

Certainly "Un Poco Loco" if not more seriously crazy in parts. All I've got to say about 13 is that yes, I would like a translation if someone else also requests (would not like to involve you in too much labour just at my whim!)

I've been laughing listening to this track... but I do not need a translation :cool::crazy:

Is 1 improvised I wonder. I'm not going to be able to guess any tunes or players in any of these tracks. All of the music is special to you you said, Mike, so will have to be careful not to say anything hurtful. Dynamics, impassioned. I'm not familiar enough with this kind of music to say more. Quite liked it.

2 sounds like gamelan from Bali perhaps. Marimba? One of the more jazz-like tracks for me. There must be plenty of jazz-sounding music around that is not in fact improvised at all (the main criterion?) - for instance, the LA Four. I seem to remember hearing that Laurindo Almeida required everything to be written out - one of the participants speaking - although I can't imagine much was written out for Bud Shank. But improvised or not, this is a favourite track, largely because I love the sound but there is also sensitivity, rhythm and the painting of a picture - beautifully succinct.

The first bonus track (# 13) is dedicated to Big Al ...

...which, of course, was the first track I listened to. Actually, I gave the disc the usual scan-thru when I came to this track. My son happened to be in the room at the time and we laughed our asses off! I'm honored, even if I have NO idea who it is!!!! :rofl:

I find it highly interesting that the comments start on the bonus disc, where I took quite a lot of chances, considering the jazz centered tastes of most participants. You'll be surprised when you finally read who/what this all is ...

Let me just say that the theme has nothing to do with instrumentation, although there is a keyboard/mallet subtheme on the second disc.

The most difficult and demanding BFT disc yet, Mike. Certainly "Un Poco Loco" if not more seriously crazy in parts. All I've got to say about 13 is that yes, I would like a translation if someone else also requests (would not like to involve you in too much labour just at my whim!) and that playing it, which I've limited to just once so far, brought my wife in from the adjoining room (never happened before) with an expression not only of bemusement on her face but some concern that my retreat/domain should have become an insane asylum itself, suddenly.

:rofl:

Wallowing as I usually do in the comfort and familiarity of Hank Mobley, Stan Getz, Hank Jones and all the others, this disc is a little like reading fantasy as opposed to (my usual fare) science fiction. I find it difficult to appreciate jazz which uses (too much) echo effect but on this disc, where used, it sounded appropriate. Particularly on 12 I noticed this - very atmospheric and beguiling. Can you do a translation of that one, Mike? Sounds like no language I have ever heard so perhaps this is where the fantasy impression comes from. I can't guess the instruments here (and elsewhere if it comes to that) - inside piano at start? Percussion. Electric bass. Electronics? I can't work up all that much interest in most jazz singing, particularly instrumentalists who give it a go as a break from playing, but this singer sounded techically superior to my unaccustomed ear, exhibiting an ease on the higher notes that impressed me. Something very different and absolutely fascinating.

The singer - I consider her a good friend - will be delighted when she reads this!!!

No way to translate that - the syllables are improvised just as the melodies she sings. The arpeggio sound is indeed the strumming of piano strings. The bass is synthesizer, but except for some ambience effects and light sound processing there are no electronics, just percussion sounds partly played on some weird things.

:rofl:

The singer - I consider her a good friend - will be delighted when she reads this!!!

No way to translate that - the syllables are improvised just as the melodies she sings. The arpeggio sound is indeed the strumming of piano strings. The bass is synthesizer, but except for some ambience effects and light sound processing there are no electronics, just percussion sounds partly played on some weird things.

Hey! Hey! Conveying BFT comments to the artist? Well, if you're sure she will be pleased, even with the caveats (not much interest, unaccustomed ear). Not in the habit of considering that possiblity when dreaming up something to say. :mellow:

Next bite at the cherry!

3 - piano solo - couldn't connect with this one much. Despite your entreaty to hold nothing back, Mike, I doubt that ill-informed criticism can be at all constructive and couldn't think of any even if I wanted to give voice to it. Use of dynamics again sounds good - noticed the end particularly.

4 - alto and piano - sounds 100% scored - no improvisation? What kind of music could this be categorized as? I'm all questions and no answers. Not what I would choose to listen to but nice interplay. Didn't think much of the melody but perhaps it grows on one.

5 - another piano solo - this could have been the start of a pattern but the theme is nothing to do with instrumentation we've been told. Ditto much of comments on 3 I guess.

Hey! Hey! Conveying BFT comments to the artist? Well, if you're sure she will be pleased, even with the caveats (not much interest, unaccustomed ear). Not in the habit of considering that possiblity when dreaming up something to say. :mellow:

This board is public - an artist might do a web search and land here and read your comments. I talked to her on the phone this morning as she is close to where I live on Friday and suggested a meeting (but I'm out of town) and she was delighted.

I thought the bonus disc was very interesting. But I can't say I LIKED very much of it. Here we go.

1 I am not at all well up in classical music, but I thought of Mussorgsky.

2 I started off writing down "marimba", then added an "s", then wrote "3", then wrote "lots". Then I decided it must be a Gamelan orchestra.

3 More classical piano. This one felt like Satie.

4 More classical music. I thought this was very interesting because this is, I think, what classical players think an alto sax SHOULD sound like, if you could stop those jazz musicians from playing them.

5 There's a very familiar feel to this. I got a definite impression of Abdullah Ibrahim here, particularly in the beginning.

6 Vibes and bass - couldn't work out if there were two vibes or one. Gary Burton's name occurred to me, but I've heard almost nothing of his work, so that's as big a shot in the dark as everything else.

7 18th Century harpsichord. Not rhythmic enough to be French, so I guess it's German.

8 I wondered on this if there were two keyboard players or only one, double tracking. I couldn't recognise the language. I liked the bass solo (or was it a cello, as on the theme outro?)

9 This one sounded as if it was based on folk music. I liked the Chrstmas music at the end.

10 I think this was some more classical music.

11 Dunno. I haven't any reactions at all to this one.

12 I liked this. It has a vaguely African feel to it; perhaps Middle East or North Africa.

13 A German version of Spike Jones. Most enjoyable. Or is it Spike Jones pretending to be German?

14 Back again to the harpsichord. Very familiar tune but I couldn't name it in 37.

Thanks for some interesting hours, Mike.

MG

This board is public - an artist might do a web search and land here and read your comments. I talked to her on the phone this morning as she is close to where I live on Friday and suggested a meeting (but I'm out of town) and she was delighted.

Certainly something to bear in mind. I wonder how many prominent musicians do in fact visit, apart from our prominent musician members that is.

6 - ethereal start - tune sounds just a little familiar. I often wonder if the vocal noises are meant to be part of the music, like Slam, or are they entirely spurious? Never mind, the overall effect is intriguing and I've been consumed by the sound of the vibes ever since I had a little dulcimer kind of thing as a kid. Used to spend hours just tapping at it. Best one after 2 for me so far - propulsive.

7 - harpsichord? Delivered with panache.

6 - ethereal start - tune sounds just a little familiar. I often wonder if the vocal noises are meant to be part of the music, like Slam, or are they entirely spurious?

Yes the vocal effects are intentional.

7 - harpsichord? Delivered with panache.

Yes, it's harpsichord.

I thought the bonus disc was very interesting. But I can't say I LIKED very much of it. Here we go.

1 I am not at all well up in classical music, but I thought of Mussorgsky.

Not Mussorgsky. But there is a connection between the musician here and Mussorgsky.

2 I started off writing down "marimba", then added an "s", then wrote "3", then wrote "lots". Then I decided it must be a Gamelan orchestra.

Stick to the marimbas.

3 More classical piano. This one felt like Satie.

Not Satie.

4 More classical music. I thought this was very interesting because this is, I think, what classical players think an alto sax SHOULD sound like, if you could stop those jazz musicians from playing them.

Very nicely said .....

5 There's a very familiar feel to this. I got a definite impression of Abdullah Ibrahim here, particularly in the beginning.

Hah! you'll be surprised when you read who/what this is ...

6 Vibes and bass - couldn't work out if there were two vibes or one. Gary Burton's name occurred to me, but I've heard almost nothing of his work, so that's as big a shot in the dark as everything else.

Just vibes, one musician, no overdubs. If you look at my posts in the vibes/doorbells threads you'll find out I do not like Burton .....

7 18th Century harpsichord. Not rhythmic enough to be French, so I guess it's German.

Wow! Not bad, but it's 17th century.

8 I wondered on this if there were two keyboard players or only one, double tracking. I couldn't recognise the language. I liked the bass solo (or was it a cello, as on the theme outro?)

Only one keyboard (piano), and another different instrument played by the singer, and bass and drums.

9 This one sounded as if it was based on folk music. I liked the Christmas music at the end.

Nothing wrong here ...

13 A German version of Spike Jones. Most enjoyable. Or is it Spike Jones pretending to be German?

Something like that.

Edited by mikeweil

8 - pianist singing? Atmospheric! Language? Can't guess. Some nice effects - very attractive.

9 - Bass player leader? Folk music? Guitar, but what sax? I can't decide if it's alto, tenor, or neither! Seems to have a foot in quite a few camps. Indecipherable mixture.

10. Undecided about the instruments even! This is getting more and more difficult! Cello I think. I thought guitar at first, but is it a harpsichord again? Anyway, that's unimportant. Music feels composed (in two senses) but also improvised. I like this one - complete performance.

BTW, Mike, I only meant to be jocular about telling an artist of a comment here. Should I have used a smilie? It's really quite pleasing to think that a performer would take notice, even if a little scary.

10. Undecided about the instruments even! This is getting more and more difficult! Cello I think. I thought guitar at first, but is it a harpsichord again? Anyway, that's unimportant. Music feels composed (in two senses) but also improvised. I like this one - complete performance.

Neither cello nor harpsichord - I'm really testing your knowledge of ancient instruments ...

BTW, Mike, I only meant to be jocular about telling an artist of a comment here. Should I have used a smilie? It's really quite pleasing to think that a performer would take notice, even if a little scary.

Wait until I mailed her the link to this thread - maybe she joins in.

Who knows, maybe you order a copy from her ....

Neither cello nor harpsichord - I'm really testing your knowledge of ancient instruments ...

Failed the test then! My knowledge of ancient instruments is even worse than my knowledge of modern ones. Celeste? Doesn't sound like it. Don't forget we're not allowed to look anything up.

I'm now on my third listen to 11 at this sitting. Trying to decide what the instruments are still. Accordion? Bass? Cor Anglais (English Horn)? Some kind of stringed instrument. Bass clarinet? Hypnotic stuff - all scored? No more thoughts come to me.

I've already commented on 12 but am listening again now for the fun of it! Might well decide to buy a copy of the album if the artist puts in an appearance here. What a coup if she does, Mike. A first?

Passing quickly by 13, 14 sounds like harpsichord again. Tune I know but can't think of the name. Nice performance.

I'm now on my third listen to 11 at this sitting. Trying to decide what the instruments are still. Accordion? Bass? Cor Anglais (English Horn)? Some kind of stringed instrument. Bass clarinet? Hypnotic stuff - all scored? No more thoughts come to me.

I admit they use a weird mixture, and it's indeed all scored.

Passing quickly by 13, 14 sounds like harpsichord again. Tune I know but can't think of the name. Nice performance.

Not a harpsichord this time.