Time to Boycott Baseball

If my hard earned tax dollars went into building a $160,000,000+ stadium, I might disagree. But then again, who cares?

Brownian Motion! He's gonna boycott baseball because of what one team does.(Don't tell him that Bonds, McGuire, and Sosa are/were chuck full of steroids, it would crush him! :P ) Of course, to win in that thin air, the Rockies would need Jesus on their side....

Actually, my boycott began a long time ago. My interest in baseball peaked around 1969, when the Mets won the World Series, and has been eroding ever since, hastened along by the end of the reserve system, which IMO took most of the fun out of following a team's fortunes. I haven't been to a game since I saw Dwight Gooden, pitching for Lynchburg, mow down my Durham Bulls, and it has been an equally long time since I've been able to sit still for a televised game. :blink:

I find that article a little disturbing and I don't like the idea of these faith days. However, as a Mets fan, I have learned to accept Pedro Martinez, Carlos Delgado and David Wright as my lords and -- god I hope so -- our saviours.

A quick google search answers my own question:

Coors Field, home of the Colorado Rockies team, has turned out to be a great deal for baseball fans like me. But for Colorado taxpayers, it's been lousy.

During the campaign for a taxpayer-subsidized baseball stadium, voters were promised that the stadium would be the best in baseball. And that promise was kept. The stadium is beautiful inside and out. It is a delightful place to watch a ballgame. As a season ticket holder, I love it.

Unfortunately, all the promises made to the taxpayers failed to come true. Voters were promised that the private sector would pay 30 percent of stadium construction costs. Voters said yes. But taxpayers ended up with the entire $156 million cost; the team ownership didn't pay a penny.

Why doesn't God reimburse the taxpayers?

this is one thing I really hate about liberals, even as I see myself becoming more and more of one: animosity towards religion. Wait, strike that. Animosity towards Christianity. The tone of this article is flat out ridiculous. Brownian's claim that such a team would make him boycott baseball, even moreso.

Simply said, there's no need for it. Yes, it's a ridiculous premise. The team's goal should be nothing short of winning. If you win with a bench full of Mickey Mantles, then you do so. As a White Sox fan, I could care less about the personal lives of the team members. Just win. That's all I ask.

However, to call Christianity offensive IS offensive. Does Christianity call for a very specific way to live one's life? Absolutely. But, so does every other major religion. Judaism, Islam, (real) Buddhism, Hinduism, all of these expect its adherents to live life in a certain way. So, when I see this...

Is it Christian bashing to want freedom from religion? Listen, I have no problem with people worshiping anyway they choose. As long as it is on their dime and in their space. In Seattle the people voted down the stadium twice, only to have the city council override them and it was built (with tax payer money) anyway. I'm a baseball fan and I wanted the stadium so you didn't see me out in the street protesting about it, but for a multi-billion dollar industry to bilk billions from the tax payers, then turn the stadiums into quasi-mega-churches is just plain wrong. You think if a team was signing only Jewish players and having siddur guided prayer services in the outfield after games the same "Christians" would be defending this? Of course they wouldn't. It's a bully tactic because Christians make up the majority in this country. Then they want to turn around and play victim. Gimme a break! Please keep religion (and politics for that matter) out of baseball. It's the only place left where people of all faiths, political persuasions, or sexual orientations can come together and just be Americans. We're losing all the things that used to unite us in this country and it's because of the pigheaded bully tactics taken on by the dominant white Anglo-Saxon Christians who run everything and the mendacious politicians who exploit people's ignorance for political gain.

That said, it's gonna take a lot more than a few prayer meetings in the Braves outfield or a few Rocky Mountain dumb shits for me to boycott baseball. I'd go coo-coo bananas without it.

Go M's!!!!

Edited by Johnny E

Please keep religion (and politics for that matter) out of baseball. It's the only place left where people of all faiths, political persuasions, or sexual orientations can come together and just be Americans.

How is this different than "Please keep religion (and politics for that matter) off of jazz bulletin boards. It's the only place left where people of all faiths, political persuasions, or sexual orientations can come together and just enjoy jazz talk."

You do realize the irony involved when it's you of all people asking to keep politics out of something that isn't inherently political...

:cool::P

Edited by Aggie87

Please keep religion (and politics for that matter) out of baseball. It's the only place left where people of all faiths, political persuasions, or sexual orientations can come together and just be Americans.

How is this different than "Please keep religion (and politics for that matter) off of jazz bulletin boards. It's the only place left where people of all faiths, political persuasions, or sexual orientations can come together and just enjoy jazz talk."

:cool::P

There is a way to set the board up so you don't even know the politics section exists. Besides, a politics section was part of the Bluenote Board of which many of the original Organissimo members migrated. :mellow:

That wasn't really the point I was getting at, but that's cool. I read some of the political threads and make the occasional post there.

Just surprised me to see that comment coming from you.

Then what was your point? And I don't mean that in a confrontational way. If explaining how your analogy is a false one misses the point, than do tell.

And why were you surprised? I'm always trying to find ways to bring people together. I'm a lover not a fighter. :g

88% of your posts on a jazz bulletin board are in the political forum.

I found it funny that you were pleading to keep politics out of one thing, when at the same time gratuitously inserting it into another.

edit - i'm not trying to be confrontational either. Just an observation, one I found humor in.

Edited by Aggie87

I found it funny that you were pleading to keep politics out of one thing, when at the same time gratuitously inserting it into another.

edit - i'm not trying to be confrontational either. Just an observation, one I found humor in.

As I said, politics has been part of this board from the very beginning. And for those who don't like it they can simply block it out. How does that equate to ballclubs (that play on publically funded ballfields) hiring only Christians and using the field for prayer meetings or a desire on my part to keep religion and politics out of the game of baseball?

I'm glad you found it to be funny, but again, it's simply a false analogy.

this is one thing I really hate about liberals, even as I see myself becoming more and more of one: animosity towards religion. Wait, strike that. Animosity towards Christianity. The tone of this article is flat out ridiculous. Brownian's claim that such a team would make him boycott baseball, even moreso.

Simply said, there's no need for it. Yes, it's a ridiculous premise. The team's goal should be nothing short of winning. If you win with a bench full of Mickey Mantles, then you do so. As a White Sox fan, I could care less about the personal lives of the team members. Just win. That's all I ask.

However, to call Christianity offensive IS offensive. Does Christianity call for a very specific way to live one's life? Absolutely. But, so does every other major religion. Judaism, Islam, (real) Buddhism, Hinduism, all of these expect its adherents to live life in a certain way. So, when I see this...

Is it Christian bashing to want freedom from religion? Listen, I have no problem with people worshiping anyway they choose. As long as it is on their dime and in their space. In Seattle the people voted down the stadium twice, only to have the city council override them and it was built (with tax payer money) anyway. I'm a baseball fan and I wanted the stadium so you didn't see me out in the street protesting about it, but for a multi-billion dollar industry to bilk billions from the tax payers, then turn the stadiums into quasi-mega-churches is just plain wrong. You think if a team was signing only Jewish players and having siddur guided prayer services in the outfield after games the same "Christians" would be defending this? Of course they wouldn't. It's a bully tactic because Christians make up the majority in this country. Then they want to turn around and play victim. Gimme a break! Please keep religion (and politics for that matter) out of baseball. It's the only place left where people of all faiths, political persuasions, or sexual orientations can come together and just be Americans. We're losing all the things that used to unite us in this country and it's because of the pigheaded bully tactics taken on by the dominant white Anglo-Saxon Christians who run everything and the mendacious politicians who exploit people's ignorance for political gain.

That said, it's gonna take a lot more than a few prayer meetings in the Braves outfield or a few Rocky Mountain dumb shits for me to boycott baseball. I'd go coo-coo bananas without it.

Go M's!!!!

This Christian liberal says, "Amen, brother!" :tup

Too bad Bill Veeck's not still around to stage "Pagan Night" or some such. :D

The Rockies business reminds me of the kind of crap you used to get from the Cowboys in football (no offense, Texas board members) that they were "God's football team." While I was never a fan of Bobby Knight, he did say something on the mark once, when Steve Alford was leading team prayers before games and asking for victory: "Steve, there may or may not be a God, but if there is, I can assure you He doesn't give a damn about IU basketball."

Edited by ghost of miles

:rofl::tup

It's a bully tactic because Christians make up the majority in this country.

Don't know that I'd entirely agree with that, although I see your point. I think that the majority in this country is religious, but that sure don't make them Christian by any stretch. Oh, they may call themselves "Christian"--and as a result, real Christians get blamed for the actions of the posers--but I'm reminded of the (paraphrased) words of Jesus when he spoke about folks like this "They'll say to me, 'Lord, Lord,' and I'll say, 'Go away; I never knew you. Where were you when the poor looked to you for help? When the homeless looked to you for shelter?"

In other words, I agree with you in spirit, if not in technicalities. :g

And I guess I'd doubt the existence of God if I was a Mariners fan as well. :P

GO RANGERS!!!