Jackie McLean

Tom 1960

B000B66PQQ.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpgI recently have been beefing up my Jackie Mclean collection and came across this album. I read some positive reviews FWIW on Amazon and a favorable writeup on AMG. What say McLean devotees, is this one a keeper? It's been said Lee Morgan steals the show? I'm a huge Morgan fan. Thanks.

Blue Note jumbled up the typewritten pages of the notes I wrote for the LP issue of this back in 1979, and apparently the CD retains the original incoherent jumble. This came up here a ways back, and I explained how to un-jumble things; if that post can't be found and anyone cares, I'll try again.

B000B66PQQ.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpgI recently have been beefing up my Jackie Mclean collection and came across this album. I read some positive reviews FWIW on Amazon and a favorable writeup on AMG. What say McLean devotees, is this one a keeper? It's been said Lee Morgan steals the show? I'm a huge Morgan fan. Thanks.

It's one of my least favorite McLean Blue Notes. It's fairly straight ahead and not as avant as Jackie's other Blue Notes of the time which is apparently why it wasn't released. That being said, it is a fine recording, there are just half a dozen or more other McLean's I'd buy first.

Guest youmustbe

Not mind boggling, but terrific! I always liked it ever since I got the vinyl when it first came out. So Jackie was doing other Stuff live...I was there, heard it, but what's wrong with just laying back and playing with Lee?

I went to see Jackie's grave right after the funeral. Right across, looking up Miles' ass is Miles' grave. Duke is accross from Miles, as it should be, but right there, and to the left is Illinois Jacquet's grave with a rather tasteless, (how appropriate) headstone. Miles' headstone, "Sir Miles Davis' is rather middle class. The one that got to me is the maseleum, a small one to Celia Cruz. Beautifull! With photos of her, as a young woman, as a star, getting a Grammy, some of her cds, the bio of her, and a place for her husband. That's the way it should be.

BTW at Woodlawn, when you walk in, there is a map of the graves, and #1 on the map is Miles' grave!

I go there once every other month to pay my respects. All of you who live in or near NY should do the same, or are you so afraid of your own demise? After all, you can always whistle as you walk past the graves!

(Jackie's doesn't have a headstone, and won't 'til next year.)

(King Oliver is there too but in another section)

It's one of my least favorite McLean Blue Notes. It's fairly straight ahead and not as avant as Jackie's other Blue Notes of the time which is apparently why it wasn't released. That being said, it is a fine recording, there are just half a dozen or more other McLean's I'd buy first.

Yeah, that's about my take on Consequence, too. I like Jacknife quite a bit, though. You can't go too wrong with any of Jackie's BNs that I've heard, but Consequnce just doesn't really hold my attention.

Guest youmustbe

Bluesnik is rather boring. It's not really Jackie's record, but the HUB's. But Jackie plays great on it, as he almost always did until 67 or so when the 'New Thing' steered him off course. He recovered by basically pulling back. The thing about Jackie, he never allowed himself to be a disgrace like Hub now, or Dizzy in his late years. Granted they played the trumpet, a difficult instrument when you get old, especially when you were known for blazing like Hub. (When I booked Miles in 91, he could hardly play at all at 65, even with the mic on the trumpet.) But even Monk, couldn't do anything past 68 or so, and McCoy hasn't played anything, so sad, for ages. That's why I respect Jackie so much.

Title-track of Bluesnik has one of McLean's best solos bar none. The rest of the album's fine, though not on that level, & anything with Doug Watkins + Pete LaRoca has a lot going for it.

PS as I think I mentioned elsewhere, Hubbard quotes from a Blues and the Abstract Truth tune at one point ("Cascades"). The album was recorded before BATAT, though.

Blue Note jumbled up the typewritten pages of the notes I wrote for the LP issue of this back in 1979, and apparently the CD retains the original incoherent jumble. This came up here a ways back, and I explained how to un-jumble things; if that post can't be found and anyone cares, I'll try again.

My Mosiac set containing the material from this session includes an additional track, "My Old Flame" (5:16). Apparently this is NOT on the reissued CD. Is this correct? And if so, why was this left off?

My Mosiac set containing the material from this session includes an additional track, "My Old Flame" (5:16). Apparently this is NOT on the reissued CD. Is this correct? And if so, why was this left off?

My Old Flame was on the original lp and is on the new cd.

My Old Flame was on the original lp and is on the new cd.

Thanks, Chuck. I was going by the track listing on Amazon.com ... they do not show this track. Now .. the next question, owning the Mosaic material, should I bother getting this RVG edition? I have never found that much difference in remastering quality between RVG's and Mosaic ... but then I can no longer hear dog whistles either.

CORRECTION: I see now that it is on the Amazon track list; I was just reading the titles in a different order to that in the Mosaic discography .. sorry bout that! I need another cup of coffee!

Edited by garthsj

Bluesnik is rather boring. It's not really Jackie's record, but the HUB's. But Jackie plays great on it, as he almost always did until 67 or so when the 'New Thing' steered him off course. He recovered by basically pulling back. The thing about Jackie, he never allowed himself to be a disgrace like Hub now, or Dizzy in his late years. Granted they played the trumpet, a difficult instrument when you get old, especially when you were known for blazing like Hub. (When I booked Miles in 91, he could hardly play at all at 65, even with the mic on the trumpet.) But even Monk, couldn't do anything past 68 or so, and McCoy hasn't played anything, so sad, for ages. That's why I respect Jackie so much.

You're blaming the 'New Thing' for Jackie's post-67 work? Can you name some post 67 titles where this is evident? Jackie's respect for the avant garde produced his best work on his 60s Blue Notes. If you want to "blame" the 'New Thing' for something, blame it for Let Freedom Ring, Destination Out, and One Step Beyond. Jackie does have one blip on his radar, Monuments, his disco album from 1979.

I was going by the track listing on Amazon.com ... they do not show this track. Now .. the next question, owning the Mosaic material, should I bother getting this RVG edition? I have never found that much difference in remastering quality between RVG's and Mosaic ... but then I can no longer hear dog whistles either.

This new version is a "Connoisseur" not an RVG. I would sit tight with your Mosaic version in this case. If it were an RVG, I'd buy it myself.