Lou Donaldson - Here 'tis

Kyo

BABY-FACES SOLO ON TITLE TRACK ON HERE TIS IS FILITY DIRTY. IT IS THE FILITHIEST ORGAN SOLO RUDY VON SHMOODIE EVER RECORDED. AND JUST SO YOU KNOW, ON THE COVER, LOUS HANDING THE GUY A --SANDWICH--

Wow Chewy I always thought it was a free ticket to the gig that was about to go down, or something. I missed out on this on Cd. It was one of the first Blue Note LPs I ever bought...a loooong time ago. A French parthe re-issue if I'm not mistaken. Can't wait to revisit this on remastered cd. Cool!!!!!!!!

I ordered this from Early Records on Friday. Should be good. This will complete my Lou Donaldson small group recordings from the 50s until 1970. Once all those other orders I placed last week arrive, that is - including the Mosaic set. :D

Dunno what this 1500 is - Yen?

I got a JRVG version of this (TOCJ-9198) in March 2001 - some kind of a special offer my importer had from some Japanese exporter, so I didn't fall over when he told me the price. Is the new 1500 a reissue of that?

I don't have any problem with the sound of my copy - but if you trust my ears, you'll buy anything.

MG

I got a JRVG version of this (TOCJ-9198) in March 2001 - some kind of a special offer my importer had from some Japanese exporter, so I didn't fall over when he told me the price. Is the new 1500 a reissue of that?

I don't have any problem with the sound of my copy - but if you trust my ears, you'll buy anything.

MG

MG,

The 1500 series is the latest (2005) TOJC BN reissues in 24 bit remaster, and yes they cost 1500 yen. They are actually considerably cheaper than the previous versions.

I know this topic of comparing sound on the various BNs has been done to death, but I have quite a few of these and they sound VG to me though I do like a "bright" sound which may not suit others.

MG

MG,

The 1500 series is the latest (2005) TOJC BN reissues in 24 bit remaster, and yes they cost 1500 yen. They are actually considerably cheaper than the previous versions.

The 2005 date is not correct, Toshiba released the first batches of TOCJ24s (as they were coined on this board) in 2004.

I know this topic of comparing sound on the various BNs has been done to death, but I have quite a few of these and they sound VG to me though I do like a "bright" sound which may not suit others.

I picked up dozens of these TOCJ24s, only to find out (after a few listening sessions) that I hated the sound, it's bright as you say and LOUD. Not my cup of tea. I sold most of them, though I still have a few in my "get rid of" pile.

MG,

The 2005 date is not correct, Toshiba released the first batches of TOCJ24s (as they were coined on this board) in 2004.

MG,

That can't be right. My copy of "Here 'tis" is definitely a JRVJ 24 bit. Here's a scan of the back of the insert to it, and to "Lightfoot" in the next post. You'll see that the whole of the TOCJ9100 - 9251 series were JRVG24s. And they came out between and Jul 1999 and Nov 2000.

I think perhaps they didn't sell too well - I picked up a good few in early 2001 (together with a bunch of Universal Victors Soul Jazz series, which also must have been going cheap). I don't know what prices I was paying, but I would never have been able to buy 26 Japanese CDs in such a short period if they were coming in at the usual price of Japanese releases.

MG

MG,

Bluesman and I were talking about the 1500 yen 24-bit remastered non-JRVG Blue Note series, with catalogue numbers TOCJ-6XXX. Toshiba released several batches of these "TOCJ24s" in 2004-2006. Please note that these were remastered by Japanese Toshiba engineers, NOT by RVG!

You are referring to the JRVG series, which are totally different.

MG,

That can't be right. My copy of "Here 'tis" is definitely a JRVJ 24 bit. Here's a scan of the back of the insert to it, and to "Lightfoot" in the next post. You'll see that the whole of the TOCJ9100 - 9251 series were JRVG24s. And they came out between and Jul 1999 and Nov 2000.

I think perhaps they didn't sell too well - I picked up a good few in early 2001 (together with a bunch of Universal Victors Soul Jazz series, which also must have been going cheap). I don't know what prices I was paying, but I would never have been able to buy 26 Japanese CDs in such a short period if they were coming in at the usual price of Japanese releases.

MG

MG,

Bluesman and I were talking about the 1500 yen 24-bit remastered non-JRVG Blue Note series, with catalogue numbers TOCJ-6XXX. Toshiba released several batches of these "TOCJ24s" in 2004-2006. Please note that these were remastered by Japanese Toshiba engineers, NOT by RVG!

You are referring to the JRVG series, which are totally different.

O

:o

MG

The replies in my JRVG thread made me a bit nervous, can someone comment on the sound quality of the 1500 Yen reissue of Lou Donaldson - Here 'tis?

Thanks! :)

I bought a copy of here 'tis for 17$ from Mundo in Japan and it sounds OK, except for a light distortion in the bass region of the keyboard on track 5.It is difficult to tell whether this is an input overload or the sound that actually came out of the Leslie...I'm rather inclined for the latter.

One slight problem is the program order as it appears when played from media Player differs from the booklet order.

Book : Foggy day-Here 'tis -Cool blues-Watusi jump-Walk with me

Media player : here 'tis- Watusi jump-Walk with me-A foggy day-Cool blues

Otherwise, general sound is very good.My copy bears catalog number TOCJ-6553

The replies in my JRVG thread made me a bit nervous, can someone comment on the sound quality of the 1500 Yen reissue of Lou Donaldson - Here 'tis?

Thanks! :)

I bought a copy of here 'tis for 17$ from Mundo in Japan and it sounds OK, except for a light distortion in the bass region of the keyboard on track 5.It is difficult to tell whether this is an input overload or the sound that actually came out of the Leslie...I'm rather inclined for the latter.

One slight problem is the program order as it appears when played from media Player differs from the booklet order.

For the record: the TOCJ-6553 is indeed a 1500 yen "TOCJ24" remaster and not a JRVG.

Edited by J.A.W.

Thanks. Media Player uses a database created by people who can make mistakes like everyone else, so I don't worry about that discrepancy too much.