Saxophone Collossus, new RVG version.........

Cliff Englewood

Claude,

Thanks for the information - good to see I'm not the only one who this affects. I was worried someone would tell me it's something I could fix in iTunes itself, and then I would have to confess my technical ignorance. It took me long enough to figure out how to get rid of that &%$*&^% crossfade thing.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The iPod problem would not exist if the player allowed for gapless playback, i.e. two subsequent tracks are played without interuption, like on a regular CD player. Then you won't notice the badly placed track markers. People have been requesting gapless playback on the iPod for some time already (I don't know the current status of this)

http://www.petitiononline.com/13421509/petition.html

Advanced users can also burn a CD-R from the disc, with corrected track markers.

Isn't the problem inherent in the MP3 format?

No, it also exists with uncompressed wav files that some portable players can play. The problem is that when a CD is ripped (to any format), it is divided into different files, one for every CD track. The player plays back a track, and before it can play the next one, the track has to be loaded into memory from the hard drive, which takes a second, creating a moment of silence. This is annoying on opera recordings or live albums where a continuous recording is (inaudibly) divided into tracks. As Bertrand wrote, the problem does not exist when a CD is ripped as one continous track.

There are portable players that manage to play the tracks without any interruption, like a CD player (gapless playback)

Edited by Claude

Don't the MP3 players that avoid this bump do it by some kind of crossfading between tracks? And this crossfading usually loses something at the end or beginning while smashing them together unnaturaly, in my limited experience.

Whenever I burn straight cds of MP3 files (or AAC-m4a) I still get this bump, whereas Flac, Ape or Wav burned to cd maintain the smooth transition between tracks (as long as you make sure that 2 sec. gap isn't inserted when it's not needed).