Anne-Sophie Mutter and André Previn Quietly End Their Marriage

Claude

Anne-Sophie Mutter and André Previn Quietly End Their Marriage

By Matthew Westphal

21 Aug 2006

Mutter-Previn150.jpg

André Previn (left) and Anne-Sophie Mutter

photo by Deutsche Grammophon

Anne-Sophie Mutter, at 43 one of the world's most celebrated violinists, and renowned composer and conductor André Previn, 77, have quietly ended their four-year marriage, according to reports from the London Mail on Sunday and United Press International.

Sources quoted in the reports indicated that the reason the marriage ran into trouble was that the aging Previn was unable to keep up with the extremely busy and peripatetic schedule that Mutter, as one of the most in-demand instrumental soloists on the scene, maintains. While Previn just completed a term as music director of the Oslo Philharmonic and maintains relationships with the London Symphony and Munich Philharmonic Orchestras, he travels far less than he once did and reportedly now concentrates on composing.

Previn was married four times previously, most famously to actress Mia Farrow. Mutter had been married once before, to attorney Detlef Wundelich (also nearly three decades her senior), who died in 1995.

When Previn and Mutter married in 2002, the match was widely publicized as being creative as well as romantic. He wrote several works for her, including a violin concerto which they toured widely together and whose DG recording won a Grammy Award in 2005.

When asked, in 2002, by David Patrick Stearns of The Philadelphia Inquirer whether being married to the composer of a concerto allowed special insights, Mutter replied, "The musician's compositions and private personality have little to do with each other. I don't think I would play the Beethoven Violin Concerto any different if he were my husband."

Previn chimed in, "Married to Beethoven? I can't cope with that thought!"

http://www.playbillarts.com/news/article/5088.html