Sports: NBA 2006-2007

Dallas has now won 66 games.

Since the NBA went to an 82 game season, 9 out of the 10 teams who won at least 65 games* in the regular season have gone on to win the NBA finals. (What happened to the '73 Celtics?)

In other words, losing this year would be an even more monumental choke-job than losing to the Heat last year.

Guy

*But "only" 9 out of the 13 who won at least 64.

edit: The '73 Celtics lost after John Havlicek broke his arm.

Edited by Guy

• Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As Per MVP

W/O Kobe the lakers would have about 10-15 wins

Has anyone done a statistical analysis of how many wins Kobe has contributed to the Lakers over the past few seasons? I think that would be interesting.

You have to wonder how good the Lakers would be if Kobe was a better team player...

Guy

When Kobe plays within the offense he is a fine team player. The trouble is, the guys he passes to don't make wide-open shots. When the team starts to struggle, as its leader he must take and make shots, and usually he has to create them for himself. When the Lakers had a balanced team during the Shaq years, Kobe played within the system and was an exemplory team player en route to three championships. The only time with Shaq in which he didn't play well as a team player was during the Finals against Detroit, when they were refusing to pass to each other.

When Kobe plays within the offense he is a fine team player. The trouble is, the guys he passes to don't make wide-open shots. When the team starts to struggle, as its leader he must take and make shots, and usually he has to create them for himself. When the Lakers had a balanced team during the Shaq years, Kobe played within the system and was an exemplory team player en route to three championships. The only time with Shaq in which he didn't play well as a team player was during the Finals against Detroit, when they were refusing to pass to each other.

I agree. It's difficult to be a team player when the guys around you aren't holding up their end.

I'll confess to not being a Kobe fan, but the guy needs to be considered. He's playing with Lamar Odom (when he is healthy) and a bunch of guys in witness protection. Smush Parker? Please. I dare Nash or Nowitski to make that guy a better player. And are we sure that Luke Walton is as good as he is if we transport him to say, the Hawks? Maybe Luke has the force after all, but I don't think it is a stretch to believe that KB contributes to LW success. And by KB, be clear that I'm not referring here to the great Kwame Brown...

Luke is the Lakers' third best player, and easily the best passer on the team. He makes everyone better.

Luke starting isn't the problem. He's the type of fundamentally sound guy like Battier who could start or be the 6th/7th man, depending on what you have elsewhere & rotation. The problem spots for the Lakers are Smush should be a backup PG, and their current Cs would be better as 2nd & 3rd centers and ongoing projects, not starters. A better PG & C are pretty big spots to fill!

John Hollinger has a good plan for reducing late-season tanking by crappy teams:

What I'm proposing instead is what I call the "March 15 rule." Here's the deal: The draft order and the status of lottery-protected draft picks will remain unchanged for those teams that make the playoffs.

BUT, the lottery Ping-Pong balls for the 14 teams that don't make the playoffs will be determined by the standings as of March 15. So will the status of their lottery-protected draft picks.

In other words, the Wolves can't start tanking games in April to keep their top-10 protected pick away from the Clippers. They'll have to do it in early March, when they are still fighting for a playoff spot, making it a much more difficult proposition. So basically, they'd only keep the pick if they were actually one of the 10 worst teams. What a concept!

There are some side benefits to be had as well. For instance, the March 15 rule wouldn't punish bad teams that keep playing hard at the end of the season (Philadelphia, Charlotte) and find themselves hurtling past all their tanking brethren. Those two clubs will pick after the Wolves and Sonics in June, which just seems horribly, horribly wrong.

$&%*!!! The W's win an ugly game against the Mavs' scrubs, but the Clips steal a game against the lethargic Suns. W's gotta win tomorrow against the Blazers (or pray for a Clips loss). Though if they lose against the Blazers minus Aldridge, Roy and Randolph, they deserve the lottery. :ph34r:

Guy

$&%*!!! The W's win an ugly game against the Mavs' scrubs, but the Clips steal a game against the lethargic Suns. W's gotta win tomorrow against the Blazers (or pray for a Clips loss). Though if they lose against the Blazers minus Aldridge, Roy and Randolph, they deserve the lottery. :ph34r:

Guy

Damn. I was counting on the Suns to take care of business at home tonight. I heard the Blazers are having a big fanfest and celebration of the anniversary of the Ramsay/Walton/Lucas/etc championship... plus it's the last game of the season. The W's are going to have to be ready and focused. The Clips should win at home.

I know Avery is just looking to give himself the best chance to win their first playoff game, but the W's/Mavs was a joke. I mean, it was over before they completed the first quarter. I can see resting your starters, but having almost all of them come out in street clothes? They might as well have forfeited. They could have done like Phoenix where the Suns waited until the latter part of the game to take out their big guns in that last matchup with the W's. Tonight was a dull game, and I"m not keen on the charity factor- especially when they haven't beaten us this year. I'm sure the Clippers aren't too thrilled about it either. ^_^

If the W's do take the Blazers, and the Lakers lose to the Kings tomorrow, we get Phoenix in the first round... I still would rather play Dallas (no disrespect, just a matchup thing).

gotta love the NBA

teams 20 games out of first place scramblin' for a play-off spot

my new rules

no sub .500 and 20 games out teams allowed in post season

Uh... this has been going on for a long time. :blink:

Though they probably should limit the eastern conference to 3 or 4 teams a year. :P

Guy

Edited by Guy

What I love most about the end of the year is when everything is wrapped up and the young kids get to play some minutes. A few noteworthy examples.

Amir Johnson - Detroit. This kid can flat out play. He tore through the NBDL the last few years, he had a 12/10 and 6 block performance the other night, and then dropped 20-14 and 5 blocks tonight. Him and Maxiell should both peak as Sheed, Dyess and Webber finally flame out. I dont think either will be All-Star, but both will be VERY solid players, with Amir having an outside chance at stardom.

Willie Green - Philly. Missed almost all of last season with a knee injury, but he has managed some nice minutes this year. Now with some playing time he had 26, 24, and 39(!) point games to end the season.

Chicago plays Miami in the first round, I really like their chances of taking out the Heat, which lines up a Big Ben vs the Pistons 2nd round.