Bernie McGann Anyone?

chitownjazz

I've searched the threads and found Bernie's name mentioned, but it looks like it's high time he's got his own thread as he will turn 70 next year according to his Wikipedia entry. He's a fine and distinctive Australian altoist who's sometimes been compared to Ornette, but that comparison's way off the mark as far as I'm concerned. He does have free-boppish overtones to his playing, but he's not as hard-edged or free as prime Ornette. Many of his records have been put out on the Rufus records label (Rufus Records) and a couple were reissued in the U.S. and are available used for next to nothing on Amazon. I'm two CDs behind on him - Live at Side On and Blues for Pablo Too. Anyone heard these two or know of a good outlet for them in the U.S.?

A wonderful homegrown player. Don't know the two newer discs. I agree about the alleged Ornette resemblance being deceiving -- I think McGann esssentially made himself, though bits of Rollins and Jackie McLean must have been present at or near the conception. He feels his way note to note, a la latter-day Konitz.

I've searched the threads and found Bernie's name mentioned, but it looks like it's high time he's got his own thread as he will turn 70 next year according to his Wikipedia entry. He's a fine and distinctive Australian altoist who's sometimes been compared to Ornette, but that comparison's way off the mark as far as I'm concerned. He does have free-boppish overtones to his playing, but he's not as hard-edged or free as prime Ornette. Many of his records have been put out on the Rufus records label (Rufus Records) and a couple were reissued in the U.S. and are available used for next to nothing on Amazon. I'm two CDs behind on him - Live at Side On and Blues for Pablo Too. Anyone heard these two or know of a good outlet for them in the U.S.?

Side at Live On and Blues for Pablo Too are both available from Cadence.

I'm unfamiliar with his music. Can anyone make a recommendation of a good Bernie McGann recording?

Side at Live On and Blues for Pablo Too are both available from Cadence.

I'm unfamiliar with his music. Can anyone make a recommendation of a good Bernie McGann recording?

Indeed they are, I thought I remembered checking there but I must have remembered incorrectly.

McGann, McGann, Playground, and Bundeena are all excellent. The first two are available on the Terra Nova imprint in the U.S. Looking through my stuff here I discovered a second copy of Bundeena. Paul, if you want it as part of the "Pay it Forward" game let me know by PM, I'll earmark it for you.

• 1 year later...