NFL chat thread

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's more like it then.

"Ashen"? Oh my. "Crestfallen", yeah, that's pretty normal. "Despodent", that I can sympathize with. But ashen? Good god, did his wife die in a car wreck or something?

(No, I ain't cutting him any slack. At least not this morning while I still got the postgame thankgodthefukkersgotbeat buzz going. :g )

the Bears can't afford to be in a situation where Rex has to perform.

Yeah, that's been the thing all season, right? But yesterday, he came through big when they needed him to. Whether that was a true stepping up or just one of those flukey things remains to be seen.

No clear pick in my mind right now, which is kinda cool.

All I ask is, please, no remakes of "The Superbowl Shuffle". :g:g:g

Is it just me, or does Belicheck seem to not handle defeat as graciously as would befit an unquestionably great & successful coach of championship teams?

Another thing to mention is that I've never known really driven people to accept defeat gracefully. They just don't.

I don't think Ali was very good at admitting defeat; neither were Gary Kasaparov nor Bobby Fischer in chess. They hated to LOSE. Maybe Belichick is the same. I don't think he's got any kind of a life outside of football.

I'll bet Belichick is cheesed off at the Pats ownership. The Pats paid the price for being cheap at wide receiver. It would have even been worse if Vinateri (sp?) had done them in.

Well I guess enough time has passed for even the Cowboys' fans to have a chuckle.....

tonyohno.gif

Congrats to the Indy/Chicago fans on the board. I didn't think either of your teams had what it takes to get to the SB this year. Clearly, they both do.

Edited by Chalupa

Looks like the Cowboys need a head coach.

Wow. I read an article somewhere about the 'conspiracy theories" surrounding Parcell's slow process of decision-making. The one theory I really wondered about was whether his plan was to wait out the other coaching changes to leave Jones in a position with no decent options left. :g

Wow. I read an article somewhere about the 'conspiracy theories" surrounding Parcell's slow process of decision-making. The one theory I really wondered about was whether his plan was to wait out the other coaching changes to leave Jones in a position with no decent options left. :g

parcells is as masterful at playing the coaching game as hillary at playing the politicking game.

tony wins super bowl, leaves for the ministry, and bill steps in as head coach?

(jeff fisher, norv turner, houston nutt, for the cowboys?)

Edited by alocispepraluger102

I've been saying that for years.

HOLY CRAP! I thought you guys were just kidding.

Tuna Cans Self

Parcells retires from coaching, leaving Cowboys after 4 seasons

JAIME ARON

Associated Press

IRVING, Texas - Bill Parcells retired from coaching Monday, leaving the Dallas Cowboys after four seasons and ending a stellar career that featured three Super Bowl appearances and two championships.

The announcement came 15 days after the Cowboys' season ended with a heartbreaking playoff loss in Seattle. He'd been at his office nearly every day since, and there were other indications that the 65-year-old coach was returning for a fifth year in Dallas and 20th as an NFL head coach.

"I am retiring from coaching football," Parcells said in a statement. "I want to thank Jerry Jones and Stephen Jones for their tremendous support over the last four years. Also, the players, my coaching staff and others in the support group who have done so much to help. Dallas is a great city and the Cowboys are an integral part of it. I am hopeful that they are able to go forward from here."

The announcement came in a morning e-mail. There was no immediate statement from Jones, the team owner, although one was planned for later in the day. There were no immediate plans for a news conference.

"I am in good health and feel lucky to have been able to coach in the NFL for an extended period of time," Parcells said. "I leave the game and the NFL with nothing but good feelings and gratitude to all the players, coaches and other people that have assisted me in that regard. "

Parcells won two Super Bowls with the New York Giants. He came to Dallas four seasons ago energized by the challenge of restoring glory to "America's Team." He went 34-32 and definitely left the Cowboys better than he found them, but his tenure ultimately may be remembered for the lack of a playoff victory.

His teams went 0-2 in the postseason. Dallas appeared headed to a breakthrough win this month in Seattle, but Pro Bowl quarterback Tony Romo botched the hold on a short field goal with a little more than a minute left and the Cowboys lost 21-20. They lost four of their last five games, including the final three, after holding a two-game division lead in December.

Dallas hasn't won a playoff game since 1996, easily the longest skid in the history of the franchise that's been to a record eight Super Bowls.

Parcells' legacy with the Cowboys can be framed this way: Instead of joining Tom Landry, Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer as coaches who led them to championships, he leaves lumped with Chan Gailey and Dave Campo.

Edited by Chalupa

Parcells' legacy with the Cowboys can be framed this way: Instead of joining Tom Landry, Jimmy Johnson and Barry Switzer as coaches who led them to championships, he leaves lumped with Chan Gailey and Dave Campo.

Wow, that's a bit harsh. I think he has done more for the Cowboys than either of those two. I think at the very least he's toughened them up mentally (with the exception of Bird Brain Owens). I will say I think he's better at acquiring talent than he is as a game day coach.

Condolences to Conn. I left Mammoth mountain and the Pats were up 21-3. Must have been an epic collapse.

I hope the Colts win the whole enchilada.

Thanks Noj, but I'm okay.

Defence did do a big collapse, but Colts can score on anybody.

It just wasn't our year, and we probably outperfomed expectations.

Re: Belichick beeing cheesed at the ownership for letting go players. I think BB was the one who played a big role in letting those players go. Ownership leaves all those decisions up to him and Scott Pioli.

If there's anything to regret it would be the strange playcalling in the second half where Brady was in shotgun formation for much of it. The team has so much confidence in Brady that it isn't funny. I can understand that, but it's good not to score too fast. Get a few running plays in and let the D get a good blow on the sidelines. Strange offensive playcalls on the part of the Pats. Other than that, the players played their hearts out. No regrets. They left everything out on the field and proved they are one of the top handful of teams...still!