NFL chat thread

Pats cooled off at end of season and right into the playoffs. Did the Pats give up or did Bilichick give up. One or all will be gone next year, except Brady and Moss and Welker and his standin Sunday. Defense is shot.

Not at all. Belichick will be back. They did win their division if a "bad" year. Shows you how high are expectations. Defense isn't shot at all. The defense is young and inexperienced. They have a lot of growing to do. Four picks in the first two rounds of the upcoming draft won't hurt the team.

So, you're saying the Pats are retooling and you think with the four picks they will be vastly improved, maybe win their divisiion again and maybe go further in the playoffs next year. OK, I'll buy that.

:-)

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pats cooled off at end of season and right into the playoffs. Did the Pats give up or did Bilichick give up. One or all will be gone next year, except Brady and Moss and Welker and his standin Sunday. Defense is shot.

Not at all. Belichick will be back. They did win their division if a "bad" year. Shows you how high are expectations. Defense isn't shot at all. The defense is young and inexperienced. They have a lot of growing to do. Four picks in the first two rounds of the upcoming draft won't hurt the team.

Their (other?) big problem looked like the O-line, or blocking schemes, to me. They had no clue. Brady was running for his life.

One of those espn dudes described Moss as a great guy to have around when things are going good, not such a great asset when things are going bad.

So, you're saying the Pats are retooling and you think with the four picks they will be vastly improved, maybe win their divisiion again and maybe go further in the playoffs next year. OK, I'll buy that.

:-)

Yes, I think four picks in the first two rounds of the draft will help quite a bit, but more importantly, a lot of young players will have had a season or two under their belt. DL Myron Pryor will enter his second year, along with DL Ron Brace. CB Jonathan Wilhite will enter his third year, and CB Darius Butler will be in his second. Safety Brandon Meriweather will enter his fourth year and LBs Gary Guton and Jerod Mayo will go into their third year. Rookie receiver Julian Edelman will go into his second year, as will Tackle Sebastian Vollmer. Safety Patrick Chung enters his second year as well. There are also a couple of promising rookies on Injured Reserve who will go into their second year. The team lost their veteran leaders, Richard Seymour, Teddi Bruschke, Rodney Harrison, and Mike Vrabel this season. It got young and inexperienced instead and it showed throughout the season. With the draft picks and another year under their belts, I do believe the team will be better. They will also get rid of some dead wood veterans such as Adalius Thomas and Jarvis Green. Guard Stephen Neal is likely to retire. There are a couple of important players to extend to a long term contract or just place a franchise tag, such as Vince Wilfork and Logan Mankins. Yes, it was a transition year for sure. Next year could be a continuation of the transition for all we know, but the team has a major youth movement going on right now, and with lots of draft picks over the next couple of years (they have Oakland's first rounder for 2011 draft) they'll continue to add talent. The team has proven (along with Pittsburgh, San Diego, and Indianapolis) to be superior in maximising draft potential. btw, I think Welker will be out next year as well. They'll have to get a WR free agent plus draft one or two receivers.

Edited by connoisseur series500

The Pats are actually likely to have more draft picks than I previously posted. I quote one poster from the team forum:

So The Pats have

Their 1st (22), 2nd (54), 4th, 6th, & 7th

Plus comp picks in the 6th, and 3 more in the 7th (which are untradeable)

Plus Jacksonville's 2nd (42 or 44, depending on a coin flip)

and Tennessee's 2nd (47 or 48, depending on a different coin flip)

and Philly's 7th.

Which brings us to a grand total of 13 draft picks in the upcoming draft four of which will be in the top 54 picks, and seven of which will be in rounds 6 and 7.

Seems like they can miss on quite a few picks and still have a good draft. Seventh rounders can be quite useful in the NFL.

17-3 Vikings over the Cowboys at the half. Romo has had 3 fumbles already, which is uncharacteristic of him. The OL hasn't given him protection or time to get his passes off, so it's all on them. And Flozell Adams is out, so not looking good.

Vikings are playing pretty well, too. Not taking anything away from them. The 1st TD seemed to have sparked them.

Oh, this is GREAT!! Romo flung down on 3rd...then they miss FG!! I cannot believe that the refs missed two back-to-back calls in the last series with Favre getting dropped after the whistle and then the holding! Whaaa?? Horrible officiating! :tdown:tdown

GO VIKES!!! :party:

Edited by Son-of-a-Weizen

Seems to me there is palpable disappointment in the tone of Joe Buck and Aikman.

Weren't they in the booth pre-game talking about how Favre historically hadn't done well against the Cowboys in post-season play and that it would be on his mind? Sure. :crazy:

Really impressive, too, how the Vikings defense has completely blown up the Cowboys offense.

Vikings, Saints and Colts -- the three "rested" squads -- all looked much sharper than their opponents, the teams that had to keep playing.

Jets keep playing!!!!!excited.gifexcited.gifexcited.gifNew-York-Jets.JPG

Colts will crush them.

And "Sad" Diego just plain sucks.

Norv Turner proves once again that he can't win the big one....a 57 yard FG attempt?!? WTF?

Colts may win but they won't be crushed and I tell ya if the Colts play like they did yesterday, the Jets will win, no doubt about it. The Ravens game was very winnable but the Ravens just make mistake after mistake.

Jets keep playing!!!!!excited.gifexcited.gifexcited.gifNew-York-Jets.JPG

Colts will crush them.

And "Sad" Diego just plain sucks.

Norv Turner proves once again that he can't win the big one....a 57 yard FG attempt?!? WTF?

Colts may win but they won't be crushed and I tell ya if the Colts play like they did yesterday, the Jets will win, no doubt about it. The Ravens game was very winnable but the Ravens just make mistake after mistake.

I like the Jets chances though the smart money favors the Colts.

Did anyone see that call in the 2nd quarter(?) when the zebras in the booth overturned the call on the field of a SD receiver's catch and fumble making it an incomplete pass? That was just horrible. I was starting to think the fix was in for the Jets.

Yeah...and of course when the Saints prevailed last night over the Cards 45-14, there wasn't any chatter about running up the score. :rolleyes:

What was Brookings crying about?? It's freaking football - deal with it. If he can't maybe he should switch to something like badminton.

The New York-centric sports media seems to be going bonkers for the Jets-Colts game. I'm seeing images of Namath waging his finger as he leaves the field after SB III, images of Unitas, footage of Mayflower moving vans pulling out of Baltimore in the middle of the night, top ten reasons the Jets will win lists, and on and on ...

The Jets are a nice story, and aside from the endless NY hype that would no doubt follow, I wouldn't mind seeing them win, but is anybody willing to put real money on them? (hypothetically speaking, of course) ... New York is getting 7.

The Jets are a nice story, and aside from the endless NY hype that would no doubt follow, I wouldn't mind seeing them win, but is anybody willing to put real money on them? (hypothetically speaking, of course) ... New York is getting 7.

If you put money on the Jets last week you have more money now... I think the Jets can at least cover the spread, and they are playing greaaaaat defense.

If you put money on the Jets last week you have more money now... I think the Jets can at least cover the spread, and they are playing greaaaaat defense.

A friend/acquaintance of my boss put 100 dimes (dime = $1,000, apparently) on the Cowboys and 25 dimes (heh-hem, professional gambler talk) each on the Cards, Ravens and Jets. Took the dogs to cover in each game. I get the sense that people who do regularly gamble on games kind of spread things out like this, rather than pick just one game.

I think the favorite covers more often than the dog, so it's a risky bet to begin with. But I wouldn't bet against Manning. I'll take the Colts to cover, but only an actual dime, not the other kind.

;)

While the Viking's Sunday beat down won't erase the sting associated with the Eagles' late season pancake, it does ease the pain. If there's anything better in sports than watching the Cowboys get beaten like a rented mule, I don't know what it is. Minnesota could have run up another two or three TD's and it wouldn't have been enough for me. America' team can KMA.