Ballads with Drum Solos

Guy Berger

The ballad "Sweet Song" on Stanley Cowell's Travellin' Man ( aka Blues For the Vietcong ) features Jimmy Hopps pretty much soloing throughout it . Even allowing for the fact that Hopps is way upfront in the mix , this track doesn't work for me at all . The rest of the album does work for me though .

I assume there'd be some ballad-like Trane performances with Elvin not actually soloing but really contributing a lot to the vibe of the performances, on albums like "Crescent", "Coltrane" (the Impulse one - "Out of this World"), "Quartet Plays", and maybe even on "Sun Ship".

Mel Lewis solos excellently on a track titled "Brushes" usually listed with Zoot Sims as the leader. It was recorded on a Annie Ross session for Pacific Jazz and is a bonus track on her "A Gasser" CD.

Mel Lewis also solos and plays part of the theme on a track of the Thad Jones - Pepper Adams LP/CD on Milestone, "Mean What You Say"