Horace Silver and the Jazz Messengers

Guy Berger

An interesting thing about the Silver & Jazz Messengers album is that Horace seems to use the same voicings for the horns as Ray Charles did a few months earlier in his December 1953 recording session in New Orleans, from which came his first hit to utilise Gospel forms, "Don't you know".

I don't think "Don't you know" had been released at the time of the first Silver & Jazz Mesengers session in February 1954, but I've often wondered whether Horace saw Ray performing the tune. Or whether their both using similar voicings and bringing in Gospel patterns was simply a coincidence deriving from the "spirit of the time".

The first session for this album was in December or November 1954. You might be confusing it with the Blakey Birdland date, which was recorded in February 1954.

Guy

Edited by Guy

An interesting thing about the Silver & Jazz Messengers album is that Horace seems to use the same voicings for the horns as Ray Charles did a few months earlier in his December 1953 recording session in New Orleans, from which came his first hit to utilise Gospel forms, "Don't you know".

I don't think "Don't you know" had been released at the time of the first Silver & Jazz Mesengers session in February 1954, but I've often wondered whether Horace saw Ray performing the tune. Or whether their both using similar voicings and bringing in Gospel patterns was simply a coincidence deriving from the "spirit of the time".

The first session for this album was in December or November 1954. You might be confusing it with the Blakey Birdland date, which was recorded in February 1954.

Guy

You're right! So Horace would certainly have been listening to this Ray Charles stuff on the radio a few months before he recorded.

MG