Charles Mingus meets Cat Anderson

EKE BBB

Reportedly this has come out on CD this year, on the Fruit Tree label.

Originally it was issued (as an unauthorized and pretty rare LP, I think) on the Unique Jazz label (UJ 20), as shown here:

Charles Mingus

Mingus Quintet Meets Cat Anderson

(P) Unique Jazz

Unique Jazz UJ 20

LP (unauthorized)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tracks

Celia (17:35) (Mingus)

Perdido (18:30) (Tizol)

Personnel

Joe Gardner - trumpet

Hamiet Bluiett - baritone sax

John Foster - piano

Charles Mingus - bass

Roy Brooks - drums, musical saw

Cat Anderson - trumpet on 2

Information

Date and location

November 5, 1972, Philharmonie, Berlin

Original issue

Unique Jazz UJ20

Comments

Priestley lists following unissued airshot tracks: 'Fables Of Faubus', 'Blues For Roy's Saw' and 'Peggy's Blue Skylight'.

Has anybody got the CD release? Does it include the other three mentioned tracks ('Fables...', 'Blues for...' and 'Peggy´s...').

Here´s the original cover of the Unique Jazz LP:

uj20-s.jpg

Thanks in advance.

• 10 months later...

Being a Mingus completist, I had to pick up this album just out of curiosity. I've heard many people dismiss this album, as "sedated Mingus" since this date came right when Mingus got back in the game in the early 70s. However, this 1972 live recording has a very smiliar feel to the Carnegie Hall date, as the sound of the band has that pre-Changes I and II feel. Well, this album features to standards Perdido and Celia that essentially turn into a jam session. On Celia, Hamiet Bluett really lets loose. He does a nice job playing within the structure of the song and then letting loose but never losing control. His sqealing sounds an awful lot like George Coleman. On Perdido, there are some nice moments. First Cat Anderson joins the group and his contribution reminds me of MIngus's work with Roy Eldridge's collaboration on the Newport Rebel tracks. Pianist, John Forster, takes a page from Jaki Byard and breaks into a boogie woogie/classical/classical march solo. Needless to say, if you're a fan of the Carnegie Hall date, you'll enjoy this release. he sound is good, a little too much treble, would like more bass. However, I'm glad I got this release.

Lou

From a very recent thread on this album:

Being a Mingus completist, I had to pick up this album just out of curiosity. I've heard many people dismiss this album, as "sedated Mingus" since this date came right when Mingus got back in the game in the early 70s. However, this 1972 live recording has a very smiliar feel to the Carnegie Hall date, as the sound of the band has that pre-Changes I and II feel. Well, this album features to standards Perdido and Celia that essentially turn into a jam session. On Celia, Hamiet Bluett really lets loose. He does a nice job playing within the structure of the song and then letting loose but never losing control. His sqealing sounds an awful lot like George Coleman. On Perdido, there are some nice moments. First Cat Anderson joins the group and his contribution reminds me of MIngus's work with Roy Eldridge's collaboration on the Newport Rebel tracks. Pianist, John Forster, takes a page from Jaki Byard and breaks into a boogie woogie/classical/classical march solo. Needless to say, if you're a fan of the Carnegie Hall date, you'll enjoy this release. he sound is good, a little too much treble, would like more bass. However, I'm glad I got this release.

Lou

• 2 months later...

This got me to thinking aobut another meeting between Mingus & Cat Anderson from roughly the same time - the Newport In New York jam session that got released on Cobblestone. there was some magic happening on that gig, even if it was more of a group thing and not specific to either Mingus or Anderson.

Mosaic Select, where are you?

Guess this is that date, right?:

Various Artists - Newport In New York '72: The Jam Sessions, Vol. 1&2 (Cobblestone CST 9025-2)

Cat Anderson, Jimmy Owens (tp) Charles McPherson (as) Buddy Tate (ts) Roland Hanna (p) Milt Buckner (org) Charles Mingus (b) Alan Dawson (d)

Radio City Music Hall, NYC, July 6, 1972

25534 Jumpin' At The Woodside

25535 Lo-Slo Blues

And getting back to the "Mingus Quintet meets Cat Anderson" disc, it looks like there's yet another issued Mingus-Anderson performance from the same European tour:

Various Artists - Jazz Jamboree '72 (Muza [Poland] XL 0929)

Cat Anderson (tp) Hamiet Bluiett (bars) John Russell Foster (p) Charles Mingus (b) Roy Brooks (d)

'Jazz Jamboree', Warsaw, Poland, 1972

Celia

** also issued on Muza [Poland] SXL 0929.

Various Artists - Newport In New York '72: The Jam Sessions, Vol. 1&2 (Cobblestone CST 9025-2)

Cat Anderson, Jimmy Owens (tp) Charles McPherson (as) Buddy Tate (ts) Roland Hanna (p) Milt Buckner (org) Charles Mingus (b) Alan Dawson (d)

25535 Lo-Slo Blues

Yep, that's it.

Mighty fine stuff!

25535 Lo-Slo Blues

And getting back to the "Mingus Quintet meets Cat Anderson" disc, it looks like there's yet another issued Mingus-Anderson performance from the same European tour:

Various Artists - Jazz Jamboree '72 (Muza [Poland] XL 0929)

Cat Anderson (tp) Hamiet Bluiett (bars) John Russell Foster (p) Charles Mingus (b) Roy Brooks (d)

'Jazz Jamboree', Warsaw, Poland, 1972

Celia

** also issued on Muza [Poland] SXL 0929.

Freakin'' Buddy Tate and Milt Buckner w/ Mingus. That shit must be hot!