Red Mitchell

Late

flat 5 mentioned Red Mitchell with Warne Marsh. I like Big Two Vol. 1 a lot. Was there a Vol. 2? I seem to recall seeing it listed somewhere, but I'm not certain.

I have a soft spot in my heart (some anti-Red folks might say it's in my head, but that's cool) for the duo album he co-led with Jim Hall on Artists House, and for the John Lewis Album, with Lewis, Putte Wickman, and Mitchell, on Japanese Finesse.

flat 5 mentioned Red Mitchell with Warne Marsh. I like Big Two Vol. 1 a lot. Was there a Vol. 2? I seem to recall seeing it listed somewhere, but I'm not certain.

It is really confusing. An lp was issued on Storyville, later reissued as vol. 2. Vol. 1 was previously unissued material. On top of that, Fresh Sound issued an NPR broadcast of the duo - so there are 3 discs on the market.

• 16 years later...

Solid Records of Japan issued two CDs (with strikingly creative artwork) of never-before-released Mitchell studio sessions recorded in the Netherlands for Timeless in 1989. With Dado Moroni, Sweets Edison, Ben Riley and Adrienne West on a couple of tracks:

https://www.discogs.com/release/25374409-Red-Mitchell-And-Friends-feat-Harry-Sweets-Edison-Days-Of-Wine-And-ROses 

https://www.discogs.com/release/24697517-Red-Mitchell-And-Friends-Teach-Me-Tonight

81tZY8KDSaL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

916jCXhtv7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Nice stuff, Mitchell's heavy pick-uped bass and wrooom-wrooom style notwithstanding. 

Edited by Д.Д.