New Messengers DVD?

Dan Gould

IIRC, there is a 90-minute Jazz Messengers concert floating about on video, from Paris in '59 I'm pretty sure. Wonder if it's the same thing (from the same concert).

I've got a copy of the 90-minute thing somewhere, actually -- if I can dig it up, and if the label hasn't fallen off the tape (which dates back to about 1991), I'll see what it says. By my memory is "90 minutes" and "Paris".

(And according to the link, this DVD is but 51 minutes long, with another 15 minutes of audio-only music.)

I found this on the Jazzmessengers.com site:

114419.jpg

Release date is 2006 but I can't find this on Amazon. Anyone seen this around? Looks like a great disc to pair with that Jazz Icons release.

Dan, make sure you can play that DVD. It is certainly not region-coded, but the video may be in PAL format, which not all US equipment is compatible with.

I saw this on Netflix, but the also have it as unavailable.

Bertrand.

Thanks for that info...I hope they DO get it (sometimes things stay in that category forever!). I need to email Netflix about getting the Jazz Icons DVD series....I find it strange that they get so many of these off brand releases (like those IDEM/Disconforme discs), but have missed the best single series out there!

Thanks, Tom, those are the Jazz Icons releases that have been raved about elsewhere. They're definitely on my radar, along with this other Blakey video.

I love these- I've been using several of them in my jazz history class. They're excellent, great quality. I picked up the Quincy, Basie, Chet, Dizzy and Blakey and they are all great. I'll probably end end getting the rest. Good liner notes too!

Thanks, Tom, those are the Jazz Icons releases that have been raved about elsewhere. They're definitely on my radar, along with this other Blakey video.

I love these- I've been using several of them in my jazz history class. They're excellent, great quality. I picked up the Quincy, Basie, Chet, Dizzy and Blakey and they are all great. I'll probably end end getting the rest. Good liner notes too!

The same folks who produced the excellent American Folk Blues Festval series. I own the first 2 volumes and can't say enough great things about them. :tup:tup:tup

Just curious Paul - where are you teaching?

Just curious Paul - where are you teaching?

UMKC. I picked up the fall history class at the last minute, which was very fortuitous given my situation.

This will probably be my last year in KC- I am applying for full-time teaching jobs elsewhere(and hopefully will land one!).

Sounds cool - I was first turned on to jazz through a jazz history class in college. It was an "easy A" type of class, but I was so impressed by the instructor's passion for the artists that I turned into a fan myself. Dick Wright was the guy, who is something of a local legend in Lawrence. He did a Saturday am jazz show on KANU for years. He also oversaw the KU collection of jazz lps, which is immense. He was also an accomplished opera singer and used to sing the national anthem at basketball games.

Good luck with your search ... we will miss having you on the scene ... maybe there would be an opportunity at KU ... Dick passed on a few years ago ... don't know how they have filled the void. Would keep you close to Bryant's ;)

Edited by Eric

I was first turned on to jazz through a jazz history class in college. It was an "easy A" type of class, but I was so impressed by the instructor's passion for the artists that I turned into a fan myself. Dick Wright was the guy, who is something of a local legend in Lawrence. He did a Saturday am jazz show on KANU for years. He also oversaw the KU collection of jazz lps, which is immense. He was also an accomplished opera singer and used to sing the national anthem at basketball games.

I knew Dick very well. I wish I could have studied jazz history with him! You were very fortunate. If you expressed an interest in a particular artist, without warning he would present you w/a cassette compilation of that artist, and he always knew the best stuff to include. He was one in a million.

When I found out I was moving to KC I was looking forward to hanging w/Dick more often, but he passed away around that time.

His favorite trombonist was Fontana, how could I not love him! :)

• 3 weeks later...