the Tony Mosaic

This is my first time hearing the Tony Williams quintet studio sides.

you're in for quite a treat...

-e-

I've never heard the original albums, and I am intrigued. However, Tony Williams using electronic drums and a drum machine is keeping me from buying this set.

Edited by J.A.W.

Hans don't let that discourage you from experiencing some wonderful music. The electronics are used in a musical way and are not invasive at all, as used on tunes such as "Geo Rose" "Foreign Intrigue" and "My Michele". Having finished disc 1, I plan to dive into the rest in a while. Having heard this group perform much of this repetoire on "Tokyo Live", they get so much more breathing room, although the studio stuff has its charms as well. The mix is fine, contrary to Scott Yanow's original comments on Bobby Hutcherson's playing on the "Foreign Intrigue" album, he does not drown Bobby out here. Where Bobby is drowned out however is on "Qing Wen" from Kenny Garrett's most recent :ph34r:

Edited by CJ Shearn

elctronic drums on this set...??? i don't recall them. not having heard these sides in a awhile i can say for certain that any electroinics are as understated as they can possibly be. this is intelligent (primarily?) acoustic jazz from the 80's at its very best.

-e-

Edited by etherbored

I'm somewhat amused, happily, that there is excitement about this set, and that Mosaic considers this music worthy of reissue. At the time these records came out, nobody bought them, and they were considered stiffs (from a sales standpoint) at the time. I know, I'm a dealer, and they did not sell!

I saw the group live around 1992, and they burned! The "Live in Tokyo" (which apparently is not included) is probably the best thing this group released.

Anyway, I'm glad that a new generation of listeners is getting achance to hear this music which was largely ignored at the time.

I don't recall any electronic drums - I guess I'll have to go back and listen again. :cool:

I've just listened to the audio clip of "Life of the Party" on the Mosaic site, and I could be wrong, but it does sound as if there's drum machine, along with Williams' "own" drumming. Judging by the clip, the drumming is indeed quite loud and Hutcherson sounds "drowned" in the mix. I couldn't hear any electronics on my computer speakers.

Edited by J.A.W.

I've just listened to the audio clip of "Life of the Party" on the Mosaic site, and I could be wrong, but it does sound as if there's drum machine, along with Williams' "own" drumming. Judging by the clip, the drumming is indeed quite loud and Hutcherson sounds "drowned" in the mix. I couldn't hear any electronics on my computer speakers.

no drum machines gents, just Tony playing electronic drums on the intro to one tune on Foreign Intrigue. with Hutcherson and Carter. The first one in the series. something tells me it was Cuscuna's idea. :rolleyes:

no drum machines gents, just Tony playing electronic drums on the intro to one tune on Foreign Intrigue. with Hutcherson and Carter. The first one in the series. something tells me it was Cuscuna's idea. :rolleyes:

From Mosaic's discography:

(A) Wallace Roney, trumpet; Donald Harrison, alto sax; Bobby Hutcherson, vibes; Mulgrew Miller, piano; Ron Carter, bass; Tony Williams, drums, electronic drums, drum machine.

Recorded at M & I Studios, New York City on June 18 & 19, 1985

Recording and remix engineer: Peter Darmi

Produced by Tony Williams and Michael Cuscuna

Originally issued as FOREIGN INTRIGUE (Blue Note BT-85119)

(B) Wallace Roney, trumpet; Bill Pierce, tenor sax, soprano sax: Mulgrew Miller, piano; Charnett Moffett, bass; Tony Williams, drums, drum machine.

Recorded at Capitol Studio B, Los Angeles on November 24-26, 1986

Recording and remix engineer: David Cole

Produced by Tony Williams and David Cole

Originally issued on CIVILIZATION (Blue Note BT 85138)

Edited by J.A.W.

FWIW, the drum machine and electronic drums in the set consist of Simmons toms (not used to excess like on pop recordings) merely used as another color, and a few handclaps (like the ones Run DMC used) and on "Civilization" the only thing using drum machine is "Geo Rose" which is quite cool, a well sampled conga sound.

Edited by CJ Shearn

Still recall the thrill of picking up 'Civilization' back at its time of original release on vinyl. Change did at long last seem to be in the air after all those years of fusion, with TW leading his own jazz group.

I have all of the sessions on CD and vinyl so won't be picking up the Mosaic. A shame they haven't included 'Tokyo Live' (when will that elusive number ever get reissued? :wacko: )

Saw the group for free back in 1990 and it was every bit as good as expected.