Miles In Europe 1967 DVD

JSngry

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yo, that Karlsruhe shit is off the freakin' hook. Gotta be a story there...

Yep - a magnificent performance, Shorter and Williams in particular. They sound like they have been let off the leash after months of confinement.

Yo, that Karlsruhe shit is off the freakin' hook. Gotta be a story there...

It's a great gig, though not obviously superior (except in terms of the setlist) to any of the others on that tour.

Guy

Karlsruhe is significantly more visceral than Oslo (which is, of course, not necessarily "superior"). It's rougher from the git-go. The staging is nowhere near as austere as in Oslo (the lighting in particular is really wack - one minute it's full house, then it drops down to spot-llit, then it's back up to full house, back & forth, with no real rhyme or reason), and the way that everybody kinda stumbles outta the wings is really :blink: (or :g ). Wayne & Herbie both have facial expression & body language that leads me to wonder if maybe they might not have had a few before right before the set, and Tony's constantly having to hassle w/his hi-hat, trying to keep it from sliding away. Hell, you can even see Ron Carter tuning up during the first number. When was the last time you ever saw Ron Carter tune up? :g:g:g

No, Oslo's more hit it and quit it, whereas Karlsruhe's more hit it and keep hittin' it. Both excellent, but one definitely less "cool" than the other.

And the look on Miles' face (from the wings) after Wayne finishes on "Walkin'" is priceless. As is Wayne's solo.

Just got my copy in the mail today. I also ordered the '87 Chet Baker in Tokyo- I have the CD and have always thought it was some of the best late Chet I've heard. I was pleasantly surprised to see it out on DVD.

Looking forward to watching both of these. Thanks for the heads-up! :party:

Jazzmatazz is/was great, and I do miss it, but this board really keeps me on top of stuff I never would have known about. It's become my primary source of information- lots of knowledge here. :tup:g

Karlsruhe is significantly more visceral than Oslo...

Do you mean Stockholm? AFAIK, there is no Oslo recording from this tour.

Karlsruhe is indeed more intense that Stockholm but Stockholm is perhaps more of the anomoly in terms of the audio from this tour. Antwerp may be the most intense set, though it's hard to choose. Stockholm is probably the tamest.

Isn't Karlsruhe the set that was excerpted in the "Miles Ahead" documentary?

Got mine yesterday. Watched the Karlsruhe date last night.

The disk is a bargain but the video is...fair. It was dubbed from a tape that was already a couple of generations out. Also, there is a bad noise bar...the kind that comes from folded or crushed tape...at about 57:30.

The '67 Stockholm and Karlsruhe dates are available separately for a lot more from Japan. I'm wondering if they used better source material. In the meantime, though, I'm glad I sprung.

Thanks, Jim.

• 1 month later...

Hey, I'm just being a "good citizen". I appreciate the numerous heads up I get from y'all, so when the opportunity comes to return the favor, it's a pleasure to do so.

Jim, have you seen the DVD yet? How's the sound quality? Picture quality "Pretty decent, all things considering" is all I'm lookin' for -- doesn't have to be any better than "pretty decent". Mono sound, I'm assuming - which is also OK by me.

About to pull the trigger, but looking for some firsthand feedback about this particular DVD incarnation of the material (since there are so many DVD's of this kind of stuff).

Oh, ONE MORE THING, is the DVD a DVD-R?? -- or a real, "silver" DVD??

I cannot answer the technical questions, but the music is excellent. I think it would be right up your alley, Rooster, especially the band w/ Dejohnette, Corea, Holland, and Shorter. The classic quintet is great too, but both gigs are excellent in my opinion. Miles still had some good chops at this time. I recommend it.

I cannot answer the technical questions, but the music is excellent. I think it would be right up your alley, Rooster, especially the band w/ Dejohnette, Corea, Holland, and Shorter. The classic quintet is great too, but both gigs are excellent in my opinion. Miles still had some good chops at this time. I recommend it.

You got a DVD w/the Dejohnette, Corea, Holland, and Shorter band? What's that all about?

It's called Miles Davis "Plays it Cool."

Classic quintet in Stockholm, Oct. 31, 1967.

1. Agitation

2. Footprints

3. Round About Midnight

4. Gingerbread Boy

5. The Theme

Miles/Shorter/Corea/Holland/DeJohnette.

Rome, Oct. 27, 1969.

1. Sanctuary

2. Directions.

Black and White video. Both video and sound are good, imo.

Miles/Shorter/Corea/Holland/DeJohnette.

Rome, Oct. 27, 1969.

1. Sanctuary

2. Directions.

Black and White video. Both video and sound are good, imo.

There's a lot more to this concert. The highlight is an abstract collective improvisation (Miles sits out) on "This".

Guy

Well, it's clear that they left stuff out. I'm happy seeing what they include. Were these "issued" on dvd anywhere else?